Thread: heat shields

heat shields

Had the car out recently on a hot day -- my right leg was getting a bit hot(by the tranny tunnel) -- I have used insulation on the inside of the footbox and throughout the tranny tunnel and have the aluminum heat shields on the footboxes -- was thinking about adding another sheet of aluminum to deflect the heat coming off the manifold closer to the cockpit -- has anyone else tried this?

Used reflective heat shield on the outside of the footbox and made stand-offs to put between that and the aluminum heatshields to create an air gap for cooling. It works very well, but probably to late for you to do this without some major work.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Like Phil said, "to late", need insulation under the aluminum. Fiberglass, thermotech insulation, then aluminum, all the way to the rear of the transmission tunnel.

Rick

Homer, I put thermotech insulation between the fiberglass and the aluminum also. I had the benefit of some advice before I installed the aluminum. My insulation runs as Rick's does to the back to the tranny tunnel. We do get some 90+ days in TN and it does occasionally get toasty in the footboxes. I've always wished there was a simple and clean (not messing up the looks of the car) way of getting outside air into the foot boxes, like my cars in the 60's had before A/C was virtually standard.
    Ralph

Homer,

I have Thermotec behind my heat shields and I have 1" thick foil backed insulation under my carpet. They are right, it is tough to do the outside of the footboxes once the car is done but to pull the carpet and insulate the inside would be a snap.

Brent