Thread: Jag Rear "clunk"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Phil, talked with Butch this morning and here is the scoop and some advice:
    MSGS = Mid South Gear Specialties
    6013 = built in a production run on 02/17/03
    It is a new Power Lock unit 19 spline with new seals and ball bearing stub axles. You should use 2-4oz bottles of anti-friction. Butch uses Dana and if you call him he will UPS two bottles to you $8.50 a bottle 865-524-4800.

As for oil DO NOT use synthetics I use Exxon Superflo GX 80/90 1.5 quarts. Butch uses that and Valvoline. Other oil MFG's are OK as long as there is a GL 5 on the bottle. Otherwise you will get foaming that will leak out your vent on the top of the unit. When you pull the magnetic plug at the bottom of the unit you will see gooey thick accumulation on the plug. That is normal as it is the grease from the assembly process. Use a 1/2 inch square drive. After the first oil change you can go 5-10,000 miles between changes unless you do track events then you need to change out the 1.5 qts after each event.

So there you have it.

Ralph

[QUOTE=ralphscott;63020]with new seals and ball bearing stub axles. QUOTE]

Man I hope that's not the case. Ball bearings are the achilles heel in Jag rears. They were only used a couple years (around 1968) and were soon replaced by tapered roller bearings. Replacement ball bearings are almost non-existent nowadays, and if you find a set, expect to pay upwards from 400 - 500 bucks a set. My older car is still up on blocks as a result of the ball bearings going up. I've got a lead on solving my problem, but I sure hope you don't have to go down that road.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Wut?

I haven't done anything with the rear end in my car for 25K miles. Do I need to be doing something? It contains whatever Unique put in it.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.