Thread: Dim Brake Lights

Dim Brake Lights

Enough people have commented on my dim brake lights that I’d like to install something brighter. From the little bit of research I’ve done, the choice seems to be quartz halogen bulbs or LEDs. There seem to be pros and cons for each.

The halogen bulbs are a direct replacement for the standard 1157 bulbs and are much brighter. But several people have reported that they have a shorter life expectancy (apparently very susceptible to vibration), draw a lot more amps (??), and may melt the tail light lenses due to increased heat. The LEDs are also brighter, but are not direct replacements for the 1157s (sounds like some Dremel work would be necessary on the tail light housing), may not be visible at certain angles, and draw so little current that the emergency flasher won’t activate.

Any experience with either? What are your thoughts?

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Have thought about the same thing -- there are a couple of good threads on club cobra if you search under "led light"

the 1157 bulbs have been used as far back as i can remember . make sure you have a good ground before you start changing bulbs .

Also check the light hookup to make sure they are wired correctly. The red and green wires on the Lucas tail lights can vary from light to light. When I wired my car I checked each light with a battery and found they are wired different. On one lamp the green wire was tail and the red was brake and turn and on the next lamp they were the opposite. Nothing like a color blind electrician.

Brent

Sounds just like something I would expect from the "Prince of Darkness." Hey, did you hear the one about why Lucas wanted to build vacuum cleaners? Because they needed a product that didn't suck.....

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Lights work fine, it's just that the brake lights don't show up all that well on a sunny day. Brighter bulbs would seem to be the answer - assuming they don't present any of those dreaded "issues." I just don't have a good sense of whether to go halogen or LED.

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Try Ron Francis at this website: www.wire-works.com They sell a brigther 1077 bulb which replaces a standard 1157 for about $6. They are basically a street rod outfit but you might find some of their stuff useful for a Cobra.

No problems with the briteness of parking lights and tail lights once I got rid of the English Bulbs. Like suggested, check for an electrical problem in the wiring, ground wire would come into mind first.

Rick

The problem with Silks lights are that they are the 289 style with no backing behind the bulb, most of the light goes into the trunk. I have a customer that made a aluminum box that bolts onto the housing and projects more light to the outside. He might be willing to make more if anyone wants them.

Alan

I did what Alan suggests above. It seems that changing bulbs to a heavy duty GE bulb I got at Walmart helped as well. LED bulbs were useless on a 289 style light, because the socket is verticle and the bulb needs to project towards the rear of the car (if that makes any sense)

Sounds like a Butch Capps modification!!!!

Rick

Alan,

If your customer would be interested in even a limited run of the aluminum boxes, please let me know. Cost wouldn't be too much of an issue for me on this.

Thanks

Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

LED tail lights

If you have rectangular 289 style taillight lenses: Check out the LED Taillights that work!! thread for the latest info.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

Gary,

Check with Zimmy, he made a LED conversion for himself and BlackJack a year or so ago. Looks good.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Dim Brake Lights

I saw the aluminum boxes made by the customer Alan mentioned.....thay are really nice looking. There are also a couple of other fixes I have seen...haven't implemented either yet. (1) Paint inside of current boxes with "chrome" spray paint.....just reflects more light through lense, (2) carefully line existing boxes with aluminum foil....just takes a little patience and glue.
    Dennis M. Swann

I just installed Mike Delasco's LED adaptor and it is great! Much brighter and simple to install. All you need are the LED bulbs and his adaptor that positions the bulb directly facing the rear rather than upward. The adaptor should even make the standard bulb much more effective. Alan, you should consider using them in your turnkeys.
    Walter

I used Milke Del's alum boxes and did some modifying as shown in the "LEDS Taillights That Work" and couldn't be happier. Someone could come up with one that would work for the 427 cars. Check mine out at homecoming.
    Bob
    289 Viking Blue, 427 side pipes, AL tag 1fstfia