Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat options for a FIA??

I struck out on the tempur foam. Have any of you guys found a solution - my ass hurts.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Hey guys: I am replacing the foam in my seat as we speak, Its easy - remove the staples in the back half
    of the seat cushions, there is 2 sections of foam (front and rear)
    only the rear needs to be replaced (cuz that where your
    arzs is). Then take that rear section of foam to an uhpolstry shop or better yet a shop that does boat interior work and get them to cut 2pcs of high density
    foam to match. I had mine cut a 1/2inch thicker than
    what came in it.
    Lookin at a/b $10 or $15 and 1hr of labor.
    Also you may want to do away with those screws
    in the bottom of you seats and use heavy duty velcro
    to hold them in place.

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Hey guys: I am replacing the foam in my seat as we speak, Its easy - remove the staples in the back half
    of the seat cushions, there is 2 sections of foam (front and rear)
    only the rear needs to be replaced (cuz that where your
    arzs is). Then take that rear section of foam to an uhpolstry shop or better yet a shop that does boat interior work and get them to cut 2pcs of high density
    foam to match. I had mine cut a 1/2inch thicker than
    what came in it.
    Lookin at a/b $10 or $15 and 1hr of labor.
    Also you may want to do away with those screws
    in the bottom of you seats and use heavy duty velcro
    to hold them in place.

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Sorry for the long delay in responding to the topic. Tempur won't do what I expected initially so I'm looking to go the high density foam route. Also my contacts at Tempur seem to have attitude problems dealing with small business.

- Aggressor

Sorry for the long delay in responding to the topic. Tempur won't do what I expected initially so I'm looking to go the high density foam route. Also my contacts at Tempur seem to have attitude problems dealing with small business.

- Aggressor

We could all pitch in and buy a tempur mattress then cut it up into little blocks. I need to do something, my butt kills me after about an hour in the seat.

WBofTN how much improvment did you realize ?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

We could all pitch in and buy a tempur mattress then cut it up into little blocks. I need to do something, my butt kills me after about an hour in the seat.

WBofTN how much improvment did you realize ?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Much better, The sore a$$ guage says 50% improvement. I still would
    like to get my hands some better foam. I know a SPF guy who drove his
    car for 5hrs strait and said he never even thought about his a$$.
    I wish we could find out whats in their seat. It looks like the SPF
    cars have 3 or 4 times the padding compared to a Unique.
    WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Much better, The sore a$$ guage says 50% improvement. I still would
    like to get my hands some better foam. I know a SPF guy who drove his
    car for 5hrs strait and said he never even thought about his a$$.
    I wish we could find out whats in their seat. It looks like the SPF
    cars have 3 or 4 times the padding compared to a Unique.
    WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

I am not so sure it is the foam so much as Superformance seats are tubular steel and the bottom is supported with webbing instead of wood. Any thoughts on this?

Richfield http://www.richfieldseating.co.uk/aboutus.htm make a tubular steel framed seat that might just fit the ticket. I know there are a couple of places in the UK to get them, don't know about domestic, price in leather is a very resionable 289 pounds.

I am also looking in the Corbeau Classic. Check the thread on CC.

Rick

I am not so sure it is the foam so much as Superformance seats are tubular steel and the bottom is supported with webbing instead of wood. Any thoughts on this?

Richfield http://www.richfieldseating.co.uk/aboutus.htm make a tubular steel framed seat that might just fit the ticket. I know there are a couple of places in the UK to get them, don't know about domestic, price in leather is a very resionable 289 pounds.

I am also looking in the Corbeau Classic. Check the thread on CC.

Rick

You can try cutting up one of those cheap "Memory" foam mattress toppers, usually 2" thick. I plan on doing it over thse stock foam.

I love my Unique but the seats unfortunately are not comfortable . I took the seats out of my car and re made them . The foam that was in my seats were far to hard and after about 30 min I felt I had to get out of the car for a few min.

I replaced the foam using a bit softer foam material . Also , I reshaped the foam in the seat by sitting and reshaping until it felt very comfortable . Also , added lumbar support as I reshaped .

The last thing I did was cut a big hole in the ply board seat bottom and replace it with webbing . The worst part about the Unique seat is the rise at the end of the bottom Frt .part of the seat . It caused my legs to feel numb after only 30 min of driving . That is gone as well .

Now I can drive my car for hrs and never feel tired from the seats . I did this 4 years ago and it still is very comfortable today . Fits like an old glove .
    Rick Findley

Buns of Steel

HA HA You guys are funny. Suck it up, get in and drive! OK, I've got some extra density foam and I kicked back the seat angle about an inch. When you drive 10 hours a day for three days in a row, you build up an immunity to discomfort. The cement benches at the rest stops actually feel comfortable!! RIDE.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

Hi Mike ,

All I got to say is , "why be uncomfortable if you dont have to be". Makes the ride so much better .
    Rick Findley

Hi Rick,

Just some sarcastic humor (?) on my part.

There are some tube framed suspension seats available that are very comfortable. Tracy has a pair in his car, I believe. They are pricey though. I'll just grin and bear it.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

With the original seats not sure I could grin long enough to drive as far as you when you come all the way to Alabama .My back
    side just wouldn't hold out for that long a drive if I hadn't changed my seats .

I guess if you wanted to experience originality the best way to do it would be to keep the seats as they were , and as you say, " DRIVE ".

Was looking forward to warmer weather so I could get mine out and the day it got warmer I was on the road to China . Hasn't been above 20 % since I got here .

My wife keeps telling me how warn it is getting back home so I looked at the 10 day forcast for my home and as soon as I get home it is supposed to start raining for three days . Oh Well , It has been wet before .
    Rick Findley

Smile Fia Seats

I used to do some long distance motorcycle rides. I purchased a "butt buffer" (gel pad) that fit the big seat on my Harley which is not much smaller than the UNIQUE seat cushions. Maybe a "Butt Buffer" is the answer!
    Dennis M. Swann

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    The last thing I did was cut a big hole in the ply board seat bottom and replace it with webbing .
    I've had this idea for quite some time now, and planned to do the same thing... sounds like it works. Glad to hear it. Do you have any photos of how big the hole was? How much wood did you leave around the edge?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Hi Paul ,

The web in the bottom of the seats has worked well for me . I dont have pictures right now and am in China . Will be back home in a few weeks and will try to post some pictures then .
    Rick Findley