Thread: Cooling System Plumbing Question

Cooling System Plumbing Question

On the 'Spence Car' we are working on plumbing and wiring the engine and the time has come to fabricate up a bracket for the Harrison tank and start a plan for the radiator. I understand how the Harrison tank is supposed to work, and where the inlets and outlets connect on the engine.

Before cutting any metal, I am wondering if there is any consideration needed for the height of the tank relative to the radiator or water pump? Since the system is driven from the water pump itself and not gravity fed I don't think it makes a difference, but wanted to check in with the experts first.

Thoughts?

On a similar note, is there any consideration for radiator inlet placement relative to the outlet on the intake manifold?

Thanks all. 9 days to Homecoming!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brian, the tank principally serves as the fill point and an overflow to the radiator; that, and the fact that the radiator has no cap, would have you set the mid-section of the tank about equal to the top third of the top radiator tank.

Since the top radiator inlet is the return side, and as you pointed out the system is a pumped system, it's not gonna make much difference since hood height (above) and the pavement (below) will kind of dictate just where the radiator can go.

Yeehah