Thread: Chapter 9 - Bringing Up the Rear

Chapter 9 - Bringing Up the Rear

I have written here previously of my fondness for words and their ability to elicit thoughts, emotions, and memories. Over time, students of language have enlightened the general public by giving titles to certain techniques employed by writers.

Hyperbole, as an example, was significantly employed by writers describing the Spence car during the days before our ownership. The words broadcast about the car have since given it legendary status. Hopefully these myths are slowly being dispelled here.

Of all the techniques, however, my personal favorite, however, is the metaphor. As the title of this chapter implies, the technical information that follows will describe the rear suspension installation of the car. However it is no accident that the lateness of this update and the events of the last week has had an impact on my title selection.

I am happily authoring this update in the 65 degree comfort of my temporary home in Bella Vista, Arkansas. For the next two months the Spence car will make slow progress as my attention turns to the construction of our new home and eventual move in nearby Rogers. Before I left the frigid winter climes of the upper Midwest I did pick up my beautifully machined 351W block and Roush heads. I hope that I can keep myself satisfied with the engine assembly process since the car is spending some quality time with my dad 750 miles to the north.

My father and I calculated that the Rescue Cobra would be easiest to move if it were a rolling chassis. While you already know that the powdercoating and front suspension has been completed, this left just two weeks to install the rear suspension and replace the body. Since there was no retrofit involved, we figured this would be a snap. Right? Well...

OK, there was just a little retrofit. Since the Spence car was built in 1991 the rear trailing arms have relocated from ahead of the rear wheels to rear-center of the chassis. A rear sway bar now joins the party and a reinforcing plate ties the suspension pivots to the final drive. We welded the trailing arm bracket in place when the frame was cut to allow for more pinion clearance. Chasing the tapped holes and reaming the powdercoat from all the brackets was the first step in our installation. Although this beast came apart quickly, the reinstallation took more time than expected. Each part we installed fit closely, but needed some additional clearance work to fit well.

As we hoisted the differential into place it became clear that our pinion angle just wasn't quite right. The level confirmed our suspicions that the final drive unit was just a bubble off of center. Fitting for this car. We continued our installation work but rectified the dimension with a CNC-ground shim which perfectly matched the U-shape mounting pad of the Jaguar differential.

We installed the old Bilstein coil overs and proceeded to replace the Jaguar needle bearings with less fussy nylatron bearings from Unique. We custom modified the inserts with greasing ports to allow the inner wishbone pivots to be lubricated through the lower zerk fittings as intended.

At the time the Spence car was manufactured, rear ends were not rebuilt before being placed into their chassis at Unique. Consequently, the shims in the suspension on our car were rusted beyond recognition. Finding ridiculous prices for .005 and .007 shims ($5 apiece) at XK's Unlimited, we manufactured these on our own and purchased the rest. With new Spicer U-joints pressed into place, we reinstalled the brake rotors, drive line, and uprights onto the freshly coated wishbone. Now that all of the original components were installed, we continued to bolt in the retrofit trailing arms, sway bar, and rear bracket. What was a nondescript box frame only weeks before had transformed into full fledged race chassis in only a few long days.

Wow. This thing looks like a car now! Interestingly, it occurred to us that this is exac

As usual, a magnificent story, and a job that equals it.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Boy, that's really looking nice. A great read as usual. Can't wait to meet you in person at homecoming.

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

You are doing an incredible job on the car and the documentary, as always , is alot of fun to read. Keep it up!

Brent

You guys are true "craftsmen" in the meaning of the word! My Dad was a Tool & Die Maker and would have liked to see your work. Great Job!

Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Southern Automotive FE406
    4 Speed Toploader (wide)

Hi Yankee.
    Well, your favourite style of writing may be the 'metophor' as opposed to 'hyperbole'

But with the great job you and your Dad are performing on that car,
    the term 'Metamophosis' may be more appropriate.
    Keep it up.
    Mike

Mike Geddes