Thread: Chapter 10 - The Balance Sheet

Chapter 10 - The Balance Sheet

The mission, should I choose to accept it, was to write about Homecoming from a new participant and builders point of view. This challenge was posed to me by Kelly and Clay fairly late on Saturday evening as the festivities of the Homecoming weekend had dwindled to a circle of lawn chairs and laughter in the parking lot of the Hampton Inn. Just like on the TV show that started this well known quote, the challenge is never refused and the Mission always becomes possible.

So as I spent the next day in airports and in planes, I contemplated just how to tell this tale. Initially it seemed like a good idea to me to wrap this story around the most expensive airline ticket that I ever purchased. You see, my dad and I arrived to Gadsden with a fairly good idea of what we wanted to do with the Spence car. Hovering above the meticulous detail of Tammy Capps' FIA engine bay and Mike Fields' stunning hardtop, our plans began to change. At first, the changes were small. (I really think those Raydot mirrors would work better mounted high on the windscreen) As we gained momentum, the project list grew by leaps and bounds. (Man, those FIA wheels are sweet...All you need to do is narrow the rear end, add the coil overs, and buy the adapters? We can do that!) By Saturday night Tony had us looking through Cobra archive books, just to make sure there were no potential spending opportunities that we overlooked.

As the dollar signs ticked in my head and I gathered ideas to tell this story, I couldn't help but be troubled by one small, but significant detail... Even with the new additions to our project, I got much more from the weekend than I ever imagined possible.

Walking up to the shop on Friday morning, I didn't even get to the door before someone recognized me and introduced themselves as "Excel Guru. You know, from the forum." And so started the weekend with people that I didn't really know, but actually did. It was fun to meet the faces behind the unusual call signs and avatar images. But there was something different going on here. A person I had not met until hours before was suddenly concerned that both my Dad and I got some Cobra 'seat time' before the weekend was over. There was genuine interest in a car that was more than 2000 miles away, and we received encouragement and all the sage advice we could remember from someone who just had their car photographed for a magazine article.

Somehow, in just two days, we arrived to Gadsden as curators of the Spence car, but left as members of a family. As I explained the details of the weekend to my wife, I felt at a loss for words. I simply told her that we need to go back next year and that we were counting down the days. It was in this excitement that the cost of the project seemed downright petty. With all that I took away from the weekend, the balance sheet seemed tipped well in my favor and I know that I gained from the weekend more than I can repay.

As a builder, the weekend was inspiring. Looking at all the beautiful work excited me to finish the car for the next event. The attention to detail raised the bar to a significantly high level, one which we hope to meet.

As a first time attendee, I felt fortunate to have found such a fantastic group. I feel that my circle of friends has just been extended and the days until the next Homecoming are too numerous.

My dad and I look forward to the unveiling of the Spence car next year. More than that, I can hardly wait to unfold my camp chair in the parking lot of the hotel and hear how you all have been doing.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

brian, there was one thing you got wrong. you were part of the family the day you bought the spence car. you just didnt realize it. i enjoyed meeting you and the conversation we had about your chassis changes and pinion angles when we were standing by the chassis in the middle of the shop. and like you, and many others, im counting the days till next year, and we cant wait to see YOUR car (as far as im concerned it used to be the spence car, youve truly made it your car.) later, brian.

I am so glad that you came away feeling like a family member because it really is a family. And you are, indeed, part of it.

Boy, you're not the only one who came away with an expensive, uh, I mean extensive to-do list!

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)

My Photo Album

Brian,

Your thread-starter brought tears to my eyes. When I first saw you in Gadsden, I immediately rushed right over to meet the man behind the incredible "Spence Car" journals. You asked me, "how did you know it was me," and I didn't give you a very good answer[:I].

You see, I've always been a groupie of great writers, and so I felt a connection with you. The story of how you received your call sign moved me in more ways than you will ever know.

You are part of a great family and a very important part. I also feel privileged to be here, and just now realized it this past weekend.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Brian, You are an inspiration to all of us. I truly enjoy reading what you write. You must realize what a gift for writing you have. Before reading this, I told my Wife earlier this evening, I cannot wait to get this group together again; it is an awesome feeling to have extended family through something as silly as a car. Thank you Weavers for bringing us together in a way I'm sure was unintended, but very cool. I love my car, and I really enjoy having new friends. Homecoming is wonderful and I will never miss it.

Steve Foushee

Brian, I've just found out about the Forum at Top of the River! Hence, I just joined the Forum. (I finished my car in 2001.) I just completed reading your writings about the Spence car.They are great, 'course you've heard that before. This group of folks are a family and I can't wait to see your finished project but love the stories of your progress. Just reading makes me want to find a neglected Unique like the one I saw at SA a couple of years ago and give it a new lease on life!!

Keep on keeping on

ralphscott

Brian,

Glad you and your Dad were able to make it to Homecoming. You hit the nail on the head describing what went on last week-end. I heard one veteran of Cobrafest/Homecoming say it was the best ever. Another was quoted as saying that this was the best bunch of cars he's seen at this event, (the bar has indeed been raised). If this Forum can add idea's and inspire and help new and existing owners/builders than we as a group have succeded.
    Look forward to your next build chapter.

Rick

Brian,

I glad that you, like the rest of us, had a good time last weekend. I can imagine seeing all of those cars running around made you wanto to tear back into yours more than anything. Good luck with the laundry list and we'll see you next year.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Brian,
    It was a true pleasure meeting both you and your Father last week. I too find it interesting that people come to this event with the purpose in mind of finding answers and making decisions only to leave with more questions and more decisions to make.
    Keith