Thread: Door Weather Striping

Door Weather Striping

After 4-years, my rubber door weather striping is in need of repair. Questions:
    (1) I have used 3M adhesive remover in the past. Are there better products to remove the old adhesive and still not hurt the paint?
    (2) Has anyone used the "peel & stick" type weather striping? If yes, how has it worked out and where did you get it?
    (3) I plan to use 3M weather strip adhesive for re-installation (unless I get good replies for #2 above). Has anyone used a another product (Gorillia Glue) and if so, how did it work out?
    (4) Currently my weather striping is attached to the doors. I am considering re-attaching to the car body. What have others done? Seems like attaching to the stationary member would work best.
    Thanks in advance!

Dennis M. Swann

Dennis mine is attached to the body rather than the doors The color of 3M I am using is yellow (I'm away from home right now so I don't have access to my list of stuff). I think when I removed it I used mineral spirts, I also think I used the pad of my thumb to work it off once I damped it with mneral spirits and followed that with a soft soaping of the area and rinsed clear.

Ralph

Paraffin based charcoal lighter fluid works very well for removing the old glue, without affecting your paint.

Anyone using different Weather Striping? I can see daylight with the doors closed. I drove my car from Florida to Kentucky recently and of course it rained (understatement) water came wright on past the weather striping and my left leg got soaked, my wife right leg got soaked also. anyway anyone useing larger (fatter) weather striping? If so were did you get it and what kind need some info please

Thanks, and keep it between the lines

The Gunner

I found a website at www.soffseal.com that has every kind of weather striping, rubber gromets, etc., that you could think of. They are sending me a catalog, or you can order from their website catalog. They have several different sizes and shapes of weather strip, I'm just uncertain which ones would work best on the Cobra. Maybe Maurice or Alan could provide some help.

Thanks for the advice for removing the old glue.

Dennis M. Swann