Thread: 17 inch tires

17 inch tires

I have decided to go with 17' wheels on my 427 build but, now that I've made the decision, I find very few tires in the 285-305 range that I want. Has anyone tried 315-17's on their Unique (rear) and, if so, how did they work? I tried a search on the Club Cobra site but the search engine didn't like the word "17". Go figure.
    Bill Stradtner

I haven't run 17in. yet but I plan on it, whenever the wheels get done. I have seen several 17in. wheels and tires on Cobras. You should contact your wheel company and ask them about tire combos. My wheel maker is Compomotive. They know what backspacing is needed for the tire size you want to run on your Unique Cobra. I have seen tires as large as 335/35/17 on a Superformance Cobra in their shop in Cincinatti. I plan on using a 285/40 on the rear and a 245/45 on the front. The number for Compomotive is 1-800-621-8408, ask for Alan.

I haven't run 17in. yet but I plan on it, whenever the wheels get done. I have seen several 17in. wheels and tires on Cobras. You should contact your wheel company and ask them about tire combos. My wheel maker is Compomotive. They know what backspacing is needed for the tire size you want to run on your Unique Cobra. I have seen tires as large as 335/35/17 on a Superformance Cobra in their shop in Cincinatti. I plan on using a 285/40 on the rear and a 245/45 on the front. The number for Compomotive is 1-800-621-8408, ask for Alan.

Bluoval;
    I asked the Weavers about this but they said they have no experience with 315/17's on their cars. I will be using a wheel from Vintage Wheel Works, a 17" copy of the old American mag straight spoke popular in the 60's. I can get it all the way up to 11" with 5.5" back spacing, which should handle most anything. I just don't know if they'll fit.
    Bill Stradtner

Bluoval;
    I asked the Weavers about this but they said they have no experience with 315/17's on their cars. I will be using a wheel from Vintage Wheel Works, a 17" copy of the old American mag straight spoke popular in the 60's. I can get it all the way up to 11" with 5.5" back spacing, which should handle most anything. I just don't know if they'll fit.
    Bill Stradtner

I don't think that's going to be enough backspacing for that wide of tire. You're probably going to have tire/fender clearance problems. If you call Alan at Compomitive, he can tell you how much backspacing you will need to make them fit inside the fenders. He knows the Unique cars, he's made a lot of wheels to fit their cars with all different sized tires.

I don't think that's going to be enough backspacing for that wide of tire. You're probably going to have tire/fender clearance problems. If you call Alan at Compomitive, he can tell you how much backspacing you will need to make them fit inside the fenders. He knows the Unique cars, he's made a lot of wheels to fit their cars with all different sized tires.

I also bought a set of Compomotives from Alan. They are drop-dead gorgeous. I'm running 245/45s on the front and 285/40s on the rear. Tires are Kumho Ecsta MX. A number of guys in our club have experience with them, and they are sticky as heck.

I'm keep my 15" set with BFG TAs for period correct look.

Clay

I also bought a set of Compomotives from Alan. They are drop-dead gorgeous. I'm running 245/45s on the front and 285/40s on the rear. Tires are Kumho Ecsta MX. A number of guys in our club have experience with them, and they are sticky as heck.

I'm keep my 15" set with BFG TAs for period correct look.

Clay