Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Car-Guy Dining Room

The Ultimate Car-Guy Dining Room

An alternative title for this thread could be "What to do with that room in your house that you never use but paid a lot of money to furnish"... Realistically, I should have went with "The Most Understanding Wife Around".

Some explanation first...Many of you know that my Cobra build was somewhat interrupted by a cross-country move. In the process I decided to do a little alternative decorating...What do you guys think?

How often are you walking to the kitchen when you suddenly remember..."Hey, I wish I had that 1/2" drive socket right about now..." You're in luck! With the new hallway toolbox, you can satisfy all of your mid-meal fix-it urges without heading all the way to the garage or basement.

Greasy stains on your shop clothes? Tide is no match for a 6.5HP air compressor conveniently located in the laundry room. You can even port & polish the dryer vent for that extra edge of performance.

Hey, you don't use the dining room anyway, right? Might as well dress it up with some solvents and a small block Ford. You can have your Krispy Kreme's and torque your main caps all from one convenient location!

OK, OK, so why is all this crap in my house? Because we had to get it out of the garage to paint the floor. The Cobra needs a nice home too! Sure, it's not the Foushee-Garage-Mahal, but it will do the trick quite nicely for me.

As the last picture shows, the garage preparations are finally completed and Dad and I are officially back in the Cobra building business. Well, I am at least. Dad has been busy forming aluminum for the foot boxes and the engine compartment tins while I am busily bolting together something to fill that void. Below is the same ugly motor that came out of the Spence car a few months back although with many hours of griding and machine work, it has gotten a major facelift...

Stay tuned, chapters will be in short order. By the way, if your loved one complains about the mess you have made, feel free to drag out this thread to show that it could be much, much worse!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Last picture did not load correctly...

I'm thinking I would like to rent a room in your garage

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

brian, loved the pic of the engine block on the stand in your dining room. brought back memories of a 4 cyl. outboard power head i reassembled in my living room a few winters back. i probably should have told my wife i was going to do that before she went out shopping.if you really want to test your wifes patience, that one works well. glad to hear youre moved in. enjoy finishing your build now that youre getting back on track.im sure youll keep us posted. later, brian

Brian., Like Brian I remember when I was in college I rebuilt my Porche 356A engine in our apartment dining room. Very convienient! On the garage I like it particularly the trim molding, bet it will really look good once you get the crown molding up.

Ralph

Brian,

That's the Gasman Garage-Mahal, just for clarification. Mine's way too small and a total mess.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (454-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Brian, Wow that garage floor looks fantastic! What finish is that? My new office/garage will be ready for occupancy 9/1. I can't wait to get in there.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Gasman,

Neither can we, you need to be in there BAD!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

The garage floor is a kit that is in most magazines from U-Coat-It. The kit is incredibly complete down to rubber gloves, brushes, and drop cloths. In fact, all you need to buy is a $5 can of Muriatic acid to etch the floor in preparation.

Materials cost $800 for a 900 sq ft. area. I estimated high to not run out, I could have likely cut my costs by $100-$150 if I really stretched it. On the other hand, I was happy that we had extra as the paint really starts to work poorly after 60 minutes even though you have 90 minutes working time per the instructions. This was a three step process and we applied one coat per day. The finish is a bond coat with no-skid, a color coat with 'flecks', and a clear coat.

The results are fantastic, I am very pleased. Check out the U-Coat-It site - there are lots of color combinations to match any room. Only real pain in the neck was completely emptying the garage for three days of painting and three additional days of cure...Hence the dining room full of engine parts!

Brian, that does look really fantastic. But, my house would have to be abandoned as a toxic waste zone, if I emptied out my garage to do that................oh well, time to move soon!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

What? Where are you moving?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

As soon as A is in college, further south!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay looks like it is a little tight. Where are you parking your new toy! The other Mustang not the one hanging from the ceiling??

Ralph

Steve,
    It sounds like Clay is moving in with you[:O]
    He's just waiting for the right time to tell you
    Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Garage envy............. one of these days!

P51 is my all time favorite Clay. Glad to see one hanging there.

I always wanted a drive in living room. Watch the game, favorite beverage all the air conditioned comfort of my own living room! That would indeed be a cool room.

Rick

Ralph, I'm afraid another real car has to move out, at least temporarily. Of course, there's always the trailer......

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Wes, What's up with selling your car? Have you placed an order for a 289 or a 32 coupe?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

I'ma shopping - I was thinkin a/b getting a big block car, but it seems to me you BB guys are aways pullin your motors in and out of
    your cars[B)].
    I'am hoping to upgrade to a little nicer car - seems like with
    with the cash i get from my car plus a buck or two - might do it.
    I don't think I ready to build one, kids keep me hoppin most nights
    and weekends.
    Wes
    BTW- thanks for the comments a/b my car over on CC. This guy is bying
    the car site-un-seen. Although I did send him a cd with 15 high resolution photos. I have nothing to hide, but I think he needed some
    reassurance. I hope to have the deal complete later today. Again Thanks.

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Based upon a comment and a wink by "Cracker" over there, me-thinks someone has "aluminum envy." Make sure you put an advanced "hammer and dolly" course in your budget.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Aluminum envy? Twelve pack should take care of that.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

PS: I know a thing or two about buying cars sight unseen. [B)]