Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Shocks

Poorboy,

Thanks for the lead with that part number.

I have the shocks off the car, but haven't broken down the shocks from their springs yet..... borrowing the tools tomorrow.

Ride height seems normal for the car, so I don't think I have a spring problem..... but will know better when I have them dissassembled.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

If you have regular shocks on your Unique you can't switch to a coilover shock without shorting the axles. All Uniques with Carerra's are different than the Unique's without Carrerra's. You might check on this but this is what I have been told.

Eliminator

If you have regular shocks on your Unique you can't switch to a coilover shock without shorting the axles. All Uniques with Carerra's are different than the Unique's without Carrerra's. You might check on this but this is what I have been told.

Eliminator

I think that's bad info - you can make the switch.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

I think that's bad info - you can make the switch.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

That's the first time I've heard about the axle length issue. I've been trying to decide if I need to convert over to Carreras. I don't need them for performance, I won't race "baby car". My right rear will scrub when someone heavy is in the passenger seat. Weaver told me all that was probably needed was to shim the shock mounts on that side. I have put in 3/4" of shim and it will still scrub occasionally. If anyone could confirm this need for axle length changing, I would greatly appreciate it.

That's the first time I've heard about the axle length issue. I've been trying to decide if I need to convert over to Carreras. I don't need them for performance, I won't race "baby car". My right rear will scrub when someone heavy is in the passenger seat. Weaver told me all that was probably needed was to shim the shock mounts on that side. I have put in 3/4" of shim and it will still scrub occasionally. If anyone could confirm this need for axle length changing, I would greatly appreciate it.

i switched mine during my build. the only difference is the lower bushing is thinner on the carrerras because its a heim joint. had to make a half inch steel bushing to make up the difference. the springs are real close to the axles but ive never had it rub yet in 5000 miles. later, brian

i switched mine during my build. the only difference is the lower bushing is thinner on the carrerras because its a heim joint. had to make a half inch steel bushing to make up the difference. the springs are real close to the axles but ive never had it rub yet in 5000 miles. later, brian

JerryBP:
    Do you have a part number for the Aldon Eagle shocks? Six? two for the front as well?

JerryBP:
    Do you have a part number for the Aldon Eagle shocks? Six? two for the front as well?

The only time axle length matters is when putting Trigos on then you have to use shorter axles and have to use Carrerras because they are shorter. You can put Carrerras on one with the standard length axles.

Poorboy

The only time axle length matters is when putting Trigos on then you have to use shorter axles and have to use Carrerras because they are shorter. You can put Carrerras on one with the standard length axles.

Poorboy

Poorboy: OK, if I'am reading your post correctly having Trigos require having Carreras. Is that the case? I do have Trigos.

Poorboy: OK, if I'am reading your post correctly having Trigos require having Carreras. Is that the case? I do have Trigos.

Terry,
    Yes, all cars when built that are going to use Trigos get Carrerras. The axles are shorter which brings the shock mount closer to the center and stands the shock up straighter. The shock has to be shorter to keep from raising the rear of the car.

Poorboy

Terry,
    Yes, all cars when built that are going to use Trigos get Carrerras. The axles are shorter which brings the shock mount closer to the center and stands the shock up straighter. The shock has to be shorter to keep from raising the rear of the car.

Poorboy