Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Waxing poetic and general rambling

I guess it's time.......

It's not really all that unusual for our generation (the childhood part). What we were referring to, was a very "difficult" Dad. He had temper issues, that left us all with a few scars, but he's sick now, so no more need to be said. Nonetheless, he and my Mom have been together for more than 50 years, so that's something in this day and age.

Steve's and my stories are a bit different, but we've both been successful in different ways. I was always the "perfect student" and intellectually curious. Only problem was, I didn't learn how to have fun, until "middle age." Graduated near the top of my class at Duke, PhD at the University of Texas, before I was 25. Went to work immediately at NASA, where I ended up running a research division. Was nominated Chief Scientist at FAA during the first Bush Administration. Left in 1992 to run operations at Northwest Airlines where I stayed for almost 10 years. I left NW 2 weeks before 9/11. I've been consulting since then, but now like to play more than work.

The problem with my career was that it was almost 24/7, which left many holes in my life. I've learned from those mistakes, and beginning to recover. I do have a wonderful daughter who is 16, and her mother and I are still very close, although we're not together.

That's enough..........I've enjoyed all the other stories.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

Now I not only feel old, but inadequate... but happy. Glad to know you and hope to meet you face-to-face soon.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

yea, me too Phil, inadequate, super -Clay, did you ever meet a fellow from alabama john lelus white with nasa in los angeles?I went to grade school with him at eastaboga and lincoln where the new honda plant is in alabama.Think we are witnesses to stories of the american dream, look at where we started when we were young and where we went to in our working years. Always makes you feel good to read such a good story. Will-Alabama

Please don't use terms like "inadequate." I have many regrets because of the path I chose. I'd probably do it differently if I could do it over again. All I can do now is try to make up for "lost time." "Success" is a very relative term.

I was just telling my story.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I have met Clay and had the oppertunity to spend quality time talking to him as well as some Tequila clouded conversation as well. GREAT GUY!! He is one of those FEW people that are sucessful but you would never know it.

Thanks Clay!

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

I earned all my money the "old fashioned way", I inherited it

I'm probably the dumbest and luckiest guy I know...

Retired when I was 52 and don't have the least desire to go back to work.[8D]

AL

Al,

You are my hero!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

quote:Originally posted by Russ Dickey

...life deals us all some challenging hands at one point or another
    Good quote. My challenging hand...

At the age of 9, I was playing in the open carport on a Saturday at our home in Cumming, GA. It was a sunny day. I was playing with a Hotwheel car. My dad came to the door and called me inside.

"Hey, son. We need to talk to you for a moment."

Well, I knew that nothing good ever followed "we need to talk", but I got up and went inside anyway. I remember it so clearly... I sat on the beige colored sofa in the living room. My mom sat on the same sofa a couple feet away to my right with her hands clasped between her legs and said virtually nothing. Dad sat in a chair facing me, slightly to my right. He was leaning forward with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped.

"Your mom and I have decided to get a divorce."

He said a few other small things, which I'd rather not convey, but I remember them clearly. Dad asked if I was okay. I nodded.

"Is there anything you'd like to ask one of us?"

I shook my head.

"This doesn't mean we don't love you anymore. We just don't love each other the way we used to. You know we still love you, right?"

I nodded.

Shortly thereafter, I went back outside and played and pushed the moment away to a small dark corner of my mind... for another day. The whole event probably lasted all of 4 minutes. On the surface, life didn't necessarily change after that, as my parents had been separated for many years prior to this. I just grew up that way... visiting dad every other weekend way down in south Georgia... and never gave it a second thought. I almost thought it strange to go to a friend's house and see both his parents there.

But hearing the words did make a difference. I couldn't put my 9-year-old finger on it, but there was a difference.

That moment affected me for decades and still affects me to this day. Now that I have a son and I see firsthand how much he enjoys our time together, I am once again drawn back to it. I wonder how I must have reacted as a toddler when daddy ceased coming home at night. That's all I feel like saying about that right now.

One thing my parents definitely did right: they never used me to get at each other. And they never acted bitter or resentful towards one another, at least not in front of me. I am very close to both of them.

EDIT:

I feel compelled to add one tiny little thing to this... About four years ago, my wife and I had both of our signatures on a divorce agreement. All we needed was a court date to make it official, which would take about a month due to scheduling.

I eventually humbled myself enough to ask God how on Earth I was gonna fix this mess I was in. He showed me His plan. I followed it. It worked. Next month, my wife and I will celebrate our 10-year anniversary. Okay, I'm done now.

Keith
    Unique Motorcars
    Southern Automotive
    Bruce Bunn (the painter)
    Last edited by excelguru; September 7th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Man Keith, that was SO close to home. Even the age. When I got married, my resolve was that the only way we would ever get divorced once we had children was to stop us from litteraly killing each other. If we could not stop that, then all other issues would be worked out. So far that level of commitment as worked out very well!
    Rick

just read ,Keith, think i will go to lunch,thanksgiving--where do we start? Will-alabama

Born in 1961 in WI near Green Bay. Dad was xfered to Ohio when I was 5 so Ohio has been my home. Lived in the Burbs but my house backed-up against a 100ac farm. Spent most of my time riding dirt bikes, building tree forts and fishing in ponds. An average student in school but unable to stick with anything for very long. Enlisted in the Air Force in 1980 - 1984 (Jet Engine Mechanic) Had a fantastic time during those four years and too many tales to tell now. Met my wife Lori in 86 and have been together ever since. We have two daughters one 15 and the other 9 the youngest is named Shelby. My fasination with the cobras started when I was in the service and saw an ad in Hot Rod Mag. It was Unique's ad. I must have ordered 5 catalogs/Videos from Alan and Maurice over the years and really never seriously considered anyone else to buy from. Well thats most of my story I'll save the rest when we can have a cold beer

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Boy, a lot has happened since I lasted posted. I have a daughter now. She enjoys flirting with older boys. I think she's gonna be real a problem when she gets older. Why do I get this sinking feeling that all the things I did in high school & college are gonna come back to haunt me? (sigh)

I need to buy a shotgun and go to the skeet range to get more practice with moving targets. LOL. Actually, I shot 82% the last time I went. I thought that was pretty good considering it was only my 2nd time skeet shooting. Sorry, got off topic there.
    Keith []
    Unique Motorcars 427 SC
    Southern Automotive 462 stroker

LMAO..........Keith, good to hear from you!

On the daughter thing, mine is in college, and I no longer have any control. That is a good thing if you can just convince yourself there is no other alternative.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD