Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newest Acquisition

Newest Acquisition

Here's our newest acquisition and I'm planning to make the most of it while I'm replacing the rear shocks on the Cobra. I'm really looking forward to not having to roll around underneath it on a backboard!

Ben
    Unique 427
    SA 427SO w/ Toploader
    Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

Congrats Ben. It makes things a whole lot easier doesn't it? It amazing how many things needed attention under there, that I didn't notice crawling under jack stands.

Who built yours? Did you have as much fun installing it as I did?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I am so jealous [V]

I want a lift so bad I can taste it. As hard as it is to jack the car up and as many times as I have done it I think they are a must have for a Cobra owner.

Congrats you lucky dog

Brent

Hi Clay,

This one is a SR-7H model made by Superlifts and their website is at http://www.superlifts.com/?src=overture

Actually, I didn't have to put it together. The whole thing, delivered and installed was $3,300 and that included extra long aluminum ramps and castors for moving it around. It has a 7,000 pound capacity, which is more than enough for anything I've got, but you do have to have a 10' ceiling in your garage.

Brent, I have to say that I jacked this one of mine up and down so many times that I was beginning to think that I could do it blindfolded. And I've been finding out lately that I'm not as flexible as I used to be. After a couple of hours laying on a backboard under the Cobra, I'd have to roll over on my belly to get up. [)] It's not a mystery to me why wars are fought by young men.

Ben
    Unique 427
    SA 427SO w/ Toploader

Damn, those are nice. I want a lift sooooooooo bad 10'garage ceiling, huh. I wonder what it would cost to get a backhoe in there and dig a pit. The wife would love that [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Ben,

I'm beginning to think there's just one company that manufactures these things, and sells them to distributors under different names. A couple of friends in our Cobra Club have one by "Eagle," which is supposedly top-of-the-line, and they also look exactly the same.

Mine came from Team Lift in pieces, but has the same specs including castors, same capacity, etc. The pieces, including jack tray, and 3 drip trays cost $2200, but it took a friend and myself about 3 days of struggling with poorly machined parts, missing parts, multiple trips to Home Depot, busted knuckles and sore backs to get it working. It's perfect now, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably do what you did.

Phil,

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you need a 10 ft. ceiling unless you're going to want run it to the top, or store another car underneath. Max lift height on mine is 69", but I rarely put it up there. I like to sit on rollable stool, while working under there. I swear it's money well spent. It's even got me doing maintenance on daily drivers. Just don't let any car-minded neighbors know you have it in there....LOL.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Oh man am I jealous! You lucky dog

BTW, Ben, I thought that you were coming the the TCC Austin event this past weekend? I looked for you the whole time

I guess that I had that confused with Homecoming.

You missed a GREAT event

Ben,
    Do you have the jack tray with your lift? To change shocks the weight will have to be off of the rear suspension. To start put the back of car on jack stands, remove the 4 5/16" bolts in each upper shock mount. Remove the shaft from the bottom of the shock that goes though the lower arm. Remove both shocks and upper mount from under car. Remove long bolt from upper mount plate that holds the shocks. Reassemble putting 1 spacer between shock and mount, and shock and lower arm. What kind of washers did you get? If they are small dia., one should go on each side of the shocks.

Poorboy

Hi Bittentoo,

Sorry about the miscommunication of the TCC Austin event. I do plan to make Homecoming and hope to see you and everybody else there.

Ben
    Unique 427
    SA 427SO w/ Toploader

Man, that is SO nice. Toy Collector (on the CC forum) has a really sweet setup in his garage. Then again, his [i]entire garage[i/] is a sweet setup. I have the ceilings for it, but...

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

Those are definetly nice, I do have a good tall ceiling so this could be on the shopping list. Adjusting the sway bars would sure be a piece of cake.

Rick

My garage ceiling is not a problem, but there is another ceiling that could be a problem, the one on my wallet.

Ben, any opinions on the economy lift, it appears to have the same lift capacity as yours.

Scott

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Scott,

I have to admit that I didn't really look too hard at the economy lifts. I figured that if I was going to have several thousand pounds sitting over my head while I was walking around underneath it, I wanted the highest quality (read safe!) product that I could find. These folks build a variety of different lifts with capacities up to 35,000 pounds, use heavier gauge steel than most of the others, larger hydraulic cylinders, enclosed positive locks, and aircraft quality cables. When it arrived, I closely monitored the assembly process and this one went together, start to finish, in less than three hours and there there were no surprises. And finally, although I hope to never have to use it, they offer a warranty that was the best I found.

Kind of like buying a Unique. It's not the cheapest, just the best.

Ben
    Unique 427
    SA 427SO w/ Toploader

I had purchased a back yard buddy 4 post lift 3 years ago with 2 jacking trays, 3 drip trays, 4 wheels delivered for 5000.00. It is awesome, best money I ever spent.I saw a bunch fo 1500 to 3000, not even close , actually looked at a bunch in shows also
    I researched these things for a year, this is the safest thing in the world, very high Quality, Amerian made. I would call Jason at their website.
    free standing , no welded on tabs, laser cut 4 inch post, not an extrusion!
    I opted for the 220 v, 2 hp motor, free. I also got the truck size which made it a foot longer and 200.00 more expensive
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Revolution Lift By Rotary Lift - Madison, IN

These are 7,000 Lb Capacity American Made. Really nice. Nice big Poly Wheels for moving the lift around. Jack pads are 3,500# capacity, 110V or 220V. The 220V is just faster, same motor and pump. Got mine at the Street Rod Nationals, it was a new one set up for display, all accessories for $2,800.00 in 2007, they list for around $6,000.00. Rotary Lift is a Dover Corp. Sub, been around forever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Copy of DSCN2212.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	1586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Copy of DSCN2209.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	1587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Copy of DSCN2208.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	1588  
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick

that your new garage you were going to build when we came by?Nice--and the lift? Jealous in Alabama--Will.

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    These are 7,000 Lb Capacity American Made. Really nice. Nice big Poly Wheels for moving the lift around. Jack pads are 3,500# capacity, 110V or 220V. The 220V is just faster, same motor and pump. Got mine at the Street Rod Nationals, it was a new one set up for display, all accessories for $2,800.00 in 2007, they list for around $6,000.00. Rotary Lift is a Dover Corp. Sub, been around forever.
    Not to knock your lift and please don't take this wrong. You have the extruded columns I refering to, they need the bolt going thru the uprights to help keep it's shape. I cant see from the pictures if you have the welded on tabs or not. If it does, and the lift ever fails with a car on it, those tabs will be history, and so will you if you are under it. Also cant see if yours is bolted to the floor
    All the companys that I checked that were American made got most of the parts from Japan, but they were assembled here, therefore they were calling it American made. I really don't remember if I had checked into Rotary or not.
    I will post a pic of my lift, it is a 4 inch pole, not a sheet metal extrusion, it has laser cut holes for the spring loaded dogs to go into...so, if it was to free fall,it could not go more than 8" max.
    If you go to their website they have great info and some good video. They actually had a car on the lift, and a forklift hitting the poles, pretty hard, of course they were just trying to demonstrate how strong and stable there lift was.
    There was a whole bunch more stuff they talked about and compared theirs with others.
    Here is good note though, I was up at the Dyno guy's shop 2 weeks ago, he had a lift that look to be at least 10 years old and beat up bad, real bad, this thing was still going up and down just fine, and it was definately one of cheap ones...so, I guess it is all what you are comfortable with!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by davids2toys; October 31st, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: missing words
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

I have a friend who has a Back Yard Buddy and he is very pleased with it. He also helped me install my Rotary lift and liked many of the features it has compared to his.

One of the reasons I bought the Rotary Life was the fact that a large percentage of the repair/muffler shops in my area use them and have for years (including thru several large earthquakes).

I guess when my house falls down on top of the garage the lift and cars will be the least of my worries.

Yes it is not a 4" pole but it also not of the extruded type shown on the Back Yard Buddy website. It is sort of the old apples and oranges thing.

By the way I have yet to see a Back Yard Buddy in a commercial shop setting.

Stan
    427 Roadster #4279465
    Dutton Performance FE
    3:54/Tremec TKO 600
    Benicia, CA

I've been considering a Kwiklift for some time. Looks like a good compromise between too simple and too expensive.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.