Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Cleaner Quandary

From what I understand the FIA cars had the inserts in the scoop to deflect ram air at higher speeds. Seems like the Webber equipted 289's didn't like that type of air.

Rick

This is a most interesting thread for me. I presently have the 9" air cleaner 2 3/4 k+n filter, turkey pan set up. I love the way it looks, and I have no cutout at all right to the rev limiter, BUT, I have found out the this filter is only capable of flowing 470 cfm, clearly not enought for a 428 with a big Holley DP. So I am looking for a way to get a lot more air and keeps the traditional look under the hood
    More research the other day, I found out that the long oval cobra air cleaner flows no better than the little one I have on there now(reduced heaight for hood clearance). I am shocked no one has designed a drop down base for the big oval air cleaner, I called k+n and the have a 3" filter element for this, it measures 20.81Lx9.5Wx 3H, it will flow 950 cfm, this to me would be perfect! Now, to make it perfect, would be to design a turkey pan to mount to the intake manifold flange(like the present Turkey pan), only shaped to accomadate the long oval filter.
    Now, as far as providing air for this much increased cfm potential, I know under the hood air availability is a real question mark, especially at speed. Dyno guys have told me they have much increased numbers just taking the hood off and doing nothing else. I was thinking of a RAM AIR setup coming from the two 7x3 holes in the front, ducting it outside the wheel well and then entering it into the engine compartment thru the wheelwell housing. Location would be about 1/3 of the way back on the valve cover.
    Mount a flanged adapter on each side of the new tukey pan that would accomodate a 3 inch brake ducting hose.
    I think this could be a real clean, very effective and very good looking set up.
    Pegusus has ducting and adapters, I am sure there are more sites that have more choices, this is as far as I have gotten so far.
    Has anybody attempted anything like this yet, I don't want to recreate the wheel if has been done already.
    To compliment this I would opt for new sidepipes with the spiral core option that I talked to Maurice about to free it up so I can take advantage of all that available intake air I would now have. Then of course it would be off to a dyno to dial it all in
    Any input would be appreciated!
    Thank You....Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

The oval air cleaner will hit the hood inner structure, they were never used on original Cobras.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    The oval air cleaner will hit the hood inner structure, they were never used on original Cobras.

Alan
    I did not know they never used them at all, I thought maybe with dual quads.
    Hitting is the reason I was thinking about a drop down base.
    Just looking for an aesthetically pleasing solution to insufficient air supply of my great looking turkey pan/9" chrome air cleaner combo. So if I have to give this up, I want something under the hood that looks almost equally as good, but do a good job.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Hood Scoop

Has anyone actually determined how much air enters the small cobra hood scoop.
    Many of you know my car and I feel safe in saying that it has the largest hood scoop on the forum. Before I raised it one inch this past year it virtually took in no appreciable airflow over 35 MPH. I was concerned because the opening provided a straight shot at my distributor in case of rain. I found through the experience of getting caught in the rain that at highway speeds the engine stayed dry. The blunt nose of the car produces a "fat" boundary layer. The location of my hood scoop opening is moved forward and opens just in front of the distributor which could be the reason for no air. Since the one inch lift it gets plenty of air and I've witnessed Fall leaves flying directly into the scoop as I drove. For lack of better diagnostics has anyone been caught in a cloudburst and arrived home with water in the turkeypan and a soaked engine?

As Eliminator stated FIA Cobras and also the Ken Miles 390ci Lightweight CSX2196 (Known as The Turd) wore perforated restrictor plates within the scoop. The need for restrictors would indicate a large quantity of air is passing through at certain speeds.
    ??????

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.