Thread: Trying to decide ERA vs. Unique

Trying to decide ERA vs. Unique

Hi, folks. This is my fisrt post on your forum. I am buying a Cobra, and thought I had my mind made up to purchase an ERA. However, I was on the phone today with Bill at Southern Automotive, who will likely build my 427SO, and he had lots of positive things to say about Unique. I called and spoke briefly with Maurice Weaver, and things sounded pretty good. My problem is this. I am very familiar with the ERA. It clearly has a reputation as being the cream of the crop of Cobra replicas. However, you pay a dear price for that, as it is about the most expensive non-Shelby 'glass car out there. Using the ERA as my benchmark, due to my familiarity with it, where does the Unique car sit? I'm told that the ERA is near 100% accurate to the original Cobra in look, stance and interior. This same person said that the Unique has some small differences. Is that true? If so, what are they? ERA also has among the highest resale value. Where is Unique on that? What is the perception within the Cobra community about Unique cars? Are they held in the same esteem that ERA seems to be? One of the plusses I keep hearing about with Unique is dealing with the Weaver family. That seems like a big benefit to deal with good people. As I said, I'm really comfotable with the ERA. The only reason I'm starting to consider a Unique, quite frankly, is that I can save quite a bit of money. The Unique seems to be a bit of a bargain compared to the ERA. However, being a typical leery New Yorker, I'm always a bit skeptical of bargains. I tend to believe that you get what you pay for. Anyone who can give me a really comprehensive comparison between the two brands in all areas whould be doing this confused and eager newbie a huge service. I truly appreciate any help you all can lend. Thanks!

Jockey welcome to the forum! I was in the same boat about two years ago. I was ready to order an ERA and get in line for the long wait. I had never heard of Unique until I visited Southern Automotive. Bill showed me a Unique and an SPF he had in his shop and I drove both. I then contacted the Weavers and set up a visit.

The ERA was now out of the picture as the wait was more than I was willing to put up with, it was between Unique and SPF. After my visit to Unique I was sold and decided that I really wanted an FIA. That choice knocked SPF out of the picture and put ERA back in the mix.

I aggonized over the same issues as you. I sat down and listed the pros and cons of both and the Unique won by a small margin. I tossed resale out of the equation because I could not find any Uniques for sale in the open market. Seems that most people keep their Uniques or if they sell it is done quietly between individuals.

Unique doesn't advertise much and they certianly don't toot their own horn - they just build a great replica and treat all of the owners like family.I think they have been is business longer than any replica car maker in the country - at least Alan looks like he has been in the business for decades[^]

You won't go wrong with either car but I'm glad I bought a Unique. I would encourage you to visit them and then join our little family. One more thing I didn't by my car with the intention of selling it so I don't worry about resale - it's a hobby not an investment. I do think I'll get a fair return on my "fun machine" if I ever move on to something more sensible than a car that makes your hair stand straight up.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
    Southern Automotive 396
    Team III 16's
    Brilliant Silver

Jockey,
    You sound just like me. I was going to buy the ERA because of the look, the accuracy, but wasn't thinking of the cost other than how I was going to get the money for my dream. Uniques are a high quality product that hold their value. I saw a 427 Cobra on a website that was beautiful and had the right look. I found out it was a Unique and emailed the guy to see if he would let me look at his car. I think you need to see the car in person. "You can slam the door" he said. When he saw me trying to be careful. The car is solid as a rock. After that visit I research the differances btween the ERA and the Unique. the Unique uses new Wildwood brakes up front ERA uses used GM brakes. The radiator is up right in the Unique and the ERA is slanted back that's why the fans are less noticable. Leather seats standard.You know the list. I had my heart set on a ERA but after the visit to see the Unique car and talk to the owner I was sold. I had seen ERAs in person and love them. The Unique is a very high quality product and is in the same class as the ERA. The bonus is that it is less expensive than ERA and I feel after my research a better car.
    I beleive in the 10 golden rules for selecting and purchasing your Cobra replicar. you have to buy what is going to make you happy. I placed my order for my Unique Cobra 427 and a SA 427 s/o last month. I will take delivery of my kit and engine at the Carlisle show in April.
    The 10 golden rules are on www.cobracountry.com

hope this helps Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Jockey,

All of the above is dead on, but I'll just toss in my two cents anyhow.

First off, Unique Motorcars is probably the best when it comes to customer serivce. ERA has a good rep too, but my bias is towards Unique due to my experience with them.

