Thread: Who's got the oldest Unique 427 here?

Who's got the oldest Unique 427 here?

Hi, everyone! I was just curious how many of you have owned your Cobras for 10 years or more. My Unique 427 S/C was built in March of 1993, and is Number 9170. The powertrain is even more "seasoned" - it is a 1969 428FE Super Cobra Jet, including the original SCJ heads and aluminum Police Interceptor intake manifold, putting the power to the ground via a T-10 Toploader 4-speed.

Mickey

I have an old 89 model with an Ernie Elliott engine laying around somewhere in the back of the shop, does that count?

Alan

Good question Mickey. Alan how about it, do you know where the early cars are?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Alan,

Please correct me if I am wrong here but didn't you and the family start building Cobras here in Scottsdale in the late 70's before the move back to the ancestral homegrounds? I know that a 10 year old Unique is way cool but hey, the later cars are endowed with so much of your learning curve. Aren't they superior cars to the early models. Ofcourse no offense is meant if you have one of the early family jewels. I know that we have the best manufacturer and the most accurate to the details that we all love.

Sundown

Tracy Arrington and Butch Capps have 427 S/C's that are one owner cars that are over 10 years old[^].

T-10 Toploader,[?]

Rick

Actually, there is no such thing as SCJ heads - the heads on an SCJ are no different than regular CJ heads...

'66 GT-350H : '69 428SCJ Mach 1
    '70 Boss 302 : '93 SVT Cobra
    Unique 289 FIA (351C)

I got a call a few months back from a guy in Jacksonville Fl that had bought the 1st kit we sold after we took over the company in 1977, I remember selling the kit at the Kruse Auction in Scottsdale to a man from New Mexico, he owned the car until last year. Our customers seem to hold onto their cars longer than any other of the manufactures. I check out the various sites that advertise used cars and you just don't find many Uniques for sale, you can't say that about the other companies, the South African cars change owners more often than Maurice changes his, well you know what I mean.

Alan

Alan,

How many Uniques (approx) are on the streets right now? or rather, how many kits have gone out the door over these many years?

AL

Alan, no I don't know what you mean, but I may not want to either........

Just received a call from another potential new buyer in MD today. He wants to come and look over my car.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Mine is '85 vintage. I beleive that Jim Hardings is '82.
    Rick

You are absolutely right - there is no difference between SCJ and CJ heads. I've just always referred to the original heads on original SCJ motors as "Super Cobra Jet" heads. As you know, the real differences between the two are in the SCJ's unique reciprocating parts, i.e., the connecting rods, the cast pistons, different harmonic balancer, etc.

Mickey

1993 427 S/C (#9170)
    '69 428FE SCJ motor
    Toploader T-10 4-speed
    3:31 posi

Mikey.
    I've had my 427 since about June 1991....I think the # is 9137.
    I'll check the # when I get it out of winter storage.( May 2005.)
    The car is still as rock solid as the day I finished building it.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

We try to keep track of all our cars, usually if one is sold the new owner will call us to get info on the car then we can update our files. We don't give out the exact # of cars we have sold but its around 1500. I do know Jim Hardings car is the oldest on the forum, it would be nice to have the 1st car from Jacksonville at our next open house.

Alan

Hey Alan you have produced more cars that Ole Shel. He did 1030. 655 leaf spring cars, 348 coil coil spring 427s 27 coil springed 289s for Europe, not including a few ACMkIVs. Congatulations, for producing a much better product than Ole Shel.

Happy Year

Ralph

There was a man here in Huntsville, Dan Charles, who had one of the early ones; I believe it was an early 80's version. I don't know if he follows this forum or not.
    Mine has been on the road since 1993.
    Keith

Do you guys remember the "conversation piece" on the old cars?
    Sammy

NO[?]

Rick

#9114 with 67 427