Thread: webers or injection

webers or injection

If you like the looks of webers but balk at the price and/or tuning hassles, check out this website in Arizona www.imagineinjection.com

Phil Souza

Not a lot of information available on the website from what I could tell. What does a 427 weber set up cost with these guys?

Steve Foushee

Phil,

I spoke to Bob Ream at Imagine before I purchased my Webers. There is a substantial price difference. My Webers were 3,000.00 and I bolted them on and used the same fuel line that was going to my carb.
    The Imagine system uses a Haltec computer, high pressure fuel pump, aerospace regulator,Bosh 02 sensor welded in the exhaust (redo ceramic coating) and you need a laptop to set up and tune. Without fuel lines or the computer it is $6,750.00. Fuel lines and ceramic coating would bring this total to about $7,500.00

Thats 2.5 times the money and you lose vintage look.

Brent

Hey Brent, Did you get your setup running like you want it to?

Steve Foushee

That is cool, and I love the look of Webbers, but I don't know if I could ever give up my turkey pan. Did the 427 race cars use Webbers? I know the 289s did.

I love fuel injection in my BMW, and there's no question it's vastly superior, but there's something about seeing 40 yr. old vintage technology in action gets my blood flowing.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I have a 351C and was quoted a price of $3750.00. Unfortunately I use a set of "prepped" 2v heads and they could only accomodate 4v heads. I saw one of these setups on a 34 Ford street rod and it was really impressive. $7500.00 would be rather dear.

Phil Souza

Actually there were very few if any 427's with Webbers. Most 427 Cobra race cars had the single four and turkey pan, although there were some with 2x4's. The GT-40's ran single 4's and 2X4 set ups to win at Leman's , no Webber's. Had to ask my engine/car Historian Butch Capp's about the use of Webbers on the 427.

Eliminator

I am changing the curve in my MSD dist. The Webers like more initial timing and a faster advance to keep up with their throttle response. I have the spring and bushing but I have not done it yet. I had to make another throttle arm to slow the pedal down and that is done.

Brent

Thanks Elim....that's what I thought.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Bob Ream also offers an EFI for around $3200. He uses your manifold, drills the intake runners, welds in bungs, installs the injectors and 1000 cfm throttle body and includes the ECU. Big power - great throttle response - better everything. In my future for sure.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Brent, Keep me posted on this...nothing looks better than eight webers sucking air! Your motor is the best looking thing I've ever seen.

Hey Clay, Jack with the 427 side oiler for sale in Austin had a great story about an original 427 SC with 8 webers that was a racer. I'm not taking a position on originality.....a Johnny come lately like me is clueless, but he said it was.

Steve Foushee

i have the fuel injection from elebrock on my stroked 351 W. not run it enough to make a definite opinion (only around block, no tags yet), but do not need a lap top to tune, has its own interface. don't remember cost, but think less than the webers. as i get more experience i;ll update.

doug

the cost of the fuel injection including distributor and all electrical except coil and sparking plug wires was $2520.00 this included the interface for tuning.

i don';t know what other Ford engines elebrock supports with this fuel injection. i think they just recently added Ford. and most appications are for Chevy.

i hope to soon have tags and will report my thoughts then.

doug

Steve,

I don't doubt Jack's story. No doubt, some of the original 427 race cars were later fitted with Webbers, as they labored on with privateers for many years. But, I was talking about when Shelby originally planned to take the 427 racing in Cobras. Of course, the history of the 427 Cobra was not terribly stellar. It was the earlier 289's (with Webbers) that won most of the trophies, and the 427 was a bit late to the Cobra roadster party. At about the same time, the streamlined Cobra Daytona and GT-40 was already in the pipeline, and aero. was the way to go. Obviously, the 427FE (with Webbers) went on to a glorious racing history in GT-40s and in NASCAR, just not in Cobras.

Even though I have one, it's always stuck me as kinda funny, that the 427s are the ones in most demand. Must be this BB fixation that Americans interested in cars seem to have. In England, the 427's are thought of as crass, clumsy, and rather undistinguished given their racing history.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Steve,

Thank you for the compliment [8D]. There are alot of stronger motors than mine in this forum and some that look better. I just like the look of the Webers. I have wanted Webers since the day I picked up the pallet kit. I must admit that I did not buy them for performance. The single carb had more than enough power and probably had better street manners than the Webers ever will. I have not had much time to mess with them due to weather and work but so far I am pleased. I changed the advance springs and limiter bushing tonight but it is too late to start it.

Brent

Brent,

3000.00 from Pierce? They quoted me 4200.00, and I'm pracitically next door Between the price difference and the problems you had, well, that's discouraging [xx(] Maybe a blower [8D]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil,
    They ran a set on e-bay for an "advertising campaign" about 2 months ago. I was not ready yet so I passed on them. They went for 3000.00 with no reserve. When I was ready I refused to pay more than I had seen them sell for on the auction. It took numerous phone calls back and forth before Mike would budge.

Intake = 600.00
    Webers = 499.00 X 4 = 2000.00
    Linkage = 100.00
    Fuel line and blocks = 150.00

And they want to make 1,400.00 to jet the carbs?????????????????

Brent