Thread: jag rear leak

jag rear leak

I have a slow leak in the differential that is coming from a failed gasket or more likely from the breather valve in the rear cover plate. While I was wiping off some fluid today to try and determine where the leak was coming from I noticed that the breather is very lose where it attaches to the cover plate. I dont think there is a way to tighten the breather without taking off the cover and I am hesitant to run the car if a bolt comes loose on the inside of the differential. Before I make a huge mess and remove the cover plate I wanted to check to see if anyone has had such a problem and could offer up the simple solution. Thanks.

Homer,
    There is no bolt inside holding the breather. It screws into the cover. You can unscrew the pipe out of the elbow, then tighten the elbow. You might want to use some sealant on the threads of the elbow.

thanks - save me a messy job -- in terms of sealant was thinking of loctite blue?

Loctite blue is not a sealant. Use teflon tape or liquid teflon.

Homer, how about giving us a clue who you are and whos car you have, it always helps when I know the car.

Alan

and then again it could be a failed seal....

AL

Homer: while your under there, you might as well check all the bolts on the rear diff. I also recently had some leaking and discovered that I had a few loose bolts on the rear cover as well as on the front cover where the input shaft enters the differential unit. Tightened them up, wiped it all down, and no more leak!

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Found the reason for the leak -- the elbow fitting fell out of the cover plate with 1/4 turn -- turns out the threads on the fitting and the coverplate were stripped -- tried tapping the hole but the flange inside the cover plate prevented the tap from going in far enought to rethreat the hole -- anyone have a source for a new rear coverplate and fittings?

Found a replacement cover from summit for $30 - but it does not have a breather tube -- is this critical?

I would think if it needed one to start with it would still need one. Unvented it might push fluid past the seals when it warms up.

Yeah, there is a thread going on elsewhere about Kirkham (Jaguar-knockoff) stainless steel differentials leaking b/c they designed the vent incorrectly. They've gone back to the original Jag design.....maybe a case where the English got it right the first time?

I wonder why Summit would be selling an unvented cover?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

The rear end in the Jags were actually made by both Dana and Salisbury. Standard equipment on all Uniques that I have seen is the more common Dana rear end, I think the number is a Dana 44. Needless to say, Dana differentials are found in lots of cars from Chryslers to Jags, and in between IRS units and live axles. Standard issue live axles (that I am familiar with anyway) don't have breather tubes.

Given that the diff is only filled to the breather hole, there is two plus inches of space to the top of the housing, so I am having trouble seeing how you would push fluid out at elevated temps unless there is enough air expansion from the heat that significant pressure develops. Can someone with more expertise help me (us) understand why this would need to be vented?

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

You might better check again about live axles not having breathers. I just looked under a Ford Ranger, Ford F150, Jeep CJ 5 (both ends), Chevy 1500, they all had breathers on them.

If for no other reason than condensation I would always vent the housing.

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Poorboy you are right on. Put a unvented cover on [V]and start putting a drip pan under it, IMMEDIATELY.

Rick

I guess that I need to have my eyes checked!

Going back to the original question, if a breather is a must, under what situations would an unvented cover be used? There are plenty available out there...

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car