Thread: 16 Inch BFGoodrich Tires ... What to do next???

16 Inch BFGoodrich Tires ... What to do next???

Like a lot of Uniques that were built in 2000 or earlier, I have the 16", V-rated BFGoodrich T/A tires. Specifically, I have the following setup:

Front Wheels: Team III 16x8"
    Rear Wheels: Team III 16x9-1/2"

Front Tires: BF Goodrich T/A - 245/50R16
    Rear Tires: BF Goodrich T/A - 275/50R16

Assuming I do NOT replace the wheels, I'm curious what others have done on brand and size when it comes time to replace the tires. Thanks!

I think I'm still good for awhile, but I just did another tire search and the only good option I can find is 295/50-16 BFG Radial T/As for the rear. Is anyone running this wide/tall of a tire - does it fit? I've read lots of bad things on the Radial T/As over on CC, but when I look through pics a lot of people have them. Again, this is to replace the 275/50-16 BFG Comp T/As, which are great and I'm hoping to drive for every last mile they have in them. Info that Team III for the size rear wheel:

TREAD TOTAL RIM
    SIZE HEIGHT WIDTH WIDTH WIDTH
    255-50-16 26.1 7.7 10.4 6.5 – 10
    275-50-16 26.9 9.1 11.2 7 – 11
    295-50-16 27.6 9.5 12.2 8 – 11

I am researching 15" performance tires as we speak. I was told nobody makes a good 15" tire anymore. If you go to www.tirerack.com and do a search by brand you can look at over 20 manufacturers. Then narrow your search to high performance tires. There are alot of good 16" tires avail. I would not buy from Tire Rack, I think all of their tires are seconds or blems but you could order the tires from a local shop. This way if you get a bad tire you have a place to go. I can not get the BF's to balance and stop shaking. When I spin the tires on the balancer they look like a football.

Examples:

BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KD
    Dunlop SP 9000
    Continental ContiExtreme Contact
    Firestone FireHawk GTA 02
    Goodyear Eagle GT-HR
    Michelin Pilot XGTV4/Z4

The problem is getting a 245 or 275 series tire. I will keep looking.

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

The only really sticky tire I could find in 15" is a non-DOT legal "billboard style" Goodyear Eagle sold by Roger Kraus Racing. But, I'm also told that they pick up everything on the road and hurl the stuff back on your car at high speed.

On the balance issue, I've had the same problem with BFGs. There's been a lot of talk about the Hunter 9700 balance machine, which measures "road force" or out-of-round condition. The machine is able to assess the high vs. low spots on both tire and rim, and identify the location to match the highs with the lows. In most cases, it requires breaking the tire/rim back down to relocate it in the right place.

I had it done 2 weeks ago, and it did make a very big difference. I was told by the tech. that the run-of-the-mill tech. doesn't know how to use it properly, find a high quality tire place you trust.

The link below provides a locator of places that have the machine.

http://128.242.141.111/

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

It looks like my best options are: (1) go up to a 295/50-16 with a BFG Radial T/A, or (2) go down to a 255/50-16 with a Dunlop SP Sport 5000. Big size difference and I'm a bit worried the smaller rear wouldn't fill the wheel well.

Clay,
    From what I read,
    Brent said no good 15" tires out there
    only some 16"

Rick

Right, I think there was an edit, and I did an exhaustive search last winter. Only the racing Goodyear billboards are acceptable performance tires in 15, and I didn't search 16. A lot of Kirkham guys are running those.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I the widths that most of us want............... only good 15's are the billboards and hoosier td. Both will sand blast the paint off and one is not even DOT legal. But man are they fun! There are some good autocross and road race tires that are DOT but they are short. Drag radials last a day or two and don't handle that great (any thing will out handle a BFG). Look at the Avid S/T if you want a all around 15". 16" may not be much better, perhaps worse. 17" has a lot of options but it is tough to get a tire of any decent height (read close to stock) with out going to monster widths (read 315s). Basically, the tire selection stinks. Compromise, compromise, compromise. Why the heck can't they just make a tire that does everything perfectly all the time and get it over with

Running TD's and looking at billboards. At least I would be able to drive on wet pavement.

Rick

Latest CC thread on the "Cobra traditional look tire problem"

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=58020

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Does anybody know anything about the Yokohama Avid tires? They make a good selection of 15" tires in 50 and 60 series.

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Yeah, I know an SPF owner who has them, and swears by them. He said they're "somewhat better" than the BFGs, as did Rick Dorman (see his post above) but they're still not performance tires.

Clay

Annapolis, MD