Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Shocks

Rear Shocks

My car has finally convinced me that it needs a set of new rear shocks. Usually a simple process, but first you have to know what you need before you talk to the counterman.

I'd like to go the Carrera coil over route from Unique, but in all honesty, because the car is just a driver and not raced, I don't feel I need that caliber of shock..... not to mention with Christmas around the corner, I'd better spend my cash on the better half..... insurance for the coming year!!!

So, what OEM shock do I order. Did Unique use shocks that were OEM units for the XKE or the XJ? Anyone have a favorite shock? I've found that Woodhead is susposed to be an OEM replacement but don't know which modle to order.

No hurry on your responces..... I'm off to enjoy a turkey dinner.

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday everyone.

- Jim -

If you have Jag shock/spring setup theyare likely Woodhead,
    If you have or borrow a spring compressor you can easly replace the shocks only.

the best place I have found for Jag parts is Welsh Enterprises Inc.
    www.welshent.com in Stubenville,OH
    Go to their website and click on catalogs, XJS, rear suspension, scrole down to shocks, Part Number C-29444-K hope this helps Jerry

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
    by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

If you have Jag shock/spring setup theyare likely Woodhead,
    If you have or borrow a spring compressor you can easly replace the shocks only.

the best place I have found for Jag parts is Welsh Enterprises Inc.
    www.welshent.com in Stubenville,OH
    Go to their website and click on catalogs, XJS, rear suspension, scrole down to shocks, Part Number C-29444-K hope this helps Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I'll check them out.

Was your suggestion to use the XJS shock over an XKE your choice or something you have other knowledge about? My thinking is the XKE is probably lighter than the XJS and therefore more in line with the weight of our cars.

I also found a site (speedwaymotors.com) that has Carrera coil overs for just $134.95 each. About half as much as I've seen at other places..... dedissions.... decissions...

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Thanks Jerry, I'll check them out.

Was your suggestion to use the XJS shock over an XKE your choice or something you have other knowledge about? My thinking is the XKE is probably lighter than the XJS and therefore more in line with the weight of our cars.

I also found a site (speedwaymotors.com) that has Carrera coil overs for just $134.95 each. About half as much as I've seen at other places..... dedissions.... decissions...

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

As far as I know they are the same shocks but it easer to find a listing for the XJS as it was built thru 1996.
    We decided to go with Aldon Eagle shocks for our car as they are aluminum, adjustable (by turning a knob) and rebuildable, got 6 with springs for $850.oo including shipping.

As far as I know they are the same shocks but it easer to find a listing for the XJS as it was built thru 1996.
    We decided to go with Aldon Eagle shocks for our car as they are aluminum, adjustable (by turning a knob) and rebuildable, got 6 with springs for $850.oo including shipping.

Jim something sounds wrong with the $135 ($540 set) sounds way low. The Carrera website list them at about $895 when you add up all of the parts needed.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Jim something sounds wrong with the $135 ($540 set) sounds way low. The Carrera website list them at about $895 when you add up all of the parts needed.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

If I were to replace the shocks on my car it would not be Carrera. They are a chrome Gabriel nothing more. I have sent two back to the manufacturer due to leaking fluid. The adjustment mech. is non-positive and the heim ends are very sticky. I think they are JUNK. They are NOT 850.00 shocks. I took mine to AFCO Racing products and had them put on the shock dyno and all four were different.
    FYI

Brent

If I were to replace the shocks on my car it would not be Carrera. They are a chrome Gabriel nothing more. I have sent two back to the manufacturer due to leaking fluid. The adjustment mech. is non-positive and the heim ends are very sticky. I think they are JUNK. They are NOT 850.00 shocks. I took mine to AFCO Racing products and had them put on the shock dyno and all four were different.
    FYI

Brent

Randy,

I thought the same thing...... go to the site below and see for yourself.... maybe I'm missing something[:I]

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Randy,

I thought the same thing...... go to the site below and see for yourself.... maybe I'm missing something[:I]

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Brent,

Thanks for you reply. I have to admit that I have not heard a lot about the Carrera stuff.... either good or bad. I thought if they were good enough to be an option on a new car from Unique, then they were probably given a thumbs up by the Weavers..... who have a good track record at making good decisions.

It's going to be a long winter I hear.... so I have a lot of time to think this thing through

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Brent,

Thanks for you reply. I have to admit that I have not heard a lot about the Carrera stuff.... either good or bad. I thought if they were good enough to be an option on a new car from Unique, then they were probably given a thumbs up by the Weavers..... who have a good track record at making good decisions.

It's going to be a long winter I hear.... so I have a lot of time to think this thing through

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Jerry,

At first I didn't think there was much difference either, but after visiting a web site XKs Unlimited, they list different part numbers for their replacement shocks. www.xks.com

Try this link, it should take you to their shocks page.

https://store.tolosatech.com/xks/mer...?id=294&step=2

If that don't work, go to the home page I listed above, click on 'XKs Store' and then on the 'Shocks' icon.

They seem to be very pricey, but they're one of the only sites I've found that have a ton of stuff and other info...... mostly in their catalog though.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Jerry,

At first I didn't think there was much difference either, but after visiting a web site XKs Unlimited, they list different part numbers for their replacement shocks. www.xks.com

Try this link, it should take you to their shocks page.

https://store.tolosatech.com/xks/mer...?id=294&step=2

If that don't work, go to the home page I listed above, click on 'XKs Store' and then on the 'Shocks' icon.

They seem to be very pricey, but they're one of the only sites I've found that have a ton of stuff and other info...... mostly in their catalog though.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

The stock shock that Unique uses is a Tenneco part #LE10120. I think Tenneco owns Monroe. You might have the spring rate checked, you could have a spring that has lost its tension.

Poorboy

The stock shock that Unique uses is a Tenneco part #LE10120. I think Tenneco owns Monroe. You might have the spring rate checked, you could have a spring that has lost its tension.

Poorboy

Poorboy,

Thanks for the lead with that part number.

I have the shocks off the car, but haven't broken down the shocks from their springs yet..... borrowing the tools tomorrow.

Ride height seems normal for the car, so I don't think I have a spring problem..... but will know better when I have them dissassembled.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland