Thread: Automatic C4-to Manual Coversion

Automatic C4-to Manual Coversion

Hello,

I have had my Unique 427 for sale on Club Cobra now for a few months. Although it is a 100% complete car and runs awesome, I have not sold it yet. I have been told that it is because of the automatic transmission. Personnaly I really like automatics, that is why I bought the car. It shifts faster than I can, you can still shift it manually if you want to, and it is alot more fun in traffic and just cruising around town. However, I'll admit, for a toy car it is really fun to have a stick and it is more original that way.

My question it this. Has anyone ever attempted to convert an automatic to a stick? If so, how much would this cost? I emailed Alan Weaver and he said that if I bought the right toploader I could probably use the same driveshaft as the C-4.

One quote a gentleman got that was interested in my car was about $3,000. Does that sound about right?

I am asking $38,000 for my car. Would it be better for me to just knock $3,000 off the price to $35,000 and try to sell it? Or would it sell better if I would go ahead and do the conversion myself and stick to $38,000. If I do convert it, I would like an overdrive. Would it hurt or help the value if instead of a toploader I put in a T-5, Tremec 5 speed or a T-56 6 speed?

Or should I just keep it as is and wait for a buyer that is looking for an automatic (even though those seem to be few and far between)

I love the car, I just need a more practical collector car in northern Indiana. Something with a top, heater, windows, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

1st car was a Cobra hopefully last will be also

Scott,

I would probably just discount the car by the 3,000. I would say that is in line. Personally I would rather have the toploader than a Tremec 5 speed. I don't like the gear ratio's in the 5 speed. Give me the close ratio toploader. Good luck. You can always add a heater and top for under 3,000.

Eliminator

Hi Scott,

I haven't got any experience on swapping automatics for manuals on a Cobra, but I have done that on some other Fords. First, keep in mind that you'll not only need a manual transmission (toploader or otherwise), but you'll also need a new bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pedal assembly, master cylinder, slave cylinder, tubing, etc. Then keep in mind that many of the parts will be dependent on the type of engine that you have in your Cobra. With respect to using the same driveshaft that you currently have, it will depend on the length of the tailhousing and then the size of the input shaft and number of splines on the driveshaft have to match up with the size of the output shaft and number of splines on the transmission. Considering the cost of a good rebuilt transmission and amount of work to be done, $3,000 for parts and labor doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me.

Ben
    Unique 427
    SA 427SO w/ Toploader
    Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

scott, three thousand sounds about right to me for the parts to convert that to a big spline toploader and a bent shifter setup, with a blowshield. its alot of parts that add up fast. you probably could shave a few bucks off with a small spline setup. later, brian

Scott,

Great looking car. Did you build it with an automatic or acquire the car already built this way? I have to think if your were attracted to the car with an automatic transmission, someone else will be as well. I would not discount the car below what you are asking. Having just acquired one of these cars, I would say your price is right!

Steve Foushee

Thanks Gasman. I bought the car this way. I think I will just leave it as is and enjoy it for the summer.

Thanks for all of your input.

Can't wait to see everyone at some events this year.

Scott

1st car was a Cobra hopefully last will be also

Scott
    Personally I would leave the car 'as is'.
    There are people out there who will favour the auto box.
    Remember..Carrol Shelby and Bill Cosby ran automatics in their own
    personal use cars back in the 60's. ( I think Bill Cosby still has his.)
    I run a ford AOD in my Cobra...the engine is an unmodified 302CI.
    I just love it for cruising around anywhere...it's great on long trips
    when the engine is only turning about 1800 RPM at 70 MPH.
    And around town it's a breeze to drive....the only mod i made to the AOD box was to change out the B servo to an A type...simple mod...did it myself....it just makes the shifts a bit chrisper.
    Mike

Mike Geddes