Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Swap Questions

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Russ,

High two's at the rear wheel seems about right for what you describe. You can make a lot more by following what we have been talking about. What CJ describes sounds about right for his friend's setup as well.

However, I would prefer what I described, because it makes torque down lower, and still makes about the same HP, but at a lower RPM. The peak HP is 524.7 @ 5500RPM, and 541.0ft-lb @ 4600. It has 508.7ft-lb @ 3600RPM!!! This thing is a brute, and you don't have to rev it as much, making it more streetable (I have a copy of the dyno sheet on it). The main difference is in the RPM air Gap dual plane intake matched to the Vic Jr heads. This combo takes advantage of the increased cubes in the stroker (408) without jumping things as far up in the RPM range as the single plane Vic jr intake. This should get you to right about where you want at mid-400s RWHP. By the way, you can get a version of this setup ready to drop in and run from Keith Craft for about $5600, but for that price you get the cast crank. However, you can upgrade it as well. Check out his website http://www.keithcraft.com/new_site/index.html If you want a higher revver, go with something like CJ is talking about.

Paul

289 FIA (virtual)

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Some of you guys know my car. I bought it last year from Jeff Karnitz in Wisc. I have the motor that we have all benn talking about. 351W stoker [eagle]It puts out about more power than I can use. These cars are all fast in relative terms. I can't think of adding morepower to a 2400 lb car and using it. I mean, when I get on the trottle, It's hang f##kin on. What else do you want? Any motor puting out a healthy 400HP at the flywheel is more than enough power. the 351 is just the perfect motor for the 289 car. Bondurant was right.

Sundown

351W stroker 289FIA

Sundown

I've got a FIA with a SA 396W Stroker, trick flow wedge heads, RPM air gap manifold and Holley 750. The only problem is with the air-gap manifold, it sits up higher on the engine and I can't use a 14" dia x 3" high air filter. I have to use a 14" x 2". The problem is I cannot get enough air for the motor to really run. If I take the air cleaner of, it feels like it runs 15%-20% faster. The calculations from K&N say I need a 14" x 3".

Spd4Me,
    What if you run one of those K&N air cleaner lids? (X-stream I believe) My Mustang has a similar clearance issue and I put on the X-stream lid and had to re-jet the carb I was getting so much more air!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

I have heard from some folks who have used the K&N X-treme lids on cars with hood scoops, that the air rushing in from both the top and the front of the air cleaner causes too much turbulence, and actually depletes air from around the carb. This in turn caused a stumble at high speeds. Some guys got rid of the lids and the problem went away, others built a cover for the front portion of the air filter, and that fixed the problem. Never tried one myself though.

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

I've got the 351 W from Southern Automotive - 410 HP configuration.

What would be a conservative guess on HP to wheels?

Engine seems very adequate.

AL

quote:Originally posted by casaleenie

I've got the 351 W from Southern Automotive - 410 HP configuration.

What would be a conservative guess on HP to wheels?

Engine seems very adequate.

AL
    Al, this is a rough idea for you. A manual transmission loses around 15%-17% of engine horsepower and an automatic transmission loses between 20%-25%. A typical manual transmission takes around 35 horsepower where an Automatic takes around 50. To be sure put her on a dyno and see if were close.

Unique 4279459

I have also read in my research that the Jag diffs in our cars cause more of HP loss than a 9" or 8.8 (roughly about 5% more). The overall figures on my car with a Tremec 3550 trans equal out to be about a 20% total HP loss from the crank to the ground.

So Al, if your running the Tremec 5-spd, my guess is your putting around 320-330hp to the ground. Lucky dog. You'd run away and hide from me...

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Russ is right, thats why I said rough idea. The rotating components tires (size, wieght), driveline (length, material = carbon fiber, aluminum, steel), flywheel (steel vs. aluminum), transmission (manual vs. auto) rearend type, they all have their own rotational inertia which will affect the persentage of loss.

Unique 4279459