Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving Lights

Looks a little too "Gumball Rally" for my taste. Which, if you are really going to go race in a cross-country race, then by all means, keep the lights. You'll need them for the high-speed blasts across Kansas, Colorado, and Utah.

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

Thanks all. I like all the honest opinions. I think I like the way it looks, but I'm not totally convinced. I do like the ability to remove them quickly, so it's a change than be undone in 5 minutes or less.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I too would be very very concerned about air flow. It looks like you are blocking 20 to 30% of the area of the opening for the radiator air.
    It is tough enough to keep things cool with the opening as it is...........

Keith

Keith, I've never had any issues with cooling when moving even at low speeds. Actually, the pusher fans and motors were already blocking much of the same area if you think about it. That's why I centered them in front of the fan motors. My only cooling issues, on very hot days, have been when sitting still for extended periods with just the pusher fans, and even then it never overheated. But, I now have a puller fan behind it too.

But, at the first sign of it running hotter, out they come with nothing irreversible.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Clay,
    The fan motors are inside a larger area than the opening of the inlet, which you are now obstructing.
    I would be concerned with restricting air flow to the radiator. The SPAL fan you have pulls 1300 CFM if that is what it will take to cool your engine in traffic you need 200 sq. in. of open area at .10 of friction. The Friction shouldn't be a factor in such a short distance. So Just calculate the area of your Hella lights and subtract it from the area of the opening. The additional pusher fans are not designed to increase pressure only move air. So they will not help overcome a smaller opening. if you come up with 200sq. in or more you should be fine.

Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Looks like Speed Buggy on the 70's cartoon.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Thanks Tony, but I also still have the working pushers in the front still moving air too. I'll keep a close eye on it. I do like the look at least for now.

If you calculate the area of the pusher fan motors, plus blades and mounting bars (then there's the oil cooler lines and fittings), they are blocking more radiator area than the lights. The lights are in front of those same areas, so if my math is correct, the additional loss is rather insignificant.

Brent, I wasn't still watching cartoons in the 70's, so I don't know what Speed Buggy looks like.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

I think as long as you have 200 sq. in. at the opening then you should be fine. I'd still like to see a photo head on or are you going to make me come by your house to see for myself( hint.. hint.. nudge..nudge ) I'll be in the Annapolis area tomorrow.

Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Tony, I just saw your edits. If the oval opening were perfectly square, it would be 266 sq.in. If the lights were square they would be 72 sq. in. Since they are oval and circular, respectively, they both represent less area, but that would put me in the ball 200 sq. in. ballpark.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Tony, I'm working in DC everyday now and getting home late. But, I'm sure we can work something out.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

Cool! Pardon the pun. Just let me know. The Days are getting longer.
    Work sucks!! Doesn't it. I can't wiat til May when I get my kit.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

I think they look cool as hell myself. Very interested in knowing what you think about them at night. Especially regarding shake & vibration which could cause a "flicker" effect (annoying). My high-beams are probably pretty good but I'd never know because their effect is negated by the 2-Million-candle-power indicator on the dash. I need to put some tape over that thing or somethin'.

Keith
    My car is FOR SALE!

quote:Originally posted by excelguru

My high-beams are probably pretty good but I'd never know because their effect is negated by the 2-Million-candle-power indicator on the dash. I need to put some tape over that thing or somethin'.

Keith
    My car is FOR SALE!
    Hilarious! I noticed the same thing the other night during a cruise home. I was actually using my hand to block the light from the high beam indicator so that I could see!

I always wondered why, in the movies, that the actor's faces are all lit up inside of cars. Now I know. They are using a Unique Cobra high-beam indicator!

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

Being Honest,
    Don't like them[B)], did'nt know you were doing any 24 hour road races.

Rick

Funny Russ.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Well, I don't like your stripes either, so there.................[:P][:P] No 24 hour races for me, or any other for that matter. Think of them as deer lasers.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay,
    Remember, you asked for opinions and total honesty, so here it goes...

I don't care for the look...They remind me of two front teeth!

Cobra fangs perhaps?

Like many others here, however, I am super curious as to how they work. I remember seeing some old pics on CC of comp cars racing in Europe with similar looking yellow Marchal lights in the front of the car.

If you like the lights, that's all that matters. It's your car. Take it from someone who has a long list of folks that don't particularly like their car!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brian.......I put all those smileys into my response to Rick for a reason. I AM interested in all opinions, that's why my first post said "be honest." I was just reviving an old joke about stripes here.

I'm not completely decided myself. Sometimes I like the look, sometimes, I'm not so sure. That's why I installed them with an eye toward taking them off anytime I want with only the small mounting brackets behind the lip still barely visible if you look closely. At $69/pair, call it a cheap dress rehearsal[8D].

Clay

Annapolis, MD