Thread: juanone 289 drivetrain 03

juanone 289 drivetrain 03

Last night Rick Bagley and I took the first steps towards installing Roller Rockers on my 302. Here are some photos of the process. In the first photos you see the difference between the Rocker arms that came with the crate engine and the Competition Cam Pro Magnum Steel Rockers.

After the first few photos you see the installation of the Crane Stud Replacement Kit. We installed the studs and torqued them to 25'lbs with some lock tight on the studs. They will stay like this overnite to let the lock tite to cure then we will install the Competition Cam Pro Magnum Steel Rockers. Enjoy the photos. This has been such a wonderful process of seeing the proper way to install and adjust the Roller Rockers versus the original crate engine roquers.

As usual Rick is the master builder and I the gofer and cleaner. Enjoy the photos.

This first two photos show the difference between the original crate engine rockers and the Competition Cam Pro Magnum Steel Rockers

The photo below shows a close up on the Crane Stud Replacement on #1 cylinder

The photo below show a close up on the Competition Cam Pro Magnum Steel Rockers assembly. This is what they all will look like once we let the studs cure overnight

This last photo illustrates all of the Crane stud replacements and they will stay like this overnight until they cure with lock tite

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Nice Juan, I appreciate seeing the photos !

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

That conversion kit with the guide plates is really slick. It sure beats machining the head bosses.

Looking good Juan!

Will your car be at Unique next week?

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Rick and Juan, Really slick, I like those guide plates. Looking good can't wait to hear it running!

Ralph

The stud kit is Crane, the Roller Rockers are Competition Cam Pro Magnum Steel Rockers, stock pushrods.

Rick

Rick are you going to change your name from eliminator to master builder?

Alan

Brent:

The chassis is very likely to be finished but the body may still be at the finishing stages of painting. Who knows, maybe we will be able to see the body as well. I think at this stage Maurice and Alan don't want to rush the painetrs, neither do I. I have waited this long so a few more days will not matter. I want a nice job and so do the Weavers. I can't wait.

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
    Kentucky Cobra Club
    2432 Crittenden Drive
    Suite 201
    Louisville, KY 40217
    502-635-5711
    juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Juan or Rick,
    Are those studs pressed in? Looks like a different setup than I have seen before.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Wait a minute I'm the Master.

Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Scott what is the suffix??
    Master......what[?]
    Brian,
    They are a screw in stud. Since the SVO Ford Heads have a 5/16" threaded hole that holds the stock rocker in you have a 5/15" stud that screws in the head with a 3/8" stud for the rocker assy. Crane makes this conversion kit.
    No Alan,
    I am still the Eliminator, or Master Blaster.

Rick

Juan--looking good. Son Cyrus installed a similar set on set of dart heads with some kind of cam, can,t rem., but man what a hot little engine. Bring it on home Rick, pretty piece of machinery, makes me want to get wrenches and work on something. Will-alabama

Rick,
    Those studs must not have a hex drive on them then, and the guideplate goes on afterward?

I am used to the ARP Chevy style studs that drop in above the guide plate...Nice and simple. Just trying to figure out how that setup goes together! I like the nylon insert for the pushrod. Nice!

Brian Carlson

Brian your heads must be machined for screw in studs. On Juans motor the slots for the stamped steel rockers are still present. To overcome this they use a stud that is 5/16 on one end and 3/8 on the other and the stud has no hex drive at all. They install like studs do with thread lock.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

You are right Brent, our heads have screw in style bosses. I am just surprised that the aluminum SVO Ford heads are not the same.

Brian Carlson