Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering setup

Steering setup

I have a Unique built around 1986 by Charlie Nations.
    It is a beautiful car but the sterring setup is horrible.
    It has a Chevy 427 in it so it is a little tight.
    Do you have any suggestions for a fix or can you tell me what
    is a good setup I can change it to.[?]

Just what is the trouble?

Poorboy

The steering is not smooth and is very stiff.
    Ther are 2 loints in the steering shaft, I think the angle on one may be too much. I don't have anyone local with a Cobra that I can compair with.
    This is my first Cobra so I don't know alot about them.

Have you greased the "King Pins" on the front suspension? Have you greased the rack and pinion? Both of these can cause real tight stearing, the king pins in particular!
    Keith

Keith

I got the king pins but not the rack, I'll try it.
    Thanks Keith

Also check the splined steering shafts, make sure the u-joints are not binding if the shaft is inserted too far into the splined u-joint. This will make it easy, hard, easy, when you turn the wheel.

Eliminator

Thanks Eliminator, I think I need to dismantle the shaft and start again.
    This car was a show car, I don't think the steering was ever correct.

Tom

I don't think the car was ever driven. I don't think Charlie ever started the engine after it was put in. Does it still have the engine with the chrome plated block & gold plated carbs?

Poorboy

Is this the gold car???? If so.....you better buy stock in metal polish and cotton.(-:

Brent

Yes Brent this is the Gold car aka GOLD DUSTER.

Tom

Poorboy,
    Don't know why Charlie never drove it,Its a blast.
    First time I got in I nearly $hit myself.
    I still have the chrome intake with the gold carbs, but now I'm
    running it with 1 850 4bbl. Had a hard time getting it to idle with the 6 pack.
    I didn't think people would remember the car, If anyone has any history I it
    I would love to know about it.

Tom

Hi Tom,
    The engine was orignaly built by Bobby Allision of NASCAR fame. Bobby drove the from his shop to Charlie's home. I was told the car was driven a total of about 37 miles. Charlie was good friends with all of the Alabama gang. The car was also a national champion in the ISCA show car circuit 3 years in a row. The only kit car to do that. The show car rules state that all cars in competition must run & move under there own power. One time Charlie was unloading the car at a show and told his helpers not to push it to fast as it had no brakes, a show official heard him and disqualified the car. Once and awile a show judge will have you start your car and pull it forward, stop then back up and stop. What charlie would do because the car had no brakes would be to shift to reverse to stop when going forward to stop and forward when backing up. One time a judge that had been giving him a hard time was standing behind the car telling him hurry up and back up. Well he was standing on the end of the carpet runner the car was on, soooo Charlie bipped the throttle kind of hard and the tires jerked the carpet out from under the judge. He went on his butt.
    These stories were related to me by Maurice at Unique. I knew Charlie but not real well.

Poorboy

Got any pictures of this car?????
    I'm getting more curious by the minute,,

AL

Thanks for the info on the car Poorboy,
    I'll take some pictures when the steering is done and I can get it outside.
    I spoke with Alan @ Unique, he is sending me some part for the steering.
    Hopefully it will be done this week.

Tom

Charlie Nations son

Curious if you still have my dad's Cobra? If so I can probably fill you in on the history of the car.

What engine?

Did you say there's a 427 Chevy engine in your car?

I am Charlie Nations' son. I helped build the car and show it on the ISCA circuit. The engine is a NASCAR 427 Chevy that my dad purchased from Bobby Allison. The 427 was bored 120 over and destroked with a Hank the Crank crankshaft. He had special valve covers made that make it look like an overhead cam engine. The engine was built by Competition Engines in Bessemer, Alabama. My father owned a Winston Cup team in the 70's and was good friends with Bobby. I can provide more information to the owner of the car if they would like to know more.
    Last edited by nitr0j0e; July 23rd, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Back in 2004 right before I bought my cobra, a friend told me about this cobra that a insurance man had and spent over $300,000. or more in building and we went to look at it. The story I got was the owner passed away and had the body off the chassie and Rick Grimes who is a hot rod builder as a hobby purchased for nearly nothing. He put it back together and had in his garage in Hueytown where I saw it. It definitly could not be driven. The frame was polished stainless steel and every metal part I mean ever down to the brake lines was chromed, even the brake rotors. I could have bought it for $20-30,000. but what good is a car that you can't drive. The chromed exhault pipes were covered with engraving. Anyway Rick said he was trading it to a guy in Texas for a 64 Chevy convertible.
    Bob

My mother sold the rolling chassis with engine and transmission for less than $20K. My dad only had about $175K in the car because of all of his hot-rodding connections and ability to negotiate deals. I am trying to locate the car because I know of someone that wants to buy the car. He calls me every 2 months to see if I have found the Cobra. He even tracked me down after we moved to another city after the tornado damaged our home and we changed phone numbers. Even if the new owner has the car and doesn't want to sell it I would be willing to provide any information that might be missing from the history.

I'll make some phone calls and see what I can find out.
    Bob