Thread: Rear Shock Change - Bilstein

Rear Shock Change - Bilstein

Just finished up the installation of the Bilstein Rear Shocks. I used Hypercoil 8" - 325# springs. Took a 40 mile drive and there is a difference. The car has a firm ride but very smooth. The harshness of the bumps are really smoothed out. Will have to do a little aggresive driving to check out the performance aspects of the shocks. One thing I did is have a new spacers machined so that the shocks are square to the frame vertically. All rear shocks should be straight up and down when the frame is perfectly level. Then they are working together. I have them at an equal distance from the lower control arm then spaced the at the top to be completely straight up and down.
    Drivers side.

Close Up

Close Up

Rick

The Bilstein guy came by to see Maurice and talk shocks but hasen't gotten back to us on price, we're thinking they will be at least double if not more than Pro shock. They look nice on yours.

Alan

Alan, Was ProShock at homecoming and is that what is going on current production cars?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Rick looks great can't wait for that promised ride.

Ralph

Update, final version

When it was all said and done, I changed to Hypercoil, 8" 2 1/2" ID , 350# rate rear springs. I have had these on the car for 4 or 5 years now. With the Billstein shocks I run 125 - 150 PSI of nitrogen charge on all 4 rear shocks. This gives you a firm ride but not a harsh ride. I still beleive the 300# springs are too light on any Unique and should be used only on Grocery Getters!!!!!!!!

In the front I ended up finding some 9" springs with a 375# spring rate. If I could use the 10" springs I would but my car wont work with the 10" springs, raises the front too much even when the adjustment ring is backed off. I also run between 125 and 150 PSI of nitrogen in the front. Just thought I would update the post.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear