Thread: Oil Tanks

Oil Tanks

I have noticed quite a bit of oil spray coming out of the valve cover breather. Is there a good tank to use to try to stop this from spreading or do most folks just make one out of a puke tank? I will be adding a breather to the other valve cover too, maybe with it breathing from both sides will slow it down some.

Oil Vapors

Hey Diego, Here's one possible solution that's fairly attractive. It's the setup that I used for 7 years before the engine upgrade. Passenger side valve cover breather. rear manifold gooseneck breather, and drivers side pvc valve. Worked great and it made a small contribution towards pollution control. A few #6 AN nickle fittings plumb it into the center of the intake.

I too have a current problem with oily vapors accumulating on the hood just above the passenger side valve cover breather. Current configuration is a breather in each valve cover and the classic FE front intake stack pipe with breather. I an trying to figure out how to engineer a similar setup to my original. The problem I have is trying to determine how the proposed pvcs will seal when the intake pressure goes from negative to positive under boost.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

The problem is...

The problem is the passenger side valve cover, breather is in the back and with these oil pumps you have a hell of a lot of oil accumulating in the rear section of the valve cover under acceleration. The drain hole can't get it out of there fast enough. I looked at several old pictures of 427 comp engines and the breathers were in the front on both sides with baffled stacks.
    One day I will get a valve cover that has no holes and make it match my drivers side valve cover with the breather in the front. I think Ralph Scott had his made up this way recently.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear