Thread: Tires, what a compromise

Tires, what a compromise

When I bought the car it had old TA's on it. Horrible ride, didn't stick at all. Then I put Hoosier TDs on it. The car felt liberated. So much more light and nimble. They reduced my times in autocross by about 10%! That is a big jump. But they wandered, did ride all that great and picked up every rock in a one mile radius. Yesterday I mounted up a set of Avid S/T's. They balance up beautifully. Road force on the new Hunter machine (9800?) which is all done by laser (so I am told) was at worst 10 pounds with two tires being 5 or less. Very little weight. Compared to the 'slicks', you can really feel that tread squirm. But the cars ride was greatly improved and the car is much easier to drive and steering effort greatly reduced. I have not had a chance to push them around at all because the left rear rubbed pretty good. It was hitting a bump out on the front inside of wheel well. A little time with a grinder and some touch up work seems to have taken care of that. Both the hoosiers and the avids where 275/60s but there sure is a lot of tread on the avids! Sure the side wall is pretty busy and they will not grip like the TD's but for a driving or crusing tire I am so far very pleased.

Like just about everything else that has to do with a car, compromise is a fact. Tires certainly no different. Each of the three sets I have run on the car fealt completely different and had their benefits (although with the TA's they where very few!). One set of tires can not do all things perfectly. To bad

Rick

Rick, are you running 15" wheels? I've got to find an eventual replacement for my 16" rims and it doesn't look like like there are many choices.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Yep, 15" PS Engineering. I like them a lot. If I truly wanted an all around higher performance setup I would have 18's in the rear and 17's in the front[xx(] Just can't bring myself to that. This is by far the smoothest riding, nicest cruising tire I have had on the car.
    Rick

Last I heard, Jerry Rowley was selling his 17" PS Engineering rims (they fit the Trigo hubs).

[EDIT] Info on his rims/tires:
    Fronts are 17x9 with Khumo 275-17/45
    Rears are 17x11 with 315-17/45

I think he was asking $1700 + shipping for the set. I have his phone number around here SOMEwhere...

Keith
    My car is FOR SALE!

1500 miles on the Avids in the last four days. All that steering wheel shake that so many complain about, GONE. Rock steady. Let go of the wheel cruising along at 80, the wheel does not move, period..... unless you hit a bump of course and then it returns right to where it is.

I can not imagine how it could be possible to do any better with the current choices out there for a 15" cruising/driving tire.

Brent, you know I like you idea about the tires look, please keep me informed!

Rick