Thread: Where's Okiesnake?

Where's Okiesnake?

Hey Trent,

You're overdue for a report on that oil thermostat installation....inquiring minds need to know

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I got all my parts in but have been too busy with business and home duties. This weekend I should get a chance to get it done. Right now I'm waiting in the denist office and am doing internet catch up on my Pocket PC.
    I'll report back

Well along with adding the thermostat I decided I would replace the oil pan gasket since I had a small leak in the front left side. I had the gasket replaced professionally after about 500 mile because it had developed a small leak then. Well I went to replace it myself this time, and when I went to remove the oil pan, I noticed one of the 1/4" bolts was 1" long as compared to all of the other 1/2" long ones (the leak is also near the extra long bolt). I went to the hardware store and bought a 1/2" one so that they would all be the same. After cleaning off all of the old gasket glue and getting the new gasket and pan in place - I go to insert the various bolts. When I get to the hole that had the long bolt, it is stripped. So I go to use the old long bolt but it's striped too! Damn! Obviously to yahoo I paid to replace the gasket the first time striped it out. Now I'll have to remove the pan and drill and tap the hole! Someday I'll get around to the thermostat.

Argh.....doesn't stuff like that just drive you crazy? That sounds like me trying to do what should be a simple project, but never seems to be. It's just that kind of thing, that makes me nervous as heck about tackling the theromstat. With my luck, oil would be squiring everywhere by the time I got everything installed.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Damn... as soon as you said one inch bolt, I knew where you were going with this story. Are you going to go to a larger bolt thread, or try the Helicoil route? The Helicoil will allow you to stay with the same bolts as used on the rest of the pan.

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Trent,

Are you sure about the size, my 427 pan is 20 ea. 5/16-18 bolts, or im my case studs. If you have a windage tray, 1/2" sounds a little short, most are 3/4" long. That may be the problem, didn't grip enought threads and stripped. I would go back with stud's, you can get a stud set from Canton for the FE engine, just a thought. Put a little blue locktite to the studs when you install them and let them set up before installing the pan. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE PAN, 1/4" drive is plenty, then tighten again each time after three run cycles

Eliminator