Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just order deluxe 427 pallet kit

Clay is the "T" rating for "turds"? BFG is making some new high performance tires in various sizes (15" - 20") - I saw then on HP TV.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

BFG has some 'Drag Radial T/A' tires that are in the correct sizes for our cars, but they are not recommended for sustained road use...Or at least that is what the information on them says. I am looking at Goodyear Eagle GA's as they come in the sizes that I need for our FIA. They are white letter on one side and T rated just like everything else. Anyone have experience with these on a Cobra? I have these on my '66 Mustang and they are fine...Not wonderful, but fine.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Yes, T is for Turd in this case. The only available "period correct" tires now are bricks except for the drag slicks, which most wouldn't want to use on the street.

Hopefully, "Tireguy" will come through thanks to Brent's encouragement.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I got some prices on some Goodyear Eagle GT II 295 50 15 $140.00 and the 235 60 15 $115.00 a piece. Are these prices fair? I forgot to ask if it included mounting and balancing.

Tony, why don't you wait to see if the new tires will be available. You can alway pick up your roller with junk POS tires on it.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Tony,
    Might be a good idea to wait to see if Tireguy comes through by the time you need rolling stock. If you decide to go with the Eagle GT II's you might want to check Tire Rack. They list prices for the tires you quoted at $70-$75 each. This obviously does not include mounting, balancing, and valve stems. I plan to go this route so that I can have the tires mounted and balanced on a Hunter machine. (Search on this site for previous discussion of the Hunter balancing process) Since Tireguy is not making FIA treads yet, I only have to choose between the Yokohama Avid, Goodyear Eagle GT II, Dunlop Qualifier GT, and BFG Radial T/A.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

When you are ready for tires, call the Tire Rack and have them drop shipped to us and we can mount and balance them for you. The kit will have to have tires and wheels for Carlisle.

Alan

Clay If I'm going to go through a set of at least rear tires I'll buy the goodyears first and then the by the fall I can get a set from Tireguy.
    Alan, I am planning a trip to visit you and Bill. So I'll bring the tires and wheels to you. Will let you know before I show up at your door.

Thanks for info on the tirerack. I thought I searched there and no tires found in the rear sizes. I'll check again. My brother is an automechanic and has tire resources, I'll check with him too.

Tony

Tony,

I bought my tires from the Tire Rack and had them dropped shipped to Unique (BFG 245/60-15 $69, 295/50-15 $94), Painless! If I had it to do over again I would seriously consider the Yokohama's, or until something better comes along (especially if you plan on melting the rears within a few months [8D]).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Might try the Yokohamas. Price sound good on the BFG. I have a little time. I figured If I had my tires and wheels with me I could set them up in the garage and dream I was racing in my Cobra[8D] at Sebring or something like that.

Tony

I can tell you the BFGs are bricks. You'll burn your clutch out before you wear them out......they're so damn hard. But, I don't think any of the other choices are much better. I've heard from several who have run both, that the Yoko's are slightly better, but not much.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

It just ain't fair!! Well It sounds like tireguy will make a fotune if he comes through with a good tire. What about racing slicks with treads cut in them? Just a thought. I know before Mickey Thompson came out with his treaded slicks that is what street racers did.

Tony

BFG and Hoosier both make a street legal race tire. If you decide to use them just put a cheap paint job on the car as the tires will sandblast the paint off of the sides anyway.

It is a bad deal with the 15" tires. I have the third set off of the car and I am shipping them to "Tireguy" to be cut apart and inspected. I am VERY excited about the next set. Here is a little info:

245/60/15 front
    295/50/15 rear
    hybrid semi soft street compound
    flat profile tread design
    tires to be shaved round on a tire uniformity machine
    tires to be "dough" balanced at the factory

Dough balance was a new one on me. Tireguy explained that he manufactures airplane tires for Goodyear and the FAA regulations require the tire to be balanced prior to mounting. OPn the "Cobra" tires they will allow the tire to cure, mount it, shave it, and then spin it to see where the out of balance area is. They will mark this area on the outside of the tire and unmount it. They then will apply layers of a fast cure rubber mixed with red lead to the inside of the tire in the area designated by the balance machine until the correct ammount of weight is added. His goal is a round, flat, balanced, light weight,tire for our cars. I have no idea if this will pan out but he has been great so far.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Brent,

He has 3 months to get us some good tires, must have by May.
    Sounds like it is a possibility.
    Sure would make the Breakfast Runs in September more exciting[}].

Rick

Alan,

While Naumoff is at you place with the tires and Trigo wheels he could go ahead and fit them to the Trigo Adapters
    FUN FUN

Rick

Brent, It is amazing to me the expense Tireguy is willing make so that we have a perfect tire. This guy is either obsessed or realizes how big the market could potentially be. How fast will he be able to produce these tires?

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

I've lost track throgh all the various threads on this topic, here and on CC - has a price been determined?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Tony,

Congrat's on your new car. Thrsr guys are right. There's a bunch of folks here that know how to build these cars the correct way.Although I bought a completed car, I know mine now from the inside out after having to solve a miriad of small problems not withstanding the top end rebuild of my 351W stroker. After a year, she's finally sorted out and running fine. These cars are way too much fun! Enjoy yours!

Sundown

Thanks Sundown,
    I don't think I will get much sleep between now and the end of April when I will be able to pick up my Cobra and engine and trans at Carlisle.
    I have been keeping a watch on the builds to see what guys are running into as they progress. I will definately pick everyones brains when I start my build. What is the best way to support the body when I take it for paint? Should I build a frame with casters to support and move it?
    Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS