Thread: Contents of sidepipes?

Contents of sidepipes?

Can anybody explain the inner-makeup of the Unique FIA sidepipes? Is it just fiberglass packing, or are there any types of baffles in there?

I ask because when I was at the dyno shop, and they put the air/fuel sensor tube up the pipe, it hit something solid about 1/4 way in (unlike the other Cobras on hand, where it simply sank easily into fiberglass packing).

Just curious.

Thanks,
    Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

I think the mufflers have staggered baffles in them. They are also oriented in one direction.

How about it Alan ?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

I have no idea, but I can tell you this - having been out with a large group of Cobra's, my Unique is by far the loudest (according to my bride and others). And I don't mind it a bit [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

I know they make two kinds, one with regular baffles and a spiral flow with less restriction. I chose the spiral flow. See you all at Homecoming.

Scott[8D]

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Alan told me on the 427 side pipes they put the muffler inside the pipe backwards which makes less air restriction and loader.

I can assure you the pipes on my 427 are astoundingly loud (as Toy Collector on ClubCobra can attest). The internal "baffles" (a very loose term for the teeny-tiny perforations protruding inward from an inner pipe) are indeed turned backwards so that they don't "catch" the air. So you could almost consider them to be open pipes. With a small mirror and a flashlight, I can look into the exhaust and see the four collector pipes at the other end! I love it!

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

Interesting. My car is by far the quietest in our club, out of 50 or so cars. Mine is the only Unique, and the only FIA car.

The tech at the dyno thought that the baffles inside my pipes might be causing restriction. Hmmmmm

Russ
    Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

My 289 Unique is so damn loud I can't fire it up before 10:00 am.
    I love the noise but I'm not sure my neighbors are having as much fun with it as I am...

I was supposed to bag them up and take them to Alabama for the Weavers to check out.. I just haven't had the time and figured I would drop them off at the Homecoming. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss the get-together.
    I'll probably tell the neighbors that I had them fixed but if it still wasn't quiet enough then I'll have them looked at again next winter.
    Personally, I love the noise... My hearing is gone anyway....

AL

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I know they make two kinds, one with regular baffles and a spiral flow with less restriction. I chose the spiral flow. See you all at Homecoming.

Scott[8D]

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    Does Unique actually offer this option?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Red face

Unique built my pipes with Lobak Spiral core mufflers.
    They flow well but are quite loud, especially on my 12.5/1 427.
    It can be a problem at some tracks with noise limits.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Cobranut View Post
    Unique built my pipes with Lobak Spiral core mufflers.
    They flow well but are quite loud, especially on my 12.5/1 427.
    It can be a problem at some tracks with noise limits.

David
    How long is the flat section of your side pipe before it starts to taper down, also, would you know the ID of the pipe the flows straight thru.? Lobak told me they offer 2 of them, 3/4 inch and 1 1/2 inch...they also recommended a 24 or 28 length.
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Cool

I'm away from home right now so I can't be sure, but I think the muffler housings are 20" long with 3.5" inlets and outlets. The inner tube is fairly small, about 3/4" or 7/8" so most of the flow goes around the spirals.
    I'm not sure which would be quieter.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Cobranut View Post
    I'm away from home right now so I can't be sure, but I think the muffler housings are 20" long with 3.5" inlets and outlets. The inner tube is fairly small, about 3/4" or 7/8" so most of the flow goes around the spirals.
    I'm not sure which would be quieter.

David
    From what John at Lobak told me, the small flows less and can be MORE noisy, the BIG flows more but should be less noisy, especially with a big block
    Dave