Thread: This is the look I am after with my 289

This is the look I am after with my 289

Hi all:

I took some creative liberty and modified the photo of a fellow Unique owner from Arizona and tried to illustrate the look I am trying to achieve with my 289 I have on order. Note the grille, bumperettes, no scoop and no side pipes.

What do you all think of it? This is as close as I can get to seeing what it looks like until my car is finished in June. Am I anxious to get my car or what? This is what a Graphic Designer does with his free time, DREAM.

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Looks good Juan. I know how you feel. My 427 DP kit won't be ready for me to pick it up until the end of April. While I drive down the road I imagine myself driving my Cobra. And let me tell you it takes a lot of dream power becuase I am in a E250 work van!!! I have to get my helper to put all the fittings back into the bins when we arrive at the job site.good way to take inventory.
    Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Anticipation - that's one of the best experiences/memories I have. However, driving is fun also [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Well, When you get your car, you can always take the grill out, add side pipes and a scoop when you get bored. Just a joke Juan, the beauty of these cars is each to his own. I do like the look of a slabside!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Really nice rendering Juan. Love the look very clean, You know I would love to build a slabside this is as close as it gets with Unique.

Ralph

P.S the color?? Looks familiar...

you did good Juan, i love it. There is one in the alabama motorsports museum in birmingham, a forerunner to the cobra out of england, when there , hey, when we get together this spring this is a place to go. This is a world class auot/motorcycle museum, one of the best in the world. It is new, man invested 55 million denaros .Has a road course, honda-porsche, toyota and folks rent for a week of testing , closed to public type thing. Anyway, i like the slabside car, Juan, it is a pretty car.Will-alabama

We ordered a Ford crate motor, 302 with 345hp and received it last week. As soon as Rick and I get going with the engine prep for installation we will be posting some photos of the engine as we add items to it.

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Juan:
    I like it - very different!

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

You talking about the red car, or the white one behind it??

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

jhaynie:
    You mean that little golf cart? I can only imagine a 302 on that cart, what a screamer.

Russ:
    can you send me photos of your FIA car? I would love to save them as wallpaper for my computer.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

Juan -

YES!

I love the look you've created. While, like Ralph, I would love to build a slabside, I know that it's just not going to happen for $$$ reasons. Besides, I see the addition of the FIA flares as a practical advantage in that they will drastically cut back on the number of rock chips you're likely to get in the paint. Not to mention that Unique doesn't build a slabside, and who'd want to give up running with this crowd over a set of fender flares?!?

While I like the 427 SC body style, I really like the subtleness of the FIA, particularly with the undercar exhaust and street look of the smooth hood. It has a more innocent, fun look about it (well, as far as Cobras go), where there is no way to mistake that a 427 is all about pure performance business. Sort of like the '65 - '66 Mustang vs. the '69 - '70 models.

No kidding - this is what I've been looking for. For a while, I've been looking at the photos on the ERA site of one of their 289's done up in street trim, thinking: "Could you do that with a Unique?" This answers that question! Now, it's time to finish up Mom's Chevelle (aka "Cobra Support Vehicle 1"), take a breather, and then hopefully, hopefully start looking at this!

ZACH BUTTERWORTH

Zach Butterworth
    Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
    (Mom & Dad's 427)

Juan crank-up the camera there will be a lot of demand for pictures. Zack I think the closest I'd get to a slabside is what Juan is building as I have a strong product loyalty thing going on with Unique as well.

Ralph

Juan,
    It's a great look. I guess since you modified a picture of my car, I get to critique abit.

I really like the grill. It's a nice civil touch. Removing the Tucked Exhaust makes the car look somewhat "higher" off the ground to me. I think the tire size would have to be reduced to get that correct period look.

Since Unique 289 FIA's are essentially modified 427 bodies it's hard to see the "slabside" look here.

I,too, really like that early street Cobra look. Steve McQueen terrorized Los Angeles [Mulholland DR.]in one of these cars for a couple of years.

So that you don't forget what "Ruby" really looks like!

Sundown

Chris Ruby is really "clean" I can see why Juan picked your car for his rendering.

Ralph

Ralph, Thanks for the compliment. Ruby is very stock and plain. She was built to look like the comp racers that Shelby took to Europe. Even the guages are comp. period correct. The 351W is stroked but the look is of a 289 in full dress. I am one of those guys that are hooked on Small blocks.

I really do like what Juan was able to do thru the wizardry of computers.

Sundown

I like what he did too Chris. Having had the big block experience I think I would like a small block car to see if I would like it any better.

Ralph