Thread: concerns

concerns

After adding the heater to the body today I was looking at the alternator and noticed that the heavy red wire hooked to the Batt position has been hot enough to partially melt the insulation. I'm using a Transpo #F7078 one wire voltage regulator on the alternator, could this cause this? There is no other evidence of wiring problems/overheated wiring and I never had a charging problem with the battery.

Below the heads, on top of the block, front and rear there are two lugs that protrude outward from the block. They measure 1 1/2" long by about 3/8" wide. Is there any reason besides a leaking head gasket that there would be antifreeze resting here?

Neither of your issues sounds good. I have the Transpo voltage regulator and haven't had any problems.... but something is causing that insulation to melt. Is it the proper gauge wire? Those Transpo's are very sensitive and can blow quickly if there is an electrical short. As for the anti-freeze... any of that stuff on the outside of a motor indicates a leak! If you suspect a head gasket, what does the oil level and oil look like?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Ok

Oil looks good but did notice that sickly sweet antifreeze smell a few times. After looking the passenger side is also the side that the compression was a high of 140 and a low of 125 just barely outside the 10% range. This could be some of the power issues I was having. As soon as I can I'm going to see what it makes at the engine dyno.

As far as the alternator I'll have that checked locally.