Thread: Differential Cover Gasket?

Differential Cover Gasket?

Anyone have a part number and/or source for the differential inspection cover gasket. I thought I saw somewhere that the same part from some american car was the same as that used on the Jag, but can't seem to locate any cross reference now.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim,

Basically it a Dana 44 rearend. You could use RTV sealant and no gasket or use a gasket.
    Are you sure your rearend leak is coming from the cover. The stub-axle seals are bad to leak on these rearends. Search and old thread on this issue.

Eliminator

The only leak I have is from the pinion seal....... that new part is on the bench waiting for installation. I had noticed a slight 'noise' that I thought was bearing noise, so I'm pulling the thing apart and checking all them, hubs, stubs, & pinion. The cover was tight till I opened up "pandoras box". The RTV fix may have to do, but I'm trying to do it right!!
    Haven't jerked the stub axels out yet.... they seal with an 'o' ring I think, so I'll be more careful with these.

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

The stub axles have a O ring but they are all put in with RTV sealant and the o ring. Problem is they like to leak. So just clean them up good and use a good grade hi-temp sealant with the o ring. NAPA probaly has a gasket for the Dana 44 rearend cover.

Eliminator

Heh Jim. Sorry nothing to add to the rear gasket comment. Has is the rear re-hab going? Make a call on springs and shocks?

Do you know of any other old Unique Roadsters running around? Your is the ONLY Roadster body that I have come across. I don't now about you but by the time I finish the projects I have lined up for my Unique I will probably be retired and then I will just take the whole thing apart and restore it!

Rick

Hi Rick,

Looks like just stock replacements for the shocks. Alan Weaver has them in stock, and at the right price, so they're somewhere between there and here as I write this.[8D]

Had our first taste of winter snow this past weekend, so I guess I started this project at the right time. At least when I tighten up the last of the bolts, I'll be more confident with the rear end...... the growl was getting louder, at least to my ears, but so far I haven't pined anything down yet. Last weekend was a bust as far as working on the car.... Christmas shopping and honey do's to get things around the house dressed up in the holiday spirit.

I haven't come across any old Uniques, with the exception of yours. They have to be out there somewhere, but it seems like most of the "active" cobraphiles are driving cars that are not more than 14 to 15 years old.

And you know..... your never ever done working on your car

Thanks for the note and best wishes for the holidays.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim, are you coming back for DVSFIV? We can swap notes.
    Rick

Rick,

I don't believe it..... you had to ask?????

Made the first three.... no need to change my mind next year!!!!

As they say..... God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be there.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland