Thread: Cruising Tips

Cruising Tips

Greetings. I live in Miami, and I'm heading to North Carolina to look at an FIA (Unique). In the event that I do buy it .. and that the weather forecast is "no rain" for at least 24 hours after I get title .. what tips do you more knowledgeable "cobra guys" ( & gals) have for making a cruise in a cobra. (spare tire? jack?) It's a 900 mile trip, so it's possible that the adrenaline might lessen to a point where I'll actually be able to sleep. I'd be afraid to park my Cobra at a hotel. My goal .. If I do the drive routine .. which I really would like to do .. is to make Jacksonville .. then take a brief rest stop .. and continue to Miami. All recommendations welcome. Adios, Rick Durkin, Miami, FL.

Cell Phone!

Keith

Ditto - cell phone with good coverage and a current AAA emergency roadside service card or equivalent. Tools won't do you any good unless you plan on including a low-profile floor jack

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Agree with above. Here's what's in my trunk kit: 2 cans of fix-a-flat, 2 quarts of oil, zip ties, small socket set, rain gear (jacket/pants), and a couple odd and ends (screwdrivers, fuses, some wire, 100mph tape, etc). Also always have my cell phone and AAA card.

Also, if you're driving from FL to NC it would be well worth your time to contact Clyde Hill (CHILL) and stop by. He lives just north of the city and has a excellent FIA for sale.

Some of the Unique owners here with plenty of seat time may also advise that you bring a big 'ole soft pillow to put between yourself and the seat!

I'd also advise some earplugs. Even in the '66 Mustang with 2 Series Flowmasters out the back, 100 miles of highway drone starts to wear on your brain!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Ditto the ear plugs, I keep several pair in the door pocket. It is not the exhaust it is the wind noise that bothers me.
    I also keep a few spare fuses and a spare glass fuse for the headlight switch (based on past experience) in a zip lock bag with the registration and the insurance card.
    Keith

Take it from someone who bought a Unique built by someone other than the factory. When I bought mine (ironically in Miami) I brought it home via a closed box trailer. I got it off the trailer and got ready to go for a ride, and the brake pedal fell off. Wouldn't have been too fun on I-95. [xx(]

Then I had to replace all the battery cables (poor workmanship), replace the front brake MC (lack of use), and several other things that affected drivability. Everything is great now, but there were several problems up front that if I had tried to drive from Miami to Augusta, would have been a major headache.

I'm sure Gasman could give you his thoughts on this as well.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Rent an aluminum trailer from U-Haul. Take the car home and go through it from bumper to bumper. Every nut, every bolt, all fluids, etc. make sure your "investment" is ready then drive it.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

I will second that advise, that is the only way I would ever get a car home that I know nothing about[xx(].
    It's just not that expensive to do even if you had to pay someone to get it to you in an enclosed trailer.

Rick

Or you can do what I did - fly to NJ, drive it back to Mesa Az in three days - one of the best times I ever had.
    There used to be a sign up at Rawhide ( a cowboy ranch in Scottsdale.)
    It was about the pioneers. "The cowards never attempted it, the weak died along the way, only the strong survived."

Rick, tell us something about the car you are looking at, who built it, how old is it and how you found it.

Alan

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    If you plan to drive it, bring a hat. Remember the hurrcane weather you had in Florida last fall? Having a Cobra is like having your own personal hurricane!!

Bring warm clothing... a good jacket w/high collar and gloves at a minimum. You could see some chilly temps on the trip this time of year. Chilly turns to freezing quickly[:O].

Be very careful, too. I wish I were going along[:P]!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Hey guys thanks. Antsy anticipation can make even the most rational person forget the obvious. Fix-a-flat and AAA, very important. Checking the weather forecast .. not looking exceptional .. and I don't want to get the car wet. Personally, I've done a lot of sailing and I'm used to it .. but I have the idea that I should keep the car dry. (see so may ads 'never driven in the rain'). But I do plan on DRIVING this car, not looking at it. (Just like my Colt Single Action Army Revolvers. Bought a pair for a friends son .. 4 years and he hasn't fired them. Mine, same time period .. 10,000 rounds fired .. that's why they were made)

As far as details .. I want to make sure this is real first, then I will advise. You never know what you get with recommendations from friends. So, we'll see. So far, looks promising. Thanks again for the tips & recommendations!

Rick Durkin

All very good advice, and I second the hat, earplugs, layered clothing (including a hooded sweat shirt to stop the wind off of your neck and ears), sun screen, extra padding to sit on, fix-a-flat, flashlight and tools.

Next....

Hey Rick if you like firing your SAA's then you should think about joining SASS and shoot Cowboy Action. It's a hoot.

see www.sassnet.com

While making the drive, you may also want to check out our own, excelguru's 427 in Columbia SC. Beautiful car.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Joe. I shot Cowboy action for a couple of years .. and that led me to long range side matches .. which led to a Shiloh 40-65. Only 4 weekends in a month, and I work half day Saturdays. I started shooting BPCR Silhouette, and now with (hopefully) the addition of a Cobra .. it will be driving the cobra and getting BPCR matches established at our local (180 miles north) shooting club.

So Rick,

How did it go with the car?

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

John:

#9299, FIA 289, Viking Blue with red team stripe, black interior, 302 motor & Ford T-5 transmission, compomotives with dunlops, MSD, & Holley 600. This car, which is presently in Morgantown North Carolina, has been purchased and will be transported by a car transport company to Coral Gables, Florida by the end of this week!!!

Need to modify the door adjustments (the original shims that came with the car from Unique were apparently lost when the car was painted!) So there is paint scuffing on the body from the door closing. The passenger door latch is broken .. a surprise to the owner. A flex water hose needs to be changed from the motor to the radiator .. it was hitting the belt. Need to come up (design & fabricate) a sturdy steel bracket that can be bolted to the frame .. with a bracket that will go through the floor so the emergency brake can be bolted to it. (that's a concept we discussed and sketched. Like the idea of an emergency brake .. but don't like the idea of bolting ANYTHING to fibreglass.

All in all a great day and a genuine learning experience. In my mind there is nothing prettier from an automotive standpoint that the front view of a 289 Cobra .. at an angle with the tires cocked to one side. This car has roughly 2000 miles on it. The chasis, etc., is shiny black powder coat. Hopefully I can get some touch up paint that will be a close match. Can't wait to get her registered and insured .. and go for a ride down to the Florida Keys!!

I've looked at and admired the 289 Cobra for years .. but today was my first chance to drive one. The car definitely prefers to be driven .. on an open road .. rather than running around in town. What is really great is that when you're driving a Cobra .. you have to concentrate on driving that cobra. It forces you to forget or push aside other thoughts.

I will post some photos once I take a few shots. Look forward to meeting some of you guys!!

Good Drivin % shoot straight!

Rick