Thread: Another first drive story - a long one (sorry)

Another first drive story - a long one (sorry)

The wife is at her mother's, I'm wind blow, cold, and little frustrated that everything didn't go perfect today on my first outing, but it went pretty well. So, here's my experience of my first legal/offical day of driving my Unique.

Up at 6:30 AM to mount the front tires to get it down to have the front and rear aligned. 31 degrees, frosty and cold. Tires on, car on the ground, raise the garage door....ignition!!! My wife jumps out of bed 'cause the house is shaking, opens the door to the garage, and just stands there with her mouth open (I can read her mind - what in the hell are you doing out here at 7 in the morning when it's freezing). While her expression says it all, I reply,
    "but honey - I built a fire and made the coffee" [^]

I'm off - both side pipes blowing heat into the 30 degree morning air causing a jet stream affect. I've dreamed of this moment for 38 years.... damn, it felt incredible [^] H-m-m-m, no speed reading. Down to the local Chevron for some go-juice. I'm at the light, rev the big block for a passer by, and then across the intersection into the station. Damn! A CHP on the other side of the pumps giving a guy a ticket. The funny thing is he, evidently didn't hear or see me, because he left without a glance.

Down to the local Goodyear garage. Nope, sits to low... can't get it on the lift... double damn! Found a place with a "pit", so alignment will have to wait till next weekend.

Now for the wife, who thinks I'm completly insane. There was a slight delay while I jacked up the car to release the line-lock e-brake I had to make it memorable, so of course I strap her in the five-point Crow harness. She loves the sound of the car (see below)

The fact is she LOVES it We got out a ways and I gave this monster about 1/16 pedal, and she let out a scream you could hear for a mile. All she could say was – “do it again, do it again.” All I said was is “I don't need a ticket!!!”

The rest of the day was spent giving my daughter and son-law rides, and setting off car alarms (didn't matter where I went, neighborhoods, main streets with parked cars, alarms went off on the road, in garages, everywhere - what a kick [:P]). I got so many thumbs-up, horn honks, hoots, hollers, looks, etc, one would think I was driving around naked!

So tonight, with the Unique in the garage all tucked in for the night, I make my to-do list, kick back, B-B-Q a steak, have a cocktail, and try and go to sleep so I can do it all over again tomorrow. Thanks, Alan, Maurice, and Jean.... you have another customer with a smile that won't quit

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Great fun Phil. Let the good times roll!

Awesome story Phil

I must admit.....I am an addict too[:P]
    Brent

Phil,

You're way too cool.....exactly what I was hoping to hear from you on your first drive. Forget the little headaches, they're worth it!!!!

Funny about the car alarms....that's one of my favorite things too. You should have seen 22 of us in DC on Jan 1. The thunder in the canyons between buildings was unbelievable, and we set off just about every car alarm in town.

Obviously, you're also married to a great woman! Wish mine were so enthusiastic.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

She is an incredible gal.... anything that makes me happy, makes her happy, and visa-versa. I'm one luck guy!

Can't wait for the sun to rise in the morning and wake up the neigbors

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

[8D][8D][^][^]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Phil,

A word of advice on the alignment work. If you can get your car set up so you can put a couple of hundred miles on it before the alignment, do so. Number one , get the car sitting how you want it. So this means, adjust the shocks, drive 40-50 miles let it settle, and adjust again. Reason, once you get it aligned and you change the height, then its out of alignment. The suspension on the car takes a bare minimum of a couple hundred miles to settle in so you alignment will stay aligned. Trust me, been there and done that. Look at our old thread on alignment numbers and use them. Don't let Goodyear or whoever tell you they know what they are doing, most cases they don't, the JAG rear-end and the Cobra are a different animal.
    Now, looks like you haveing a blast, and the wife too. Great car and enjoy!

Eliminator

highly recommend Eliminator's alignment specs he posted in an earilier post. See http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=159 I have used both the specs from Unique’s manual and then latter the ones Eliminator recommended. The car handles much better with the latter. I also raised the height of the car when I had it aligned the second time. The ride is much smoother now. I think the suspension was bottoming out on the frame before the springs were fully compressed.

Eliminator,

Thanks. I'll heed your advice regarding putting some miles on first. I have the height where I wanted it, so that's not a probelm.

Thanks again!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil, the car will be a little twitchy untill it is aligned so be carefull. Your car turned out very nice, have fun.

Alan

Great to see you on-the-road, folow Eliminator's coments about allowing the coil-over shocks to settle ( you can do a good pleminary alignment with a level and a tape measure and a flat floor) drive a while then find a alignment shop that will listen to you about how to set things up.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
    by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio