Thread: Chapter 8 - Turning the Corner

Chapter 8 - Turning the Corner

With a fresh coating of white stuff on the ground and blowing ice in the air, the scene outside my window sure looked like Christmas. The anticipation in my mind and a giddy lack of sleep reminded me of waiting for Santa Claus as a child. Despite these images, the calendar refuses to read a date any other than March 5th. While the holiday season was not upon us, the excitement was present in spades as my Dad and I were planning to start reassembly of the rescue Cobra.

Earlier in the day we made a trip to the powder coater to pick up our chassis and 26 other parts which had been cleaned and freshened up. Those of you in the Midwest should consider Spence Industries in Green Bay, WI for all of your powder coat needs. They do beautiful work and only charged a shade over $600 for sandblasting, prep, and coating of our chassis and a big box of parts.

With these items in the garage, we had everything on hand to begin moving the Spence car toward a reliable road vehicle. Man, what a great sight!

The parts we had planned to add to the frame were not the MGB pieces that came off just a short month ago. As we tore down the front end, the weakness of the aged design became apparent. Bearings were seized, damping was poor, and adjustability was non-existent. Searches on Club Cobra did not reveal much about the available options, so I began my own search for some new options.

All you owners out there of newer Unique cars know about the now standard custom suspension. With Carrera coil overs, a new powder coated cross member, a fresh steering rack, and vented Wilwood discs, this is by far the most complete package available. This setup uses MGB geometry, but all similarities end there. The detail is second to none and there is plenty of information on how to set them up. For us, the $3000 price tag was a bit steep and we didn't want to just toss out our rack and pinion and brakes. While they are not as good as the new pieces from Unique, the Spence car has never been on the road and our parts are still new. Oddly, this route just seemed too easy. As you all know, the Spence car is not an exercise in taking the most travelled route to a Cobra replica. With these factors in mind, I kept looking.

Next I found an MGB coil over conversion from Moss Motors. There are varying stories on the availability of this unit, but I was able to get a guaranteed delivery from Moss of 6 weeks from the date of my call. While the coil over provided improved damping control and new upper suspension arms, the rest of the MGB suspension was used as-is. At $900, this kit seemed a bit steep for what amounted to a pair of shocks and suspension arms. Hell, the shock adjusting wrench and bushings weren't even included.

Finally I found an upgraded MGB suspension designed by Hoyle Engineering which comes standard on Hawk Cars in the UK. Hawk builds a nice Cobra replica using their modified front and rear suspension units. The kit comes with beefy, powder coated upper and lower suspension arms, awesome damping and spring adjustable coil over shocks, and a nice hardware kit. This kit retains the MGB crossmember as a mounting point, although the outer end is modified to allow clearance for the new shock. If this weren't impressive enough, British Automotive in Novato, CA facilitates the purchase process and offers an upgraded hardware package for the kit. Doug Jackson at BA has worked with the manufacturer of the kit to delete much of the installation bits which he upgrades and includes with his deluxe fastener group. This comes with all grade 8 hardware, polyurethane bushings, a shock wrench, and a beam modification template and weld-in gussets. The remainder of the parts are sourced from MGOC in the UK. The only parts used from the standard MGB front end are the beam, lower suspension arm pivots, kingpin assembly, and rack. When all the bills rolled in (including a really weird importing fee from the importer) we spent about $1500.

If you are interested in ordering th

If there was a "Save A Cobra" society, you guys would be the poster child for that organization. It looks awesome [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Just found this forum! So that's what you meant by "stay tuned to my page"! I've read through all the chapters, nice job! Appreciate the links and contact info.

Front suspension looks great! What brake setup are you using?

Robert

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

What a neat story [8D]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Great attention to detail on everything. What a lucky car.

Brent

All,
    Thanks for the compliments! You all deserve the same praise for your own gorgeous rides.

289FIA,
    Please let me know if you need more contact info or would like to discuss further. My personal e-mail is bwcarlson@earthlink.net or give me a call at home at 920-969-0858. Since I am moving this number will only be good for a month longer, but feel free to call anytime before then. The brake setup is standard early Unique, which is reported to be from a Dodge Aspen. The Weavers or Poorboy can confirm this. I have also heard that GM products from early Camaros will also fit on a MGB front end but I haven't verified this though. The rotors you see in the pictures are off the shelf vented and utilize a single piston caliper.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

"Spence Industries" hmmmm. You didn't mention that was a little ironic.

John

I am sure you guy's are enjoying the put together phase better than the take apart phase. The rear-end will be a little quicker, I think. Looks really good.

Rick

I look forward to every new chapter! Enjoy the time with your Dad. I know that he is enjoying the time spent with you.

Brian,

WOW! You guys are making great progress, and the results speak for themselves. Keep the chapters coming. [8D]

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Lookin Good. Keep it up and yo'll beat us getting ours together.

The 2 piece A arms look a lot like the ones on my Pantera.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
    by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

Once again, I've been looking forward to this episode with great anticipation. And once again, you have not disappointed. What a great story.

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

Brian,

Amazing job and the documentation is even better.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

quote:Originally posted by nolastyankee

All,
    Thanks for the compliments! You all deserve the same praise for your own gorgeous rides.

289FIA,
    Please let me know if you need more contact info or would like to discuss further. My personal e-mail is bwcarlson@earthlink.net or give me a call at home at 920-969-0858. Since I am moving this number will only be good for a month longer, but feel free to call anytime before then. The brake setup is standard early Unique, which is reported to be from a Dodge Aspen. The Weavers or Poorboy can confirm this. I have also heard that GM products from early Camaros will also fit on a MGB front end but I haven't verified this though. The rotors you see in the pictures are off the shelf vented and utilize a single piston caliper.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car
    I will most certainly take you up on your offer! I'll prolly send you an email with tons of questions, although you have answered many already. Thanks!

R.

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Entertaining and Instructional - what a combination.

Looking GREAT! The Hawk unit is on my upgrade list. I don't know about the rest of you but my MG front end rides like a tank! While you have it all apart, correct your bump steer. Easy to do now.

I updated my front end brakes to Wilwood on the MG spindles. Information here:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=39866
    and here:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/t395...-&pagenumber=6

Also, I found the MG steering column sloppy with the felt and plastic bushes and impossible to turn with new ones so I converted the existing to caged needle bearings after finding most wanted $400 for a new column. My conversion was $12 including tax and shipping! Not to mention an easy afternoon job. Find that information here:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...teering+column

By the way, did you know the four pot girling/Jag calipers will bolt right to the spindle and work with those rotors? Wilwood will do the same with nothing more than a home made caliper adaptor.

Either way do the bump steer and the steering column...... you will thank me later!

Rick

Brian,

What can I say.... you and your dad are doing it first class all the way. And thanks for your assistance with my rear end issue. Looking forward to more installments to this story.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004