Second, I have to smile when I hear "replicate" the original. I think every replica made came from a mold that was splashed off of a real car. The thing is, after many years, the real cars have taken on a different look from when they were turned out from AC cars.... either race damage repairs, other wrecks/repairs, individual tastes to change things here and there, whatever. I'd venture to say that put side by side, the real cars don't all look the same!..... so if you're looking to replicate an original car, first choose one that suits your fancy and build one as close as you can. Unique builds a solid car that looks like a 'real' Cobra, but it's a glass car, not aluminum. Same with ERA. So just how much of the original cars do you want to replicate. And how handy are you to make the changes to a factory replica so it looks like your dream car?

Take your time making up your mind, but in either case, you'll be just as happy with a Unique as you would be with an ERA when you're driving down the street with a grin on your face that an undertaker couldn't remove

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Let me jump in here[^]
    First of all I have a Unique 427 S/C with a 427 side oiler and Top Loader transmission with about all the extra's that you can put on one. Aluminum nose, engine compartment, all the suspension upgrades, and performance upgrades and I built it myself.
    Now saying that, I just recently was involved with a sale of an ERA that was pretty much the same except for the aluminum engine compartment. I spent 3 hours checking this car out for a guy in Oregon, the car was in Louisville where I live.
    So bottom line, the car was nice, had a Shebly Aluminum 427 with all the bells and whistles, top loader, coil overs, ect. I liked the car, it has some good points as well as areas I didnt like. Compared to the Unique they are pretty much equal. So what I am saying it's personal preference. My car was every bit as good as the ERA, feature for feature.
    What I didnt like about the ERA:
    Fuel tank, nice aluminum piece, was the lowest part of the car. The electrial stuff all over the firewall. The clutch and brake peddle location coming up through the floor. Carpet installation.
    The car is more correct looking under the hood, radiator mounted at an angle, white fiberglass footboxes, and the electrical running everywhere. Frame cross braced, and shock location.
    This was a turnkey car built by ERA, mid $70,000, in June of 1996, had a little over 5,000 miles on it. Sold for $41,500 sight unseen to the guy in Oregon. How's that for re-sale. The guy got a deal, it was a 55-58,000 car.
    It was even on EBay and didnt make the grade for under $60,000.
    I have had offers above that for my 2 1/2 year old Unique. So you can't make the statement that ERA's sell for more than Unique's. Depends on the car and the build. I would make sure I looked closely at a nice Unique build as well as a nice ERA build then buy the one I liked. They are in my opinion are the 2[8D]top cars out there, each has the foundation for a truly remarkable car[^]. That's my take on the subject. If you have other questions please e-mail me.

Rick

All well and accurately stated.

And Tony.......thanks for the compliment.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Welcome, you have a tough choice ahead of you. Fortuniatly, you have choosen two of the best companies out there so either way you should be happy. Go look at both, drive both, and visit both. Then you will be sure. Small investment in time and money compared to the overall cost of the project. Both are good companies, with good cars and good service.

Both cars varying from the original. Some ways are the same, some are different. Heck, the originals varied from the originals. You would be very hard pressed to find two original Cobras exactly the same. The car evolved to quickly and the Shelby group often used what was on hand to get the job done.

Good luck on your decision!

Rick

Clay,
    No problem. Didn't want to use your name and maybe embarrass you.
    But it is true.
    Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Can't add much more than has already been said, other than I'm out here on another planet (California) and the Weaver's have bent over backwards to insure everything goes smoothly. Hell, when I was doing the wiring Alan even gave me his cellphone number when they went on vacation in the event I ran into a snag.

It doesn't get any better than that [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    As previously stated, both are good companies with good cars. I have seen them both up close and personal. You will not be disappointed with either. But, ...

If I recall correctly, I started going to Gadsden to see the Weavers four or five years ago. I was simply exploring. However, each time I showed up they treated me the same way... they spent time with me, answered all questions, and NEVER acted impatient with me. It was about a year and a half between the first and second time I went there, and Alan even remembered where I was from! They even seemed happy to see me each time. It took a long time for me to commit, but I chose to purchase a Unique.

I have been following the kit-car industry since the early middle-eighties, and have had dealings with several other companies not mentioned in this thread. The Weavers have been around longer than most, and that says a lot in this business. I think I can say that I was buying what the Weavers stand for, and how they treat people, as much as I was buying the quality product that they make... simple as that.

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Who wants to wait over a year for their kit anyway?? I never have understood why ERA can't step up production. It doesn't take Ford that long to build a GT40! I would bet you could get a Ferrari Formula race car in as much time.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

quote:Originally posted by jhaynie

Who wants to wait over a year for their kit anyway?? I never have understood why ERA can't step up production. It doesn't take Ford that long to build a GT40! I would bet you could get a Ferrari Formula race car in as much time.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected
    i dont think they want that many cars going out the door. keeps the value high, and they have scores of people willing to wait that long, if not longer. later , brian

Same story here. Visited ERA twice, Unique twice, Everett-morrison, and F-5 over the course of 3 years. ERA would have been a logical choice as I live closeby in Boston and they are great cars. My guess was I'd spend 20-25% more for ERA with comparable equipt and both cars would be very close in quality with each having their strengths.
    One thing I liked was, along with the Weaver reputation, there is a friendly relationship with Bruce Bunn of Jodeco auto body and Bill Parham of Southern Automotive. They are in close physical proximity so you can take advantage of logistics like shipping, installing motor, body mounting.etc. All three outfits are straight shooters with great reps which is key in a project like this. Waiting for deluxe pallet with fe in April. visit creeperscobra.com. Its pretty good.
    Sorry about the Yankees. (I can't resist).

Jockey
    I'm at about the same page as Phil ( except I do not live in Planet California)...relative to all the input on the Uniques and ERA's.
    I spent close to a year (1990) and mucho $ on phone calls and
    manuals....before I choose Unique.
    Best decision I ever made.( car wise that is.)
    PS..with a good set of 'snows' on it I can even drive it here in Canada.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Doug, I can hardly say more, other than I also went through the same process of searching out the best.
    Unique fit my sense of best because of the looks, how clean it is under the hood, the people at Unique and the other owners of the car.... the guys on this forum. I feel it is not about just owning the car, but the community you become part of when you get a Unique. I can't speak for the ERA folks I'm sure they are great folks as well, but my personal experience with this group has been the best.

I built my own car. I had never done that before, so as a testament to the ease of the build I was able to do, it as did a lot of other guys who were not wrench heads or gear heads when they started the project. The build is a fantastic experience. So I hope whatever your decision is remember it is not just about the car it is the brotherhood!!

Ralph

Hi Ralph:

I know I am a relatively new member of this great brotherhood but I as well was sold for the same reason. I for one had owned a Superformance and thought it was a good car also but the difference of a 289 style of car and the great community spirit of all members inspired me to dive into a Unique. You all have made me feel very welcome at the three events I have been to with Rick Bagley.

Thank you.

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

I love the fact that I bought the correct car the first time and have had no regrets. I did most of my shopping after I purchased the car.
    Haven't had a moments regret. Very loyal owners and for good reasons.
    A thing of great joy and very dependable. I smile everytime I go out in the garage. [:I]

AL

What a huge amount of nice things being said about Unique and the Weavers. I've got to agree.
    I met Maurice and Alan at the International Kitcar Show in Cincinati in 1991. I wanted a 289 body car so I could use a small block engine correctly. Visited ERA several times (local for me, here in CT). Waited patiently through ERA 289 prototype. Believe me ERA makes a great car, as Unique does also. I talked to Maurice and Alan again at the International Kitcar Show in Indianapolis in 1992. At that time I ordered the 289 FIA/USRRC kit from Unique. Building the kit was a pleasure. I repeatedly heard horror stories from other kit builders about missing or unavailable parts. My kit was complete and exactly as ordered. I have attended every Homecomming since. In 2003 there was no homecomming, Tom Melia and I drove down to Gadsden, AL anyway just to say hello and have dinner with the Weavers. Every year Tom and I drive our Cobras from Connecticut to Gadsden, AL. It is a blast. We meet plenty of people along the way and have the greatest time. We always have some interesting stories to tell by the time we get there and some more from the trip home. If anybody wants to join us you're more than welcome. You can trailer if you like, we don't own one. You can't go wrong with an ERA or a unique car. It just wouldn't be as much fun driving 35 miles to ERA for me. I kind of like the average 2500 mile round trip to Unique. Let me know if you need info on sights to see and places to visit along the US84,81,59 corridor.
    I sold my car this past summer 2004. After putting over 40,000 smiles(sic) on it.I toyed with the idea of building a 427 body car, but I couldn't bear to put a small block in it. A big block car wouldn't be practical for the annual Spring road trip. So, here I go building a nice new 289 USRRC style car. Come to the Homecoming this spring to see it.
    HAVE FUN, enjoy life.

MIKE DEL
    "It's all in the detail"