Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jag Rear "clunk"

Jag Rear "clunk"

I did a quick search on "jag rear" and didn't find the answer, so I'll post this question as a new thread:

I've got about 6700 miles on my FIA now. Just recently, I (as well as my passengers) have noticed a very slight "clunking" noise coming from the rear end. This happens upon initial release of the clutch from a standing stop, and even sometimes as the car is coming to a halt under braking. In addition, I've heard this noise when turning a corner. It's only noticeable at very low speeds, and it's pretty quiet, but nontheless I want to try and figure out what it is so it doesn't get worse.

I crawled under the car this past weekend, and noticed a bit of brownish-colored fluid on the bottom of the pumpkin section, but couldn't locate the source. Due to it's color, I am assuming it's differential fluid, but nothing appeared to be loose. I'm headed over to a friends house who has a lift so I can give it a closer inspection. Any advice from you guys on things I should specifically be looking for??

Thanks,

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Russ,

If you have an Auburn Unit (Anti - Spin) unit in the rear-end that's the orgin of the noise. When you are turning there are cone like clutches sliping so one turns more than the other and they make alot of racket. The braking noise I don't know about. When I release the clutch on mine, hard, not easy I have always had that "clunking" noise, I have always thought that to be the Auburn unit also. Adding more Friction Modifier will help and with 6,700 miles it's ready for a rear differential fluid change if you havn't done so.

Rick

Russ, I had the same problem when turning a corner at low speeds. Butch Capps who built the rear end suggested that I add an additional tube of the positraction additive (for a total of 2 tubes) and it helped a lot. It is very disconcerting when you first hear it and you are miles from home. It is one of those "Aw $#i+!" moments.

Ralph

I have a Butch Capps prepared 3.54 with an Auburn posi and I have not experienced this yet. I do have 2 bottles of friction modifier in mine. ???????????

Brent

Maybe someone can enlighten me..... I did experience an occasional "clunk", mainly in the left (driver side) rear at low speed making a right turn initially. I have the Power-Lock upgrade with my 3:31. Is this the Auburn posi that is being referred to?

I added (almost all of) a 4 oz. tube of Equa-Torque Limited Slip Additive when I assembled the car. Haven't heard anything lately. Am I on track here?

Thanks!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil, you are on track. I have the posi and a 3:31 as well had to add two tubes.

Ralph

And the Auburn unit?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil this may be a little long but here goes I go this from Butch Capps:

Check your rear end if there is a metal tag on it it will tell you what you have:
    O -- open
    L -- locker
    PL -- Power Lock
    A -- Auburn (may also have HP or Pro in addtion to the A
    there is also a serial number and if you send it to me I can get Butch Capps to provide additional info for you.
    If there is no metal tag then Butch more than likely did not build it. If that is the case and it is a posi it is more than likely the Dana Power Lock as that was the standard Posi that was used in the Jags. The Auburn is an aftermarket unit that was used when there were no Dana's to be had (they do 1 run a year for the Dana PL).
    The differnce between the Dana and the Auburn is that the Dana uses clutch plates and the Auburn uses a cone. There are other differences but that is the main one. Typically you use 1 tube of anti friction in the Dana and 2 tubes in the Auburn. If you have to use 2 tubes in the Dana that is OK. The Auburn will regardless of the amount of anti friction additive will make noises at slow speeds when backing in a tight turn, just the nature of the beast.

Also if you have not changed the fluid in the rear end after the first 500 - 1000 miles do so.

Hope this helps I have a Dana in mine

Ralph

Thanks Ralph - here's what is on the metal tag:

MCGS 6013 (???)
    R 3.31 (3.31 ratio, don't know what the R stands for)
    PL (I assume power lock)

Sounds like it's time for a gear oil change (1,000 mi)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil I'll try to get the info to you tomorrow. Your interpetation on R and PL are correct.

Ralph

Phil, talked with Butch this morning and here is the scoop and some advice:
    MSGS = Mid South Gear Specialties
    6013 = built in a production run on 02/17/03
    It is a new Power Lock unit 19 spline with new seals and ball bearing stub axles. You should use 2-4oz bottles of anti-friction. Butch uses Dana and if you call him he will UPS two bottles to you $8.50 a bottle 865-524-4800.

As for oil DO NOT use synthetics I use Exxon Superflo GX 80/90 1.5 quarts. Butch uses that and Valvoline. Other oil MFG's are OK as long as there is a GL 5 on the bottle. Otherwise you will get foaming that will leak out your vent on the top of the unit. When you pull the magnetic plug at the bottom of the unit you will see gooey thick accumulation on the plug. That is normal as it is the grease from the assembly process. Use a 1/2 inch square drive. After the first oil change you can go 5-10,000 miles between changes unless you do track events then you need to change out the 1.5 qts after each event.

So there you have it.

Ralph

Ralph thanks for all the information. A lot more than I expected and very much appreciated. I'll give Butch a call.

Thanks again

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

No problem Phil. I'm sure Butch enjoyed talking to you and knowing where his handi-work ends up. He is a real craftsman. The second part I brought for my Cobra a year before I even ordered the kit was a close ratio toploader from him. I consider him a very close friend. I, like so many others, have learned a lot from him.

Ralph

I have the same clunk, I thought is was the heim joints binding up in the travel arm ends, and that is what I was told by a few people. I have lube them but still have the noise. This rear was rebuilt to 354 gears by the previous owner back in 96, I am looking at the receipt and it says one bottle of additive. As far as I know I have Salibury unit with dana gears. Can somone give me the amount of fluid with the additive I should have...maybe even the proper proceedure for changing it.
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Look up 4 messages or so above this one dated June 17

I saw that but I did not want to make the assumption that everybody car gets the same.
    So this is the first Jag rear in my life.I have a 12 inch x 12 inch plate on the bottom of the rear, I think I see a plug underneath. So , if this is the plug, I need to remove this skidplate,then I will drain it, then on filling it, is it till it flows out of the filler in the middle of the cover? Do you do this hot or does it matter.
    I have a 1 quart of Moroso climbing fluid( it does say GL-5), and 8 ozs of Amalie limited slip additive concentrate.
    This was given to me last year by a good friend with an ERA. It was recommended to him and he liked it. It would be nice if I could just by another quart of the Moroso and be done with it.
    What do you think?
    Thanks
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

I remove my plate before I pull the plug. I also like the fluid warm cause I've always done it that way and it works for me. As for additives I use what I stated as it was suggested to me by Butch Capps who builds these rearends I put a premeasured amount in the chunk. I try to keep it as simple as possible.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, it would be pretty hard to do with the skid plate in place...lol.
    So, is the fill hole the hole about midway up the cover to the right side, do you keep putting it in until it flows out of the hole?
    Dave

Gear Oil/Grease

Use Valvoline 75/90, no synthetic and the additive you have. Do not overfill, as soon as the gear oil starts to run out thats it. Actually if you can touch the gear oil when you put your finger in the fill hole it's perfect. I am sure there are other gear oils that are good but Butch Capp's reccomends the Valvoline and it's readily available.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Thanks, I actually ordered another qt of the Moroso already, expensive stuff, 14.00 a qt.
    As far as the full level goes, my 05 mustang calls for 1/2 below the hole for the tranny. So with these rears, is it flowing out of the hole or a certain distance below the hole.
    Dave