Thread: Chapter 2 - The Legendary Spence Car

Chapter 2 - The Legendary Spence Car

At first I thought that the title of this chapter was a little too much. Why should I be so special to own a vehicle that could be classified as a legend. Then I started reading through some old threads about the car and recall a comment made by another member...

"That car has had more written about it than any other Cobra"

Let me tell you, most was not good.

For those not in the know about the Spence legend, here's the short version...This car was purchased in 1991 by a gentleman named Spence who lives in Northwest Kentucky. Evidence on the car and through conversations with the Weavers has led me to recognize that building the Unique car was beyond his skill and patience level. Sometime between his purchase and sale of the car, Spence managed to put a 351W and C6 automatic in the frame, wire the car and gauges, and add some wheels and tires. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

At some time in the build process Spence became disenchanted with the car, Lord knows why. It is clear to me (and members of this forum) that Uniques are fantastic machines and the Weavers are some of the kindest folks in the Cobra industry. Later, the car was advertised for sale in Cobra Country and at Club Cobra. Unfinished Cobras (not to mention Unique's) are normally sold like hotcakes since every builder is looking for that diamond-in-the-rough to steal and finish for a dime.

I was one of the many who tried to contact Spence to buy the car more than a year or two ago. I couldn't get hold of the guy nor could I get a straight answer when I did, so I passed on the deal. Evidently I wasn't alone, as more than a few people were rebuffed by the angry owner. Along the way, it appears that the owner's internet ads were being used to fulfill a personal quest to discredit Unique. After feedback similar to mine, CC and the other CC voluntarily quit running the ads.

Because so many people had been bitten by this sale, the car developed a dark reputation. While the general Cobra population has never seen the car, most believe that it is hacked up and damaged. Alan Weaver himself was quoted on one site as "not wanting to touch the car". My conversation with Mr. Weaver indicated that he never made such an assertion.

Earlier this year, a gentleman from Huntsville and his lovely wife managed to buy the car and quell some of the rumors. Six months later when the second owner realized he needed his money more than a Cobra project, my dad and I came into the picture. One week before Thanksgiving with a bank check and great anticipation, we travelled to Huntsville, Alabama hoping to return with a Cobra in tow.

We were not disappointed when we finally saw the car that was derided in so many stories. The car was dirty with 10 years of sludge and slime. It sat outside for a while (covered) but there is some surface rust and mud splashed up everywhere underneath. The car was never driven, but had a running engine and trans. All of the rubber is trashed, there was a hideous B&M shifter that stood half way to the cowl, and the seats were covered in white vinyl. But the body had never been off the frame, and all the pieces appeared in good shape. Confident that the car was sound, we loaded up and headed for home.

All you Ford guys will be happy to know that we stopped by the National Corvette Museum with our Ford truck and Cobra in tow...I'm not sure they appreciated the picture we took there.

We are happy to report that the car is great! None of the nasty rumors are true, and we are sincerely indebted to Poorboy who drove up from Gadsden to check out the legend for us. With just a couple hours of elbow grease and some Simple Green, we already are well on our way to looking like a 10-footer deluxe pallet kit. Wasting not a second, we dove into the project to see what we had. The good news just kept on coming...

My next chapter starts the disassembly process. If any others on this site have had their own experience with the "Legend", feel free to add it he

This looks it's going to be fun to follow this saga.... can't wait for the next "chapter"

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brian,
    I've enjoyeed Chapters 1 and 2 and look forward to the next chapters.

Looks like we have our on "Hal Copple"

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Keep going with it and good luck

I was one of the folks that called Spence last year. As mentioned he seemed more interested in trashing Uniques than selling the car. I was surprised that CobraCountry continued to run his ads for as long as they did.

Once Curt was made aware of what Spence was doing he pulled the add.

Poorboy

Yankee....thanks for doing this. I'm enjoying the read and look forward to more installments.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Spence = Schmuck

I have the feeling this will end up being a REALLY nice car.

Brent

Good Luck!!

I have watched this car like others and hope to see the finished project soon

Keep us up to date.

Eric

Glad you're happy with the car and put this info online. It would be nice if you could do the same on CLubCobra as I was assailed on there for trying to help Mr. Sieja out selling it there. I was accused of trying to conspire selling a car with no MSO, etc. when all I was doing was trying to help out. I was especially attacked by a fellow Huntsvillian who goes by the Club Cobra handle "Bomelia".

Mike Greene

'66 GT-350H : '69 428SCJ Mach 1
    '70 Boss 302 : '93 SVT Cobra
    Unique 289 FIA (351C)

Mgreen,
    I would let that roll off my shoulders. The CC forum is brutal sometimes. The funny thing is if you post a technical question it sits idle for days with no response. Anything else is jumped on and abused for weeks with no point by people that would never say half of the things they type in person.

Welcome to the internet.

Brent

That's so true Brent....why I like it here so much. CC can be a great resource, but most of the time it's a waste of time populated by people with big egos.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Amen! CC was good to get started on research, but has become a platform and political forum for too many. Ego's and idiots monopolize the topics. This is soooooooooo much better for those that have questions and value the replies.

My $0.02

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

i agree

All,
    Thanks for the encouragement and interest in this build. I will continue to post stories, information, and general humor. As for putting this information on CC, I am a bit hesitant. Like mgreene, I took a beating over there and prefer to keep the stories here where it appears they are appreciated. Nothing quite like people who have never seen the car telling you what an idiot you are... [?]

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

If you really want to hear silence post a allignment question on CC, the experts avoid it like the plague. You guys are dead on on your observations. Good to be here!!

Eliminator