Thread: Chapter 1 - An Introduction

Chapter 1 - An Introduction

This forum was the product of chatter among several regulars at this site. The idea was to create a step-by-step build documentary for those who are interested in a Unique. As someone who has only a month into a Cobra build, I thought myself up to the challenge. Besides, this is great documentation for me and anyone else who may come along later.

Here's what I will be doing. Over the next week or two, I'll try to catch everybody up on what we have been doing. I'll post those things we learned, what we lauged at, and what we were frustrated with. For those reading, feel free to add comments, your input or suggestions, and ideas.

Now that the basics are accounted for, here is a bit about who you will be listening to. My name is Brian, and I am an engineer by schooling working for Kimberly-Clark in Neenah, WI. We are deep into Green Bay Packer country where the winters are long and the projects are numerous. Good thing, because I am one of those project type of people. There is nothing more enjoyable to me than completely immersing myself in whatever it is that I find myself doing. As you suspected, the project that is the subject of this build is a Unique 289 FIA, car 9129. Built in 1991 the car has an interesting history that will be the subject of the next chapter... I have always loved cars, and have long had a penchant for Cobras.

My partner in crime for the Cobra build is my dad. When I said above I was a project junkie, it is no doubt that I inherited this from my father. Already having built an airplane (real one and several flying models), a boat (we did this together a couple years back), and several train layouts, the car was just the logical progression. Dad has home movies of Cobras racing at Meadowdale near Chicago and was bitten long before me.

Our plan for the car is to build a fairly accurate replica of a 60's race machine. Sticklers for details, the both of us won't be happy until the perfect 289 FIA is sitting in the garage. My goal is some hot laps at Road America during the Northwoods Shelby meet in August. With any luck, we'll make this year.

Stay tuned to see how it goes...

BWC - 12/29/03

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brian,

Good start, the car magazines are getting a little old at this point and we need something new and refreshing to read. Looks a little snowy up your way. Are you guy's doing the body work and paint? That's the only thing I see that could possibly slow you down (if someone else does it). Fortunatily the 289 bodies require less work than the 427 S/C cars. The fiberglass mold is better on the 289 cars although they did overhaul the 427 S/C mold last year.

Eliminator

BWC - You know that Minergy plant in Neenah? The one next to Gladfelter Paper? A few other guys and I built and started-up that plant... in February. Get's cold up there. Too da*n cold for THIS southerner! I saw -19 one morning (-38 wind chill). You can keep that weather right up there where it belongs. LOL. I'm looking forward to reading about this project. Nice to see this car finally found a loving home.

XL

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

Keith,
    The plant you built is something that I see daily. I work about 3 blocks from that plant at Kimberly-Clark. There is a neat twist to main street that is shaped by the Gladfelter plant. The towering walls are right on the other side of the sidewalk and all of the plant personnel take break on the sidewalk and watch the cars go by. I run by there in my Mustang and love to hear the echoes of the exhaust. Can hardly wait to make that corner in the Cobra.

You are right, it is too cold here. I'm looking forward to moving south some time soon. Anywhere at lower latitude than here is welcome!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

It was 78 here today (actually that's a tad unusual, even for us). I remember that curve on Main Street. Man, I forgot all about that wall! Oh, the memories...

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

Unique 4279459