Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Maintenance/Mini Makeover

Engine Maintenance/Mini Makeover

I just finished a bunch of little things including a mini makeover, and winter maintenance. My car has been ridden hard and put away wet many times this year. I installed new valve covers, SPAL fan, Ford Racing 9MM plug wires, spark plugs, thermostat, male terminal distrib cap, flushed coolant system, fan belt, polished all the alum. and did a general engine degreasing.

My engine's never been this clean as those that saw it at Homecoming last year can attest.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Looking Good Clay!!!That is one nice ride you have!!
    Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

It's about time!!![:O]
    Looks much better[^]

Whats a male terminal distributor cap[?]

Rick

I had the old Ford/Motorcraft socket type distributor and cap. I left the distrib. alone, since it's always run so well and replaced it with a new cap from Ford Racing. It's similar to the MSD set up with male terminals as opposed to the female (socket) on an old-style distrib. cap. Plus, I couldn't find socket type connectors for 9MM wires.

My sources have been telling me its a better design to ensure good connections.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Looking good Clay. Should be interesting to see what everyone has been up to when spring finally rolls around [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Yeah, Phil. That's why I started a new thread here instead of on that year-old+ CACC Polar Bear thread.

Post the pictures, guys!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay, the engine bay looks fantastic. I used the Cobra Lemans valve covers also.

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Lookin good,
    Clay!

Does this mean you are turning into a waxer???

Good Show -- Time well spent!
    -Geary

Kelly, it's the first time, I've done anything in there in two years. Once a year, during winter, I do something whether it needs it or not. Last winter I did the underside of the car.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

Where did you get the loom clips for the 9mm wires. Mine still look as bad as they did at homecoming last year. Can't find clips large enough.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

John, The looms are from Ford Motorsport, and have the logo on them. I picked them up at a Ford dealer who sells a lot of Ford Racing stuff, but I'm sure they're available on their website. All their wires are 9MM.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Looking good Clay, clean, lean, and mean!

Ralph

Nice job Clay..... hard to believe that's your car

I think you'll notice a big difference in the temp gauge reading with the new fan.

One of these days maybe mine will be clean enough to open the hood somewhere other than my garage

Some guys have too much free time on their hands.............

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Clay,
    As info (male terminal distributor cap) HEI connectors, (High Energy Ignition).
    New connectors that were introduced to replace the socket type connectors, also used by MSD and others.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks, that's what I thought I said, and what I installed to replace the old socket type.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay the motor looks great!

I know this is the time of year to work out in the garage, however, I can't seem to get over the cold weather blues. When I am not at work all I want to do is lay on the damn couch.

Brent

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Brent thanks, I know what you mean, but I haven't been stricken yet. Maybe I'll escape this year.

Jim, has Joanne made a complete recovery?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Hi Clay, thanks for asking...... I'd say she's about 95%, just has to gain more confidence that her new knee isn't going to "collapse" under her and put her on her a$$[8D]

She really is milking this being off work. She has another doctor visit this Thursday..... maybe he'll tell her it OK to go back to work now..... that should really pi$$ her off

Hmmmm, what's it been now..... we've had real winter for a whole week now.... come on spring!!!

- Jim -

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Brent, the hardest step is the first one. I'm finally into my Winter to-do list, and it is a long one!

Ralph