Thread: Pulling Transmission

Pulling Transmission

Quick question - can the transmission be pulled without pulling the engine? Easy? Difficult? My Toploader appears to be packing it in, and so now I have a great cold weather project.

Gary

Gary, the trans comes out thru the bottom and is pretty easy to get out, you will have to disconnect the shifter , drive shaft, trans cross member and safety loop. Let me know if I can help, Alan.

Gary, the trans comes out thru the bottom and is pretty easy to get out, you will have to disconnect the shifter , drive shaft, trans cross member and safety loop. Let me know if I can help, Alan.

Thanks, Alan.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Thanks, Alan.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Hi Gary
    Alan is right about pulling the transmission....with the cross member out, there is enough play in the engine mounts to allow the trans. to tilt down slightly and pull away from the engine quite easily.
    I run two different automatic boxes in my 427 SC....a three speed for around town and a four speed AOD for long distance trips....I've got it down to where I can change tranny's in about half a day.
    Big difference with the AOD box...only turns about 1500 RPM at 72 MPH.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Hi Gary
    Alan is right about pulling the transmission....with the cross member out, there is enough play in the engine mounts to allow the trans. to tilt down slightly and pull away from the engine quite easily.
    I run two different automatic boxes in my 427 SC....a three speed for around town and a four speed AOD for long distance trips....I've got it down to where I can change tranny's in about half a day.
    Big difference with the AOD box...only turns about 1500 RPM at 72 MPH.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Just swapped out my old Toploader for a rebuilt unit - pretty much a snap just as Alan & Mike indicated. Glad I don't have an ERA - the cross-member is permanent, and the trans has to come out through the cockpit, after loosening the engine mounts etc, etc. - a very big project. Sure is nice to have syncros again!

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Just swapped out my old Toploader for a rebuilt unit - pretty much a snap just as Alan & Mike indicated. Glad I don't have an ERA - the cross-member is permanent, and the trans has to come out through the cockpit, after loosening the engine mounts etc, etc. - a very big project. Sure is nice to have syncros again!

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Silk:

Give me a call, if you would, re: your transmission. 800-356-0520. Ask for Dan. Appreciate it and thanks.

Silk:

Give me a call, if you would, re: your transmission. 800-356-0520. Ask for Dan. Appreciate it and thanks.