Thread: Autocross wheels

Autocross wheels

I just did my first autocross in the cobra. What a blast. Just need more traction. My car has 15 wheels with the old period correct Goodyear tires. I have a 289 car and am now looking to get some autocross wheels. What do you guys recomend? Should I stick with 15" wheels or get larger wheels? What tires?

I asked the same question sfapsey we probably all have at one time or another. Hopefully Clay will stop in and give you his opinions because he had a set of both 15" and 17". I said had cause I bought his 17" wheels and tires from him. He told me he loved the way the 17's handled and the better traction they provided but he wasn't going to be doing any racing so he really didn't need them and prefered the "correct look" of the 15". Sorry I cant help any more than that but hopefully the guys will hit the forum soon. Here is a picture of the 17" Compumotives for you to at least get an idea of how they look.

Unique 4279459

Yep, CJ got it right. There was no comparison between the handling of the car on the 17 Y-rated tires vs. the only crappy 15's available now in the sizes correct for a Cobra. The car was on rails with the 17's, but I never raced or autocrossed it, because I'd just rather not do that in a Cobra.

Damn those look good on your car CJ........what was I thinking with the "period-correct" thing?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

If you are going to have two sets and the second set is strickly for autocross and track use it really doesn't matter. Hoosier makes a autocross and track compound in a DOT legal radial in a 245 and 275 50 that will work well. It will also lower the car a bit for those track days. If you want a dual purpose tire, then your options are better in the 17". But the tires built specifically for track use will obviously way out do the ultra high performance road tires. However, the better handling is very adictive and you may decide to keep the 17s for everyday use and the 15s for track use.
    Rick