Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puller fan brackets

Puller fan brackets

I need some ideas on fabricating brackets for the puller fan. Any pictures would be great.

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Scott, take a look at the aluminum we used to fabricate ours in the other fan thread.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Scott,

I am changing from dual 10" fans to 1 16" fan and getting rid of the plastic tabs through the radiator. This is the mount I am making for mine right now. Might give you an idea.

Good luck.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Brent, that's sweet. Do the brackets attach to the radiator or are they held in place by clamping to the front of the radiator?

Scott
    SA 428

The brackets are bent in a "C" shape to clamp around the radiator.

Before bending

Brent

Very nice Brent, as usual....you showdog you!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Really nice Brent. I fabricated mine from the strapping that came with the kit. I have an aluminum hinge cover above the radiator I removed my aluminum hinge cover mounted my top brackets by drilling through the hinge (that big fiberglass piece that runs over the radiator) going in from the front of the car you can access the the other side of the hood hinge to tighten down the bolts that you will untimately attach the top radiator to. The brackets at the top need to be bent like a stair step (riser-tread-riser) to connect the radiator to the hinge. For the bottom much less complicated the straps can be attached to the existing mounting brackets at the bottom of the radiator. The bend is a little tricky but nothing you can't figure out looking at it. Be sure to keep the fan off of the radiator fins. Replace the aluminum cover over the hinge and it is a very clean installation. I did not have to remove or disconnect the radiator to do this. A major plus in my book. I would have though if I had the beautiful piece that Brent has made.. Nice job man. For pictures look at the recent thread on fans there is not detail but you can see the untimate finished product.

Ralph

The pictures are from a website I found. I am making my own as we speak. I hope they turn out that nice.

I can't take credit for something I did not do.

Thanks anyway though.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

What do you think about installing a thin rubber membrane to the radiator side of the bracket? It would eliminate metal to metal contact.

Scott
    SA 428

Scott that would work.
    I am making mine out of .100 aluminum and hope for about 1/8" between the fan and the radiator. It is probably overkill but I do not want the fan to move or vibrate.

Look forward to seeing your car.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Master,
    Why don't you just use the brackets that come with the SPAL 16 inch fan? I screwed mine into the square fiberglass tube above the radiator and bolted it to the fiberglass under the radiator so the fan doesn't touch the radiator. If you tie it through the radiator vanes or let the fan touch the radiator, you will surely get a leak after it vibrates a hole in the radiator.

Jer

Jerry,

Are you sure you attached it to Fiberglass under the radiator, because there is none. The radiator sits in a steel channel.

Rick

Finished the puller fan conversion today. Just got it back from the radiator shop. Hooked it up to a battery, this bad boy pulls some air!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

I finished mounting my Spal fan today. [^]

Just a little elbow grease

Solid as a rock

Have fun

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Show dog.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Really Nice Brent!!

Ralph

Master,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I don't get on the computer very much. I looked at my installation tonight and I mounted my SPAL fan with the bracket kit that I ordered with my fan. Two brackets, spaced about 1 foot apart, are screwed into the square fiberglass tube above the radiator and the 3rd bracket is mounted onto the metal frame under the radiator in the center. If I remember correctly, I bent the brackets to form an "L" so they were the correct length to hold the fan so it would not touch/rub the radiator. I rotated the fan until the bracket slots on the fan were in an orientation to have two on top and one centered on the bottom.

If you'd like a photo, I can take a couple to send you.

Jer

Thanks for the offer, but Brent made a set of his brackets for me and the fan is installed. Thanks for everyone's help.

Scott
    SA 428

Scott,

Is it time to post some pics of your car or do we have to wait until homecoming?

Just giving you a hard time.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

I am terrible about taking pics, I will post some tomorrow.

Scott
    SA 428