Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homecoming trip hookup

Homecoming trip hookup

Homecoming is getting close! I am going to post our route and we can start making plans to hook up on the way down if our paths should cross.

We are leaving from Columbus Ohio and taking 71S, to 75S, I-24W, I-59S. This takes us through Cincinnati, Burlington, Lexington, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

If your route hits along ours, let see if we can hook up.

ALSO, someone mentioned dinner on thursday May 12. What are the plans?

Thanks

Rick

Rick, I would like to arrive in Gadsden around 3-3:30. Leaving Cincy around 7am would put us there around 3pm. Also I heard there was a mud slide on 75 near the Jelico area and they have a significant detour off of 75.

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Good info on the mud slide! Please keep me posted on additional information regarding the slide.

7AM!!! I would have to leave here at 5! Who knows, I just may do that. Probably better to leave early just in case. Are you trailering or driving?

Rick

Scott, where would be a good place to hook up? I will need to fuel up again so a gas station on the interstate would be ideal.
    Thanks
    Rick

Some new info on I75, looks like it is a non- issue. Rick, I can meet you near Kings Island exit 27 i think.

Thank you for visiting our pages. We would love it if you would Add to this guestbook we are keeping!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding I-75 travel problems: There is a place on I-75 near the 141 mile marker (between Jellico and LaFollette) where the road is falling due to a slope slide.
    Right now, they have the south bound lanes merging into one of the north bound lanes. So for a couple of miles (no more than that) there is just one lane in both directions. There isn't a detour now (except for truckers hauling wide loads).

At it's worst, this might cause a slight delay. I suspect that what you'll actually experience is that traffic moves steadily along at about 45 MPH through that couple of miles then picks back up to 75 MPH right away.

There have been only a few times when this caused large delays. One time was on Good Friday due to the high volume of holiday traffic. Another time was when there was a wreck on that portion of I-75. Unless you are traveling on a holiday, or there just happens to be a wreck when you are coming through (unlikely), you should not really experience any problems.

Scott
    SA 428

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    I had the pleasure of passing through there less than two weeks ago on my way down to Gadsden. It was dark, so it was hard to tell exactly, but it looked like the southbound side of the road split right down the dotted white line and fell away leaving only the passing lane in place. I hope nobody was driving on it then[xx(][xx(]!!

They have indeed spit the northbound lanes so that single lane traffic can pass. The only real hitch is if there is moderate to heavy traffic where it necks down to one lane, then there could be a significant delay... I would guess no more than 30 to 45 minutes at the worst. However, there is bridge work a couple of miles south of there that is also causing delays for similar reasons... one lane traffic in both directions. If you come through late at night (like I did) you will not likely have a problem. During the day it could be dicey. I hope that helps...

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Thanks for the update.

Scott, do you want to make tentative plans to meet at exit 27? Just let me know which station and what you will be driving. We will be driving the Cobra, red with white stripes. As we get closer and if we do meet we can swap numbers and firm up plans.

Rick

I will be going to Knoxville next week-end so I can give you guys an update on I -75 after I return.

Rick

Thanks Rick I hope it isn't too bad I prefer to go that way.

Scott
    SA 428

Rick, Exit 27 is good for me. Several gas stations around. Somewhere around 7am would be great. I am trailering my car.

Scott
    SA 428

Sounds good. Casaleenie should be coming down from Rocky River and may be hooking up with us as well.
    Rick

I went by the exit today it is exit 25 off of I71. There is a large BP station to the right.

Scott
    SA 428

Update on I-75, Lexington,KY to Knoxville, TN.
    Traveled the road Friday and returned yesterday. The mud slide area is still under construction but was no problem for either lane on both days.
    However the bigger problem is about 15-18 miles North of Knoxville in both lanes as they are painting 2 bridges, about a 1 mile section. Traffic was really bad going North from Knoxville Friday and Sunday.
    South bound traffic was moveing pretty good. So it will get you on the return trip from Gadsden.
    No other problems other than the KY section of I-75 sucks!!!
    Our Interstates are the worst in the South, don't know what they do with the money[?], rough as can be.

Rick

Getting closer! I picked up another member or two for our caravan.
    Rick

Exit 25 at the BP station at 7AM sounds good. I may have one or two other cars along with me. Scott, Master, I don't have your phone numbers on the OCC members spreadsheet. Could you email them to me. I will drop you a note with mine as well. Unless you hear otherwise, see you next Thursday bright and early!

Oh, you are trailering correct? I may have a luggage overflow issue if you have some room in the trailer! Wife is coming you know.

Rick

Master, that is the Kings Island exit isn't it? Which side of the interstate is the BP on?
    Thanks
    Rick

Rick, I have plenty of room in the truck for luggage and the BP is on the I71 south side directly off exit 25, yes this is one of the exits for kings island. I will be trailering the car down even if I can't get the title in time.

Scott
    SA 428

Got your note. Glad to hear you are coming one way or another.
    Rick

Chris Knueval(sp) is going to hook up with us as well at exit 25. Now there are four of us meeting up there! Looking at NOAA, there is a chance that our drive home will be wet Oh well. That just means more trunk space if I have to put up the top

My wife loves to stop at farmers markets and places like that. I was like hunny, we don't have the space for a grape much less a bunch of produce.

Rick

We are still on! See all of you bright and early tomorrow morning. Really looking foward to the trip!
    Thanks
    Rick