Thread: cobra build

cobra build

You all are right unique is the place to go, We drove down this weekend and talk to the family they are good people it was worth the 1600 mile round trip. Does anyone have input on starting i am pretty good with cars but some times people sit back and say i should of started here or there you know. Your ideas will help i know just from reading on the web page and taking note from your comments to each other....We want to do a 427 type with a 406cu. single 4 top loader not sure of the gear i want yet Im not racing it but would like to drive it to shows and really can't wait to see all of you guys and gales at the Alabama show that seams so great thankyou for now hope to hear from you

Dean and Connie Jackson,Michigan [BB]406cu. top loader

Welcome Dean,
    Lots of good info listed here for your build.
    Learn to use the search function on this site - its your friend.
    You will find plenty of pictures and details from some pretty sharp
    experts.
    Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Hey Dean, Welcome to the group. Wes has good advice. We gotta work on that avatar though.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

PS: you'll notice how classey Wes and My avatar are....

Welcome Dean!

Little brother, I think it's you who needs some serious avatar work! What is it about you that likes to blow so much stuff out the tailpipe? Are you sure your rings are seated properly?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Hi Dean and Connie, Welcome to the site. I built my Lil'Cobra in 2000. I have an FE, in my case a 428. I am using a toploader close ratio with a 3:31 limited slip gear. I have taken my car on the track a couple of times. We have put 4700 miles on it and are quite happy with its road performance. At 60 mph I am at 2200 rpm so the engine is loafing get about 12 mpg. I got the engine, bellhousing, clutch, transmission, all that sort of stuff before I got the pallet car.

Best of luck to you both Unique is the place to go I researched the heck out of the industry before I made my choice.

Ralph and Gayle

dean, welcome, if your good with cars, youll have little trouble building one of these cars. as far as getting started,i think the most importatnt thing in starting the build, is getting a plan in your head, building from start to finish. i know in my case, mine sat about a month before i ever laid a wrench to it. when i had my plan set in my head (and it changed about a hundred times before i was happy), did i touch the car. the weaver family and the people that buy ,build, own, and drive their cars are a fantastic extra most people dont know about till they become a part of it. i think most folks here are using 3.31 in big block cars. hope to be hearing about your build soon. later, brian

DEAN , ALL I CAN SAY IT,S EASY TO BUILD . AND MINE HAS A SB 302 W/ 300 HP W/A T5 AND ITS LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL SO I CAN IMAGINE WHAT THOSE BB MUST DO .AS FAR AS THE WEAVERS ARE CONCERN I HAVE NEVER DEALT WITH NICER PEOPLE . JUST A WORD TO THE WISE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD PAINT SHOP SO WHAT HAPPENED TO ME DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU .GOOD LUCK P.S EXCELLENT PRODUCT ALL AROUND.

Dean,

Once you order the car the questions of "where do I start?" will all come together. I have to say, the anticipation of waiting for delivery is one of the best parts of building one of these fabulous cars. If you are like me you won't be able to sleep with all the thoughts that run through your head... and once it arrives it's like "now what?" But it does come together with patience’s and research, and the use of this forum makes it soooooooo easy (relative speaking, of course). I would be in the garage, run into a snag, post a question on the forum, and get a dozen replies almost immediately.

Sounds like you are considering the same engine I have (a 406). I went with a 4-speed top loader and 3:31 rear gears, and it is perfect for me. Spins 3K rpms and 70 mph, and jumps from a dead stop [:P]

And if that’s not enough, you have the Weaver’s [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Welcom to the family Dean.
    Where to start???
    Build some sort of dolly to hold the body (there are plans on this site) or search for (Body on rotary) if you want to see what we did and have plenty of room, remove all the shiny parts from the body then the body from the chassy and you are ready to go to work.
    We are about 200 mi southeast of you here is OH and also building a 427

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
    by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

Dean,

To give you a head start, you could buy mine for a great price, stroke the engine, and have a blast.

I get to Jackson all the time. In fact I was there last weekend for a wedding in the rose garden in Ella Sharp park. I went to Spring Arbor College and have a nephew that lives in Spring Arbor and teaches in Parma. I could bring the car up if you would like to see it. It is 100% complete with many extras and runs perfect.

Here are a couple of links to my car.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=52731

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=18268

Thanks

Scott

574-268-9453

1st car was a Cobra hopefully last will be also

Dean, welcome to the group! Though I can testify that there are a few loose screws here[:P]

Have you decided on a color yet? If you need help just let me know

What was that saying about the pot calling the kettle black?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Dean, be wary of brothers with orange Avatars!!

Ralph

If it where me and I was ordering a new car, here is what I would do. Order the engine and trans either through Unique or have it shipped to them. Same with wheels and tires. Have Unique paint the car. Pretty darn good price if I recall correctly. When the car arrives, you could have it on the road in no time flat.
    Rick

There is the guys here in Jackson with cobras and two that i know of came from unique they have white w/blue stripes and red w/white sripes
    and one blue w/white s.
    me and my wife have decided on Silver with Black stripes and we found a new under coating we will use its enamel with a light satin finish I think this will help in the cleaning under carriage like we plan to do.thanks for asking

I will have the motor and trans sent to unique and they are also gettig the wheela and tires.
    Painting we plan on doing this our self we have even decided we are buying a 9000 lb lift and some one offered advise about a body dolly
    and i talked with guys i work with and the brake company i work for will let me salvage steel for the job and buy if needed I have waited for this a long time and what little it lookes like i have to do at least we did it and good for the family I'm lucky to have a family that injoys this Thanks

Dean and Connie Jackson,Michigan [BB]406cu. top loader

Dean, I'm liking the new avatar. 56 Biscayne, right?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389