Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concensus!

Concensus!

Today is one for the record books. I have decided to record it not only for posterity, but to hold ourselves to the committment. Yes, believe it or not, we have finally agreed upon a color for the Spence car.

We have also found a painter. There is a local guy over by Tulsa that came by recommendation of the Shelby dealer in Oklahoma City.

(Believe it or not, there is enough Shelby sales in Oklahoma to justify a dealer. I know, it blew me away too...)

Anyway...this painter has done 35 Cobra's, including a couple of the real deal, and many Kirkhams, and more Shelby's. He's super fussy and has all the anal retentive qualities that us engineers love. We should get along well.

The plan is for the car to go over around July 4th and be back in August.

And the color is....
    Dark blue with yellow FIA stripe and meatballs. Just like this...

But with this color blue...

I'm not quite sure how to act now that we know the color. It feels kinda foreign. Oh my god, could we be getting close to finishing this car?

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Beautiful combination!

Should look good in the Pigeon Forge sunlight in September. (-:

Congrats Brian.

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Excellent choice!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Well heck yeah!

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Great choice Brian and not an easy thing to do!

Ralph

Exceptional choice!

Keith
    My car is FOR SALE!

Especially exceptional, in that it doesn't use the same-old, tired stripes that everybody else uses[}].

Seriously, that Shelby FIA in the first photo above has always been one of my all-time favorites.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

quote:Originally posted by clayfoushee

[}].

Seriously, that Shelby FIA in the first photo above has always been one of my all-time favorites.

Clay

Annapolis, MD
    same here, if i do another car somewhere down the road, thats it. brian, your car will look great in dark blue. later, brian

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Clay,

I really like that first FIA as well [:P], though the boss wants red . If it has to be red it is OK by me, 'cause either way it is gonna to be sweet !!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

All true. If I do another, it will either be a solid red FIA, or a FIA just like the one in the first pic, both with white pipes and wheels............decisions, decisions. This may sound like heresy, but I'm craving a small-block FIA Cobra, high-revving 302-based, warmed-over and stroked.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    No heresy involved Clay [}]... remember, that is basically the winning combo from the old days !!!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Yeah the 289 was the award winner, but there were a lot of complicated reasons for that, all related to the fact that "timing is everything." By the time the 427 became available, aero-design began to take over on the FIA circuit, roadsters were becoming "bricks," and Ford shifted it's financial backing to the new GT-40. The 427 Cobra was an anachronism and never was developed as a factory-sponsored racer, although many privateers did OK with it on the smaller circuits. Of course, the 427FE lived on as a 3-time LeMans winner and world champion in the GT-40, until it was banned out of existence by the FIA.

For other reasons, I just crave the high-revving small block, since I can't use the BB torque in anything I'm doing.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Nothing wrong with having one of each. I like all the Cobras.In the back of my mine is a second Cobra( since all of those who don't understand say "IT ONLY HAS TWO SEATS" YEA! what's your point! My van only has two seats.)
    A 427 just happens to be my first love.

Brian Great color pick![8D]

Clay, You just need a bigger garage

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Great color choice, Brian

Paul

WOW [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

My persoanl favorite of all the BLUE'S.[^]

Rick

I never had any doubt that the color you picked would look great. I was really nice to finally meet you at Homecoming.

Clay, I think an FIA is some where in my future as well. But I am thinking more serious road car and less show car in my choices. We like to drive these things all over the country and some of the bits prove to be a bit tiring if you know what I mean. I am watching Juan's ride with great interest. I may even, GASP, go to 'real' seats (heated,power, high back and head 'rests'), larger rims, stereo (hidden nicely of course), overdrive, stalk mounted controls, glove box, and less leaky top (insulated too), heat and air, fuel injection, under car exhaust, "twin hoops" (but no outside braces), etc. Everything trying to keep with a 60's feel or look as much as possible but just more geared toward living with on long trips. I am constantly torn between historical accuracy and 'livability'. Until I come to a compromise that I am happy with I will keep on thinking about it!

Rick

Brian, that dark blue number 98 has a FIA snout but it looks like it also has 427 brake vents. What manufacturer is it?
    Bob

Bob,
    The dark blue car in the picture is actually a Hi-Tech aluminum replica of CSX3002, the first 'real' 427 car. Even though it is a 427, with the 4 into 4 headers, coil spring chassis, and stretched body, it still wore the FIA nose. This aluminum replica is one of the finest on the road and virtually identical to CSX3002.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

It's kind of like the one they named the "turd"