Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Bleeders

Brake Bleeders

Anyone know the spec for the Jag rear brake bleed screws? I want to install the "speed bleeder" type but need the diameter/thread pitch. They "look" like 3/8 X 24, but that isn't a metric type. What did Girling use?

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Hmmmm guess this question stumped everyone[8][8]

Anyone care to even guess

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Jim,
    Jaguar is an English company so none of the threads on the rear end or the brakes are metric. I can check tonight as we have calipers in a box, but 3/8 sounds correct. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

I do believe it is 3/8 X 24 NFS thread

Brent

Brian.....

Well, that just shows how much I know

I thought the Brits had a different standard than what we yank's use. I know of British Standard Pipe, and most of the world using the metric system, so I figured something else was used on the girling calipers. Learn something new everyday..... and never to old either

I wait your reply.... thanks

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Hey Brent.. thanks!

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Jim,
    The brake bleeders are 3/8-24 pipe thread. Let me know if you need any more rear end or brake dimensions as they are all accessible...For now!

Brian,

Once again "thanks" for getting me past another hurdle with my car. The info you gave me last year about the upper shock mounts saved me a few headaches too.

Hopefully, I won't need anymore info..... at least not until the day after you put the thing back under the car

Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Quote Originally Posted by nolastyankee View Post
    Jim,
    The brake bleeders are 3/8-24 pipe thread. Let me know if you need any more rear end or brake dimensions as they are all accessible...For now!

where are they accessable, I want to gather all the info I can for ref and future jobs.
    Would you happen to know the bleeder size for the front and clutch slave?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

David,
    When I wrote the above response to Jim the body wasn't on our car so I could easily get at the rear brakes to measure the thread pitch on the bleeders. The rear brakes are still pretty easy to get at in the rear wheel well.

The front end of our car is different so my bleeder specs wouldn't help you. Sorry!
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Jaguar is a British Co. (owned by Ford at present)
    Folow this link, http://www.britishfasteners.com/images/catalog.pdf
    maybe it will help.

After we had fought a war to get out from under British rule we couldn't adopt anything of theirs so we had to came up with our own bolt and thred system. (why couldn't we have just went with the metric system then?)
    Last edited by JerryBP; August 31st, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter

Quote Originally Posted by nolastyankee View Post
    David,
    When I wrote the above response to Jim the body wasn't on our car so I could easily get at the rear brakes to measure the thread pitch on the bleeders. The rear brakes are still pretty easy to get at in the rear wheel well.

The front end of our car is different so my bleeder specs wouldn't help you. Sorry!
    Thanks Brian, my front brakes and hub say JFZ all over them?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBP View Post
    Jaguar is a British Co. (owned by Ford at present)
    Folow this link, http://www.britishfasteners.com/images/catalog.pdf
    maybe it will help.

After we had fought a war to get out from under British rule we couldn't adopt anything of theirs so we had to came up with our own bolt and thred system. (why couldn't we have just went with the metric system then?)
    Thanks Jerry..are the english or Jaguar SAE or metric
    Dave

Just read thru the pdf file...are all the fasteners on our cobra this English type, if no, then what are they?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    Just read thru the pdf file...are all the fasteners on our cobra this English type, if no, then what are they?
    Only the jag components have the metric fittings. As for the rest.... it's all American (SAE)
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Only the jag components have the metric fittings. As for the rest.... it's all American (SAE)
    Are the jag components metric or that other stuff(whitworth)?

I have JFZ brake components on the front, I was trying to bleed all the brakes today...the fronts gave me problems, the bleeders were way to tight IMO, also would not work. i removed them, they were 7/16 hex, not 3/8, also, the thread appeared to be different than any of the taps I own, seemed close to 10 metric, and very fine threads. I think I need new bleeders, anybody have a clue of the proper bleeder for this setup?
    I actually bled them buy turning the bleeder outb until the fluid came out of the threads, and I was using a peddle pusher!
    Dave

beer goggles?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

IT depends when your Jag parts were made, Pryor to Ford taking over Jag they were all Whitworth threads (mostly 26tpi) but after Ford started supplying parts around 1985 a lot of the threads are US SAE but now they are changing to Metric.

If your rear Jag Caliper has a G (like attached picture) molded into it, It was made by Girling and the bleeder can be either 7/16 or 3/8 x 24tpi (unless someone has drilled it out and rethreaded it) Jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JerryBP; September 4th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBP View Post
    IT depends when your Jag parts were made, Pryor to Ford taking over Jag they were all Whitworth threads (mostly 26tpi) but after Ford started supplying parts around 1985 a lot of the threads are US SAE but now they are changing to Metric.

If your rear Jag Caliper has a G (like attached picture) molded into it, It was made by Girling and the bleeder can be either 7/16 or 3/8 x 24tpi (unless someone has drilled it out and rethreaded it) Jerry
    Yes, I think it vdoes have a G on the calipers, I will check and take note when I get home today...Thanks Jerry!
    Happen to have any info on my front JFZ brake setup?
    Dave

JFZ Racing brakes were comon in the 70's & 80's, a lot of open wheel cars ran them and also some sportscars racers I think they were aquired by Sierra Racing products. As far as I know the were always American made so they are probably 7/16" SAE threads.
    Sierra ( http://sierraracing.com/cgi-bin/list...?file=specials ) look about half way down the page and see if these are your calipers.
    Last edited by JerryBP; September 4th, 2007 at 11:24 AM.