Thread: Chapter 12 - The Tin Man

Chapter 12 - The Tin Man

Like most car guys, I am a firm believer that the engine is at the heart of a car. My feelings have been supported by many a similar word on this site in the last several months as we have followed engine builds or major repair on other Unique cars owned by our friends “Homer”, “Gasman”, “Patrija”, and others that I have surely missed. And when my dad and I picked up the Spence car just a bit over a year ago, it had certainly had an engine, but I don’t think it had a heart.

Recalling the past 12 months, it is hard to believe that dad and I have had the car for that long. Thumbing through some of the first pictures from our initial disassembly last Thanksgiving, we are proud at the progress we have made. At the same time, it is a tiny bit discouraging that after a year we still only have a pile of parts (albeit bigger and cleaner now) and have yet to feel the thrill of rolling down the road in the “Cobra nobody wanted”. On the bright side, we are still moving forward and have one interstate move, a new house, new job and plenty of progress on the Cobra to show for my year.

But I digress…Just 12 months ago our little 289 Cobra bore an uncanny resemblance to the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz…It had no heart. And it creaked when it moved too.

The junk yard special 351W that came with our car had a header leak and water in the oil, but the block was sound, the machine work decent, and the forged pistons inside were almost brand new. Because of the suspect nature of the workmanship in the rest of the car, I took nothing for granted and had the block tanked, the cylinder bores cleaned up with a hone, the surfaces decked, and the bearings line-bored. We picked up new World Products heads and a Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller. Armed with a sprinkling of experience, several good reference manuals, and plenty of time and ambition, I dove head first into engine assembly 101.

Despite all the black magic voodoo associated with this part of the engine, the short block came together pretty easily and without problem. I don’t pretend to take any credit for this as the machine shop did all the hard work, I just operated the torque wrench and feeler gauges to make sure all our clearances were on target…Which they were, the first time out of the blocks.

Back in September, I took things a bit further into my own hands by attacking a brand new set of Windsor Sr. cylinder heads with my die grinder. After coating my self and the garage with cast iron dust for three straight weekends, I now had myself fully polished and ported runners and bowls that is expected to allow an additional 8%-10% of flow. The results looked pretty good to me, but I was still a bit sheepish about my first porting job until I got to the machine shop where I took the heads to have the valve guides and spring seats cut down. I grinned like a Cheshire cat as the old timer in the shop showed off my handiwork to everyone that would wander by. To this day I am not sure, however, if he was actually impressed or if he wanted everyone to get a good look at what a stubborn fool looks like for making a mess of a new pair of heads.

When my folks came to town last week for Thanksgiving, I had planned for Dad and me to finish assembling the heads and get them onto the engine. With our freshly painted heads, the assembly process began before our turkey dinner was fully digested. We dove into wrangling high performance Teflon valve guide seals onto heads only to find out that the our valve spring shims would not fit over the now expanded seal…So off they came, and we hopped into the car for our third trip to Napa on that particular day. And so went the week of learning and wrenching. In the end, after three UPS deliveries, four days of turkey sandwiches, and five trips to town for various parts, we finally finished our open heart surgery on the little mill that puttered and smoked when we fired it up for the final time last Thanksgiving.

[img]http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/n

Great reading. Not only have you shown dedication above and beyond with this ambitious build, but it's also nice to see that one 'bad apple' can't spoil the Unique brand!!

I look forward to seeing the finished car at the Homecoming next year.

chill

Unique 289FIA
    Southern 396 Stroker

Brian, S W E E T looking motor!!!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

This is the 3rd try at this post -

You are killing me with this great stuff - sweet lookng mill [^] The Spence car legend and its transformation will live on and inspire others. I hope to see the car at Homecoming '05 and meeting the builder.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Looking great Brian and Dad! Cant wait to see the finished product. BTW I think your very fortunate for having a Dad like you do and you guys get to spend quailty time together doing something you both enjoy working on. Keep up the good work and I'l wait patiently for your next progress story.

CJ

Unique 4279459

Very Very Nice!

You guys are doing one heck of a job on that car. I had a feeling after meeting you and your father (great guy!) at Homecoming the build would be a meticulus and well engineered wonder to watch. For a change,I was right on the money. (-:

Now get busy so I can see it in May!

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Brian,

Looks like you guys are back on track after the move. Things will move quicker than you think now[^]. Everythings looks great!!

Rick

Excellent as usual Brian!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

everybody wants to get in on this kind of action, can we come pull a wrench or two? sweep or something. She,s a beauty, 2005, can,t wait, want to hear that little baby roar.More pictures tooo. Dutton boys always have some pretty engines to see when i go out there. Love it. Will-alabama

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Brian, all I can say is that your project is turning out to be "SPENSATIONAL!"

"Spensational"...I love it! As much as we are making the car our very own, I don't think it will ever lose the "Spence Car" moniker. Granted, I am the one to blame for this by calling such, but I enjoy knowing the transformation that the car is making. Perhaps it is my Midwest upbringing, but I would much prefer to find a diamond in the rough and clean it up myself than to buy one outright. It costs more in the end, but for me, the journey is usually more enjoyable than the arrival.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

It looks more "spenceless" to me!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

It's becoming "nonspence"

Paul

Brian,

You and your Dad had better get "The Spence Car" finished in time for the Homecoming! I want MY ride in it Remember, you owe me one

I think we already know who will be People's Choice this year[^]

Kelly

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Yes, the journey is definately where it's at... and a great part of it is that when this baby is done, every journey in it will be awesome! In fact, I bet this car becomes "INDISPENSABLE!"

Kelly, You nailed it. This car is gonna be the shiznit! Not only People's choice, maybe favorite ride, etc. etc. truly Awesome!!!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389