Thread: flywheel and clutch questions

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

flywheel and clutch questions

Guys,

After seeing Brent's posts about the throw-out bearing, I find I have some questions. http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1317

What flywheel do we use for the small blocks, say 289 to 351? How do you determine the number of teeth, etc. to use? Is 157 typical?

What about clutch diameter and brand?

Thanks,

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Lots of folks use steel flywheels; bulletproof durable, help the engine idle down low, help with getting car moving with steeper (i.e., 3.08) rear gearing. Aluminum wheels about half the weight of steel, maybe a bit less durable (most have steel insert faces these days, so durability isn't as much an issue anymore), will enable the engine to rev MUCH quicker. I like aluminum wheels...really like that snappy sprint-car-like rush to the rev limiter [:P]

Big diff is the external balance factor. Most 289 / 302's use 28 oz. balance, and most 351's use 50 oz. (I think...)balance. Number of teeth is generally pre-ordained - 157/158 will work just fine.

Stock clutches will work just fine also. If a 3400 lb. Mustang can get 50K++ miles out of a stock clutch, your 2400 lb. Cobra won't hurt it. Stock size for the 289/302 is 10.5" - and there is no need to go any bigger. If you stick to diaphragm-type pressure plates you will be pleasantly surprised at how light the clutch effort will be. Some will tell you these tend to stick to the floor at over 6000 rpm; they used to but new tech is much better and this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Any aftermarket clutch (Zoom, etc.) will work dandy.

Unless you plan on a bunch of drag racing, stock-type parts will work very well for you. If drag racing is your calling, then go to good aftermarket parts with a scattershield...clutches don't blow up too often but when they do it ain't pretty...and since your knees will be in a direct line with the clutch in this car...you can figure this one.

Yeehah

Turnpike and Slither,

I can't help with clutches, but...Early 351's use the 28 oz. balance factor just like the 289/302's. When Ford went to the 5.0 and the 5.8 they went to the heavier balance factor. Not sure what the year is when the switch happened, but it is sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.

The number of teeth on the flywheel is determined by the bellhousing and the starter position.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